Glorantha Miniatures

borbetomagnus

Does anyone know if the set of Dark Hold Duckmen miniatures from Rebel Minis is the same set that Mongoose Publishing produced some years ago when they were publishing Mongoose Runequest & Runequest II? The image here looks to be the same set, but I've only seen one photo years before of the Mongoose Publishing Duck miniatures, and my memory may be failing. 

Anyway, the Rebel Minis set looks different from the images of Durulz that I'm used to seeing in publications. These minis look more "anthropomorphic" than illustrations I've seen in published RQ and Glorantha books.

Does anyone have this set of Dark Hold Duckmen, and are they the right size, proportionally, to other 28mm Glorantha miniatures?

I just backed the latest Mad Knight kickstarter for 28mm Glorantha miniatures. It only runs for the next 9 days: 

Troll Caravan. 28mm Runequest Glorantha Miniatures

Here's the description of this set of minis:

"This is THE TROLL CARAVAN,  a 28mm white metal miniatures caravan full of Trollish goodness which is my fourth Kickstarter.

Zathros of Halikiv  is an Argan Argar priest and his caravan beetles its way from Dagori Inkarth to Pavis, then to the Holy Country via  Prax and Sartar every year. Zathros rides a giant beetle and is accompanied by a host of trollkin and troll guards, both living and dead. The caravan normally moves at night time and rests up during the day. Trollkin on small beetles scout ahead of the caravan. The main body of the caravan is guarded by full trolls and undead great trolls on giant beetles. Trollkin porters will fight if necessary and it is rumoured that some of the beetles are themselves intelligent. A full set of RQG stats will be provided to backers via email regardless of their pledge level. 

All figures sold via my Kickstarters' will be fully supported by the upcoming Wargame rules Glorantha : Skirmish War. There are five rewards in this Kickstarter. These are all priced at the same amount so if you wish you can chop and change during the survey process. Rewards are all 28mm heroic scale and are compatible with my previous Kickstarter projects."

I've been collecting all of Mad Knight's Glorantha miniatures and am close to having all of the Broo raiders painted.

• Like 1

A query at a slight tangent... I tried to look it up, but did not find recent info:

Who's working on / what is the status of the "Glorantha Skirmish War" rules mentioned?  Where can I follow that to stay up to date?

Edited by g33k
Typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

17 hours ago, Joerg said:

Is there a chance to get live dark troll beetle riders other than fleshing those skeletons up yourself?

There's also a few beetle-riding trollkins (live ones). But yeah, I'm not sure about the skeletons either. I'm actually surprised to see the undead used like this in such a casual way... where is this from? Is there some material I missed that establishes reanimated skeletons as a common sight outside of Delecti's swamp?

6 hours ago, g33k said:

Who's working on / what is the status of the "Glorantha Skirmish War" rules mentioned?

I was surprised to see it mentioned. Last I heard, the Glorantha Skirmish stuff was supposed to be from DishDash Games (who have a bunch of other skirmish game lines), but I thought that deal actually fell through and was officially dead. I don't know if that's incorrect, or if someone else picked it up? (I wouldn't be surprised to see Petersen Games flying down from the skydome to save the day).

At first glance I was a bit disappointed by this Kickstarter (I bought a whole bunch of units from MadKnight's previous releases). While it looks awesome, it didn't look like a very generally applicable set of miniatures... but I noticed that you can get beetles without any packs, or beetles with trollkin riders (which would make it appropriate for a general encounter in Dagori Inkarth or Prax or something), along with the troll shield wall minis from a previous Kickstarter that I missed.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

I've backed all of MadKnight's kickstarters so far, and am super thrilled with them.  The main thing that I am hoping for, is the exotic cavalry -- Sable Riders in particular.  Beetles kind of qualify, but I was much more excited for the Troll Shield wall, trollkin, and Zorak Zoran based family unit. 

Trolls are a super common enemy for players, and those guys are very hard to get any type of reasonable miniatures for. 

image.png.8c6ab944e590d81e48452e640bd67d92.png

image.png.317177f654aadec6148c79af3a283683.png

Edited by Dissolv
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Wow those minis look awesome, good job. Mine are still shamefully unpainted, because I suck.

Don't worry, most of mine are too. :) @Dissolv, lovely work with those minis! They look really good.

My favorite from Mad Knight's line are probably the broo, because there's such a diversity of animals involved. In particular, the elephant and the bison broo are fun. The one problem I've had is that some minis have uneven bottoms, making standing them upright tricksy.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

12 hours ago, Crel said:

In particular, the elephant and the bison broo are fun. The one problem I've had is that some minis have uneven bottoms, making standing them upright tricksy.

