Glorantha Miniatures

borbetomagnus

Okay, pic dump time.  I have two Yelmalian pike blocks completed.  One is the Golden Shields, and the other, well, they are just Sun Dome Templars.  The plain white shields are intentional.  I wanted just "more bright" to shine through, and actually went back and touched up the whiteness after applying varnish.  The Golden shields are using the Macedonian Royal guard box set, which is exactly the same figures as the regular Macedonian Phalanx boxed set, except that it has metal heads and shields.    The pikes are indeed fragile, but do respond well to plastic cement glue.  I repurposed a very old figure (I am thinking he was painted and used in gaming back in the 80's as a Priest.  Another bonus figure from Warlord games is the Rune Lord.  

I also painted a couple of "loose" Beryl phalanx hoplites.  These are for skirmish gaming or RPG purposes.  

The big guy will be the incarnation of Yanafil Tarnils.  The figure is very much a kludge, but I gave it a shot.  Same manufacturer as the "Orlanth" figure above.

Also included is a werewolf that I somehow forgot to paint with the earlier Telmori batch, and my version of a spirit wolf.  The final figure is a jack o'bear that I picked up very on when I decided to paint Glorantha figures.  Extremely easy to paint, he just didn't the painting table for no particular reason. 

20200602_151618.thumb.jpg.5680fe08b4ad2abf11e6be39588f1825.jpg

20200602_151551.jpg

20200602_151532.jpg

20200602_151612.jpg

20200602_151645.jpg

20200602_151502.jpg

20200602_151349.jpg

20200602_151411.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful paint on your figures @Dissolv 

The white shields on the Sun Dome Templars do shine brightly. The werewolf, spirit wolf, and jack-o-bear are excellent!

I like the Yanafil Tarnils incarnation. Both it and the large Orlanth one are nice figures and fit in quite well for Glorantha.

• Thanks 1

Here's my pic dump of recent completions.

1. The first two are the front and back of the Lance and Laser Hero Wars figures for Lunar Warband #2, Yanafil Tarnils Warrior (note the red skin), and Lunar Officer. 
  2. Pics 3 & 4 are the different sides of the Lance and Laser Hero Wars Babeester Gor Axe Maiden, Bad Squiddo Miniatures Hera Amazon Champion, and a Wizkids Unpainted miniature for a Female Human Sorcerer (IIRC) that I made into an Ernalda Earth Priestess complete with bodice allowing breasts to be exposed.
  3. Pic 5 has two Lance and Laser Hero Wars figures of Minaryth Purple and an Orlanthi Priest.
  4. Pics 6 & 7 show one of the Mad Knight Broo pack with some Wizkids Unpainted wild boars that could be used as juvenile Glorantha Tusks.

_1720102.thumb.JPG.05890d50aa5773e027a2ee560023381b.JPG

_1720103.thumb.JPG.f21b31e122500bc5be9456b5d4432455.JPG

_1720104.thumb.JPG.c3acddf8e73a333ac17402cd4c2a04ec.JPG

_1720105.thumb.JPG.5cb4af1150415463e988d3368a00a985.JPG

_1720106.thumb.JPG.ee1de38055e1df03e52e95720d4b2f6d.JPG

_1720110.thumb.JPG.7020ff70d0c56e03754e8f99be39d004.JPG

_1720109.thumb.JPG.5d53952550ccb3481a3ef5400ee678b2.JPG

• Like 5

@borbetomagnus  Those look great!  The hand painted runes really are something that I've been unwilling to do too much of, and you've got ten on the same guy!!! lol. 

It is striking just how different these figures look when painted by people with differing styles -- and also that they continue to hold up over all of these years as pretty much the best glorantha figures out there. 

Your basing makes most of them look like they are in the Big Rubble -- was that the goal?

23 hours ago, Dissolv said:

Okay, pic dump time.  I have two Yelmalian pike blocks completed.  20200602_151618.thumb.jpg.5680fe08b4ad2abf11e6be39588f1825.jpg

Nice. I like the yellow ribbons in their hair, that is very Yelmalian. 😀

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

@Dissolv I'm glad you like the runes. They're not easy to do, and with my aging eyes I have to use a large magnifying lamp to assist with painting. I also use the Citadel painting handle which helps tremendously with steadying a figure and keeping hand muscles relaxed. I'm probably good for a few more years unless arthritis sets in....

My basing is not specific to the Big Rubble, but I am looking forward having the Runequest Glorantha game I just started with my sons to eventually go there. They're in the area around Clearwine Fort right now since I just ran them through the Broken Tower quick start adventure.

I agree, the Lance and Laser figures are still some of the best around, whether it's their Hero Wars line, or others. 

@Sir_Godspeed I like the thumbs up "Fonzie" Broo too. All he needs is a motorbike!

I believe he's supposed to be holding the pike with the impaled human victim figure that was a part of Mad Knight's Broo pack. I'll get a photo of "Fonzie" with the impaled victim uploaded to the thread.

• 1 month later...

Okay, it has been way too long since someone posted on this thread! 

First up, some of my Broos.  These are GW beastmen figures, but they literally stole the concept from Runequest, so it seems more than fair to steal it back.  This is a small portion of my guys, and I do own several other manufacturer's broos, but they are lower on the totem pole to paint because I have about 50 of these completed.

20200716_165420.thumb.jpg.f620ac67aa76e7a9bb83026874d1c5a4.jpg

20200716_165439.thumb.jpg.9bde88436e9d39234192f35112492c2f.jpg

20200716_165458.thumb.jpg.82dc6dd30ee3b20a3c4369fc77f687ff.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

More Solar Power!   I'm back after a break.  

