Runequest 2 scenarios update to RQG

Kevinrune

I am thinking about taking RQ2 scenarios and updating NPC stats to RQG. If we cloud source  it we can get some real traction. I know RQG is great but the old scenarios were awesome. As a group we can pick a starting scenario and then divvey up the NPC'S. 

Then we can all use them with our groups. Whats your thoughts. We could do it all in a forum thread.

2 hours ago, Kevinrune said:

I am thinking about taking RQ2 scenarios and updating NPC stats to RQG. If we cloud source  it we can get some real traction. I know RQG is great but the old scenarios were awesome. As a group we can pick a starting scenario and then divvey up the NPC'S. 

Tell you the truth I have been using them as is. That the stats differ fractionally should not be a problem. I think for the most part the SRs and SRMs are very close. Hit locations are the same.  I seem to recall a very small change as to HPs but it isn't a common problem (high POW bonus? can not recall) and again it is slight.

Spells are a little different  (cost and effects as well as casting... CHA vs INT) so make up some charts of Rune spells and their cults that you will encounter that evening, a list of common spells (seeing as many NPCs will have them) and then just have the rules near at hand for fast checks. I think that for the most part battle magic and spirit magics are similar,  Unfamiliar spells toss or replace or make it up,

I am thinking the amount of work required to restat all the NPCs versus a little hard waving... The rules really and truly are very close between RQ2 and RQ RiG.

Just remember to not decrease the NPCs numbers, or strengths. You may end up wanting to increase them instead as the main difference twixt the two games is power levels.. As this is impossible to create formulas for, you will have to scale according to your PCs abilities

Of course, do not let me dissuade you. I thought the same thing myself at first. In the end though It's your hobby and the only way to do it wrong is to not enjoy it.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

As Bill the barbarian says, I'd run them as is, apart from replacing old spells and adjusting HPs. The main issue is going to be that the standard RQG timeline is a generation later than RQ2 was, when the Lunars no longer occupy Dragon Pass. So you either have to base your RQG campaign earlier (which means handling CharGen backgrounds slightly differently) or try to update the old scenarios (which could be a lot of work).

58 minutes ago, Sumath said:

As Bill the barbarian says, I'd run them as is, apart from replacing old spells and adjusting HPs. The main issue is going to be that the standard RQG timeline is a generation later than RQ2 was, when the Lunars no longer occupy Dragon Pass. So you either have to base your RQG campaign earlier (which means handling CharGen backgrounds slightly differently) or try to update the old scenarios (which could be a lot of work).

gordian knot my good man, gordian knot!

and thanks PhilHibbs. Forgot that, but it is a major note!

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

12 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Tell you the truth I have been using them as is. That the stats differ fractionally should not be a problem. I think for the most part the SRs and SRMs are very close. Hit locations are the same

Me too! I have a reference card to help me sort out other stats:

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I was thinking of starting on the Tenement scenario.

I'm not familiar with this. What's the reference? Who wrote it?

Where do you think we should start. I have contacted Chaosium to get permission to publish. What do you think should I set up a website to put the post or can we do I here?

If you do a website and it's a Chaosium scenario , you will need to adhere to this: https://www.chaosium.com/fan-material-policy/

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, Kevinrune said:

I was thinking of starting on the Tenement scenario. Where do you think we should start. I have contacted Chaosium to get permission to publish. What do you think should I set up a website to put the post or can we do I here?

Chaosium has plans to create a RuneQuest fan-publishing initiative on DTRPG, like the DM's Guild for D&D (or their own CoC "Miskatonic Repository).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Kevinrune said:

THE BIG RUBLE  rq2 short scenario. Good for beginners.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about this. In my head it's just part of the Griffin Gate scenarios.

