RuneQuest

CatsEye Yellow

I am not an expert on Glorantha by any stretch.

But when we started playing RQ we started with this stuff:

Wayne's World of Books - Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Foreign Language, Role Playing Games, History, Maps

River of Cradles

Sun County

Strangers in Prax

Are good resources for just playing. Lots of characters, maps, and scenarios.

These are all based on RQ3.

I don't know what MRQ has out.

Here are a couple of other websites.

Etyries.com - Nick Brooke's Home Page

Simon Phipp - RuneQuest/D100/Glorantha Home Page

Apple Lane, the introductory adventures which came with RQ2.

Or maybe Snakepipe Hollow, if you can get it.

Pavis, Sun County and Griffin Mountain are great too, of course - it's just that they aren't in Dragon Pass, technically.

Have fun!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

If you can get it, start with the old RQ2 Borderlands boxed set. It probable one of the best campaign packs ever written. There is an RQ3 version of it, too.

The campaign pack sets up the PCs as hired mercenaries in a border area. It is nice for beginning GMs and players as it gives a lot of information of the area, and is written in such a way that the PCs can learn along the way. It comes with 7 pamphlet adventures that make a campaign, and are of increasing difficulty. It even starts off with the characters taking a "tour" of the campaign area and meeting some of the major characters and groups.

The isolated nature of the setting means that GMs and players don't have to deal with everything at once, and can pick up a lot of the Glorantha specific stuff gradulally.

The set also gives a lot of extra information and plot threads that makes it easy to write additional adventures in the area, and comes with a booklet of prewritten NPC and monsters. Pavis (and the Big Rubble) are reasonably close by, so it is fairly easy to send the PCs there if desired, and use those campaign packs.

Of course, the big question is what rule set are you using? RQ2? RQ3? MRQ? BRP?

Depending on what rules you are using you may have to adapt some things. MRQ is the least like the other three, and probably takes the most work to covert to and from, but its not impossible.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Oh, yes I should mention that my experience with RQ is primarily by King of Dragon Pass game. So if that somehow helps...

Hmm, that's set in the middle of the 3rd Age. The normal adventuring period is the 'Hero Wars' of late 3rd Age, c.1620+, when the Lunars have invaded and occupy Sartar. (Mongoose stuff is for the historical 2nd Age, which is completely different - and not proper RQ either).

There's plenty of information out there on events in those periods (this, for example), but I don't know of actual adventure modules set there (aside from the 2 I mentioned above). The King of Dragon Pass game is probably the best reference for everyday life there, pre-Lunar invasion.

Stuff Greg Stafford/Issaries is putting out these days seems a bit wacky (too much so for me, anyway) and is for his HeroQuest system (which some people round here like, but I don't and it's definitely not RQ/BRP!). I don't know it, but this looks like it might be useful background info: Dragon Pass (aka Kerofinela) book, and then there's the oddly-written histories ofKing of Sartar

In a way, there's too much information. Some people might be scared of doing things that don't 'fit'. But don't be. Choose a time, a place, make up your own stuff and dive in!

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

There's not much RQ material for Dragon Pass - most RQ material is for Prax/Pavis.

As far as I can remember, the only RQ products for Dragon Pass are Snakepipe Hollow, Apple Lane/Rainbow Mounds and RQ Companion which covers the Holy Country.

As frogspawner says, there is a lot more material on Dragon Pass for HeroQuest. Now, the HeroQuest system is not RQ/BRP but has enough in common that it is fairly easy to use for RQ, a lot easier to use than, say, D20 is. There is a lot of HeroQuest material out for Dragon Pass - The Sartar Rising series, Tarsh Exiles/Wintertop Fair, some of the Unspoken Word series, Tarsh in Flames, Moon Rites, Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe. The Dragon Pass book is full of system-independent material that can be used with RQ with no problem at all. They have a lot of Gloranthan material and fit in fairly well together. The NPC stats are in HeroQuest terms but can be used for RQ without much problem, the cults are similar in structure to RQ cults and you can convert them on the fly or use Hero Wars Cults Conversion - Cults which has a number of cults converted to a RQ short form.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I don't know. I like the fact that RQ seems both down to earth, rural if you will, and still epic. I hope that no one will take this comment too seriously but I when I read some of the RQ supplements I got the same feeling as when I read 'Bone' by Jeff Smith. Rural, mythic, fantasy that freely mixes humorous and epic. So, I felt that after several unpleasant campaigns my players (and me to be honest) would love something like that.

Of course, I am still torn between running Elric! and RQ 2nd edition so in the end I could swing in the direction of Young Kingdoms :)

I don't know. I like the fact that RQ seems both down to earth, rural if you will, and still epic. I hope that no one will take this comment too seriously but I when I read some of the RQ supplements I got the same feeling as when I read 'Bone' by Jeff Smith. Rural, mythic, fantasy that freely mixes humorous and epic. So, I felt that after several unpleasant campaigns my players (and me to be honest) would love something like that.

Of course, I am still torn between running Elric! and RQ 2nd edition so in the end I could swing in the direction of Young Kingdoms :)

Why not? I'm a great admirer of "Bone."

Rockjaw and Granny would make great NPC's.

If you are really into GLorantha, you might want to look at HeroQuest. It has an even more mythic/epic feel than RQ, but uses a differernt game system and isn't for every RQ fan.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Borderlands was mentioned up thread. It has been rereleased as Borderlands & Beyond and looks like a lot of fun, with a great mixture of old school gaming and lots of Glorantha introduced as you move from scenario to scenario. It's the one old RQII release I never read, played, or ran. I've been reading it lately and wish I had a local group to subject to it!

Pavis & Big Rubble has more adventuring in a similar region and covers a wide range of activities, from traditional adventuring to clan/family politics to inter-city politics. In either case, Cult Compendium covers various 3rd Age Glorantha cults in detail and is excellent. The fourth of the re-releases is Griffin Mountain which is also packed full of goodness. I'd highly recommend all of these books for RQII/III or BRP to get into Glorantha.

As mentioned, HeroQuest is also set in 3rd Age Glorantha and it has had a lot of releases. The King of Dragon Pass game has a feel to it that sits somewhere halfway between the HQ and RQ version of the game, to me, so HQ might be worthwhile too. I really like it.

I can't saying anything bad about playing Elric! or old Stombringer (my favorite is 1st/3rd edition), and have run numerous games in that world using much of the published material. I once started a RQIII game with the characters as Vikings (see Vikings for RQIII). After many adventures around Europe they ended up on a large island in the Atlantic: customized Griffin Island. After many adventures there, they left the island and ended up in the sack of Imrryr. Their boat was the one that got away with Elric on board. They then spent considerable time wandering around the Young Kingdoms getting into trouble, before finally getting into serious Multiverse plane hopping. Sorry about the digression, but it brought back memories! :)