This time I support the Yelmalian pikemen with psoli archers, and throw in a unit of Yelorna unicorn cavalry.  The archers are cretan archers, quite a few companies make these sorts of figures, and they look perfectly thematic with the Sun County theme.

20200923_132104.thumb.jpg.8d0390df70b0956ecc607334361c51c4.jpg20200923_132140.thumb.jpg.d65d372beec677c6207b9832abba6ca1.jpg

These are Crocodile Games Amazon Outriders.  They were suggested way, way back on page 1.  The Amazon raiders would have worked as well, but I figured that depicting them archers best suits their initial take on a conflict.  I made the unicorn horns quite poorly out of green stuff.  If I hadn't been time pressured I might have torn them off and done a re-do before painting.  My daughter chose the silver color for the horns, but it works.

20200923_132228.jpg

20200923_132301.jpg

Edited by Dissolv
Extra detail
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Arrowstone archers.    I used older Wargames Factory Persians, as you can have quivers with bows in them on a model shooting a bow -- so multiple bows on the figure as expected from Kastokus style archers.  I used the really old fashioned "figure eight" shield, which we all know from the RQ2 cover. 

Not my best painting effort as I struggled with aging varnish and some very basic plastic models, but 12 more figures, or three TTS! units towards my goal.  These I felt that I needed to do these mainly because of their presence at the battle of Auroch Hills and also Dangerford, so the unit really merited a figure presence -- especially as my campaign creeps into 1618!

There is no physical description that I find for these, not even in Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass, so they get to be portrayed by the figures that I have laying around.  😉

20201002_112742.jpg

20201002_110955.jpg

20201002_112649.jpg

Edited by Dissolv
spelling again
  • Like 5

They ride single file....to hide their numbers. 

The greatest tribe in Prax -- the High Llama tribe.    These are the Barbaric Splendor Llamas, listed a while back on this very thread.   My dull coat had some trouble with them, but I decided to post them up before a second coat anyway.  🙂

The riders are Foundry Scythians, as I wanted a top notch sculpt for the top notch tribe. 

20201006_165657.thumb.jpg.bffa1b3134a0c2777c1c0096331f75a1.jpg

20201006_165735.jpg

20201006_165739.jpg

20201006_165751.jpg

20201006_165755.jpg

Edited by Dissolv
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Dissolv said:

They ride single file....to hide their numbers. 

That line makes me want a thousand elephants. And possibly a good kilopachydermists to ship them.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

@Dissolv Beautiful miniatures, as always. I love the Prax tribes on the march and especially the High Llamas! I picked up a couple of the High Llamas and have applied primer, but haven't had a chance to paint them yet. I've been busy with the day job for a few months and haven't devoted any time to painting miniatures. I plan to spend some time painting this weekend since we're expecting rain and it will be a good time to stay in and work on my Glorantha figures.

On another note -- Today's Astronomy Picture of the Day from NASA features the Crimson Bat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Dissolv said:

The killer need is Sable riders.

I seem to remember Andrew having some Sable Riders back in the day, but it has been a while since I did any tabletop wargaming with him. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

I seem to remember Andrew having some Sable Riders back in the day, but it has been a while since I did any tabletop wargaming with him. 

Back in 1998 there was a new miniatures series with sable riders at Convulsion, IIRC. Really nice sculpts.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

I dug into his Facebook page and he has exactly one sculpt of a Sable showing.  I gather it was for a hero of some type, as opposed to generic Praxians. 

Rapier Miniatures also showed one of a couple of years ago, but they never seemed to put it into production, and now they have taken their Runequest section down.  😞

10 hours ago, Dissolv said:

I dug into his Facebook page and he has exactly one sculpt of a Sable showing.  I gather it was for a hero of some type, as opposed to generic Praxians. 

He had some made for his personal collection, then. I remember that he had models of all the major Praxian tribes. 

Those looks great! It's cool to see some purpose-built Glorantha model. The Full Moon Corps really shines (no pun intended, but I'll take it). 

I've been thinking a li'l bit, and here are some stand-ins for those who might be interested: 

99121464007_EasterlingKataphraktsNEW01.j

GW Easterling Kataphrakts from their LotR range. 
These could be some pretty cool Malkioni Cataphracts or Men-of-All, especially with a head swap, as the help might be a bit too much. The Shields are also pretty ahistorical, but interestingly so, imho. Anyway, just an idea. Potentially, one might also replace the shields and give them to some foot unit. The scale armor and barding is pretty nifty. 

mrm_dkl_byz_var_wcf_700_000_01_large.png

Mierce Miniatures CAIUS DOMITIUS, TIAMATUS SECUNDUS

I mean... this is some kind of exceptional Scorpionman, isn't it? Maybe he's in service of the Lunars, or maybe he looted them, who knows. The armor is a cool fit for Glorantha though. 

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_byz_var_wcf_700_000 

mrm_dkl_byz_var_wcf_602_000_01_large.png 

Mierce Miniatures ARMOURED DJIUZU, DROMEDUS SECUNDUS 

Yeah, so this is some kind of large dromedary broo if I ever saw one. Possibly with looted or merceneary-earned Lunar stuff. 

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_byz_var_wcf_602_000 

mrm_dkl_fmr_cnd_wld_001_000_01_large.png 

Mierce Miniatures UUROCH, SCION OF CONAND

Yo, is this a Walktapus? Cuz it looked like one to me. A but smaller head and tentacles than the official art, and a bit more marine-themed as well, but I thought it was cool and decided to show it. :) 

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_fmr_cnd_wld_001_000 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1