-----

Conversion wise, if you're going to do it, most of it is very straight forward. The 4 troll zombies need little if any work (Bestiary p129), likewise the jack-o-bear (Bestiary p101), Gorp (Bestiary p99), 3 trollkin (Bestiary p77) and Gargoyle (Bestiary p119). The dark troll (Bestiary page 75) initiate of Kyger Litor needs some rune points and some runes. The Bestiary says "All trolls have the Darkness Rune of at least 60%" and Kyger Litor's magic is on page 80. Absorption and Blinding seem appropriate, the others take too long and three rune points.

-----

Thought everyone would like to know that Rick seems to like the idea. He sent me this email. So I guess we need to figure out how to coordinate our work so we do not over lap each other.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for sending the NPC samples. I have cc'd David Scott on this reply, as he is one of our IT gurus.
I'd like Chaosium to be the keeper of these stats, and have them on one of our websites.
You are welcome to prepare more converted stats, and provide them to us. We will be providing these for free to the public once they are all done and we know how to store/distribute them.
You and anyone else assisting with these conversions will be credited for your efforts. How does that sound?

Regards,
Rick Meints

• Like 1

How would you handle Blade Venom? Not sure what to replace it with since it can quickly turn the tide of battle.

Usually, I don't. Access to this stuff is limited to professional assassins with a professional cult behind them, and I haven't had players that willing to make murdering people their character's day job. If such a player should turn up, he'd have to work his way through a number of marital cases and inheritance cases before getting put on someone bad. And yes, this is a test whether the player will stomach that much killing, whether the other players will, and whether I as GM will.

I would restrict blade venom to weapons which have a groove, hollow point or similar to take in that venom in a fairly volatile form. Coating the edge of a blade appears to be fairly impossible. Coating the flat side with anything sticky enough to last while it penetrates textiles and skin is likely to be too sticky to deliver the venom to the blood circulation. Also, any bleeding wound is bound to wash out any venom.

Delivering a disease spirit with an infectious blade will be similarly challenging, although unlike the venom, the disease spirit may work its way in from contaminated textiles or skin.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

How would you handle Blade Venom? Not sure what to replace it with since it can quickly turn the tide of battle.

If the original creature/NPC has blade venom, acid, whatever, the conversion to RQG effort should just try to produce the best RQG equivalent. Many older scenarios have blade venom in them. RQG has rules for handling poison, so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a basic way to handle the conversion. The alternative would just be to drop blade venom from the converted NPCs, but I am unsure how that would affect the lethality of the NPCs, other than generally saying their lethality would decrease.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

6 hours ago, Kevinrune said:

How would you handle Blade Venom?

RQ2 Blade Venom: "This is a special type of poison, made for use on a weapon. It is expensive and time consuming to learn to make. Like acid, it is rated in potency levels of 1 to 20. Damage from blade venom acts only against the hit location affected as with weapon damage. If the attack with blade venom, as shown below, does not work, the poison will have ½ effect.... Blade venom is a highly volatile liquid and will have lost its potency by the end of 3 full turns (15 minutes). In combat, blade venom will stay on the weapon for 3 strikes against armor, or for 1 penetration."

So, just give it a POT, realize its damage only goes against one hit location, not total hit points, and it is of very limited duration.

Otherwise, treat as Systemic poison (or alternately choose mineral poison) of same POT and apply against total hit points.

6 hours ago, Kevinrune said:

How would you handle Blade Venom?

RQ2 Blade Venom: "This is a special type of poison, made for use on a weapon. It is expensive and time consuming to learn to make. Like acid, it is rated in potency levels of 1 to 20. Damage from blade venom acts only against the hit location affected as with weapon damage. If the attack with blade venom, as shown below, does not work, the poison will have ½ effect.... Blade venom is a highly volatile liquid and will have lost its potency by the end of 3 full turns (15 minutes). In combat, blade venom will stay on the weapon for 3 strikes against armor, or for 1 penetration."

So, just give it a POT, realize its damage only goes against one hit location, not total hit points, and it is of very limited duration.

Otherwise, treat as Systemic poison (or alternately choose mineral poison) of same POT and apply against total hit points.