Yeah those Broos are really nice although (more shamefully) I haven't assembled them yet (I still need to research what kind of glue I need). But yes I've noticed that their base is uneven -- I think it's because they're not meant to be used as a base, and instead you're supposed to glue that to a "real" base like @Dissolv did.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Here are some of the figures I've finished painting.

Broo pack from MadKnight...

_1710827.jpg.eabef97c306ea9f4d7a79716c0b36d56.jpg_1710828.jpg.67ac999e983f02bbf10bff53ba088872.jpg_1710829.jpg.2ece939f627e6f6a07e11fcb6f7bc3d5.jpg_1710830.jpg.71b93d8b72579f2ab5847753f108d35c.jpg_1710831.jpg.356dbd2af7fd7c9980b54cece0e344c0.jpg_1710832.jpg.fafec9072cba8dfb76e2678d158b9f09.jpg

For some reason, I ended up with two of the rhino broo when I placed my order. So, I cut-off the axe head from one of them and glued a flail spiked ball and chain that I had removed from some other non-Gloranthan figure. 

I'm still slowly painting the remaining Broo pack figures.

_1710834.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, seneschal said:

Eek!  I thought broo were only deer and antelope type things.  If you're throwing pachyderm things at us that's a whole new level of threat.

Yes, as scary as the thought on an elephant broo, the thought of a rhino broo truly scares me, though. Almost as much as the sire would.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Yes, as scary as the thought on an elephant broo, the thought of a rhino broo truly scares me, though. Almost as much as the sire would.

Broosaurus rex, Bill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Excellent work guys, keep them coming.  🙂  

I have misc. barbarians for Orlanthi, and various Hoplites/Pikemen in the works for Lunar heavy infantry.  I've also got some Parthians that double very well as Dara Happan Lunars.  But if anyone can track down a good source for Praxian Nomads, please post ASAP!

image.png.bfd10cfd3c9171fabf863ceb2ff52eac.png

image.png.9355de6c84597f033995b2862909d8a8.png

And of course, there are always the old Lance and Laser figures.

image.png.12241d00446886f2e45a2e76237ca21d.png

And Foundry Trojan War are nearly ideal.

image.png.b2a6ed18903025c1cf98602d70f82e20.png

And always the classics.

image.png.1f7f3eea12f8df04339960788c957deb.png

Edited by Dissolv
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, seneschal said:

Eek!  I thought broo were only deer and antelope type things.  If you're throwing pachyderm things at us that's a whole new level of threat.

Oh no... not at  all. Some of the things that come out of the Nargan Desert would astound... and then you die.

SDLeary

On 4/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, pachristian said:

Armorcast.com has the Lance & Laser models. Until a few weeks ago they had fine baboons, dragonnewts, Walktipus, and so on. However, they’ve updated their web sites and some of the models - including all of the dragonnewts are gone. What’s even worse is that I had an account and a standing order (which included dragonnewts), and when they updated the website, my account and order vanished. 

For the record, Armorcast’s website and web store is back up to full; and all of the classic Lance & Laser Glorantha miniatures are there again. 

1 hour ago, pachristian said:

For the record, Armorcast’s website and web store is back up to full; and all of the classic Lance & Laser Glorantha miniatures are there again.

Yeah I saw that last week and... .well, let's just not go into how much money I spent on the spot.

@Dissolv: your latest post doesn't display images for me... does it work for anybody else?

5 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Yeah I saw that last week and... .well, let's just not go into how much money I spent on the spot.

You and I both @lordabdul . I placed a Lance & Laser order for a large quantity of figures a few weeks ago when their (Glorantha) miniature line reappeared. I just got an email this morning that my order was updated to "Shipped" !!!

@Dissolv You may need to resize your images to a smaller file size. I suspect that may be the issue since I'm not seeing your uploaded images either. I had to resize my images from 4MB down to around 30KB. They turned out fine for screen viewing. I may have overexposed some of the pictures, but that's the photographer in me nitpicking my ownself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Yeah those Broos are really nice although (more shamefully) I haven't assembled them yet (I still need to research what kind of glue I need). But yes I've noticed that their base is uneven -- I think it's because they're not meant to be used as a base, and instead you're supposed to glue that to a "real" base like @Dissolv did.

I used Zap A Gap Glue (super glue) to attach the metal figures to plastic bases. After I ran out of that glue I used The Army Painter Super Glue and it's working fine. Citadel has a super glue too and it probably works just as well. The key is to file or cut the uneven metal so that it's flat and can be adhered to the plastic base. I bought these round bases that I use for larger figures, but I'm old school and prefer hex bases. Unfortunately I don't know of any manufacturers that make hex bases larger than 25mm.

• Thanks 1