Heroquest Ability Ideas

HreshtIronBorne

On 5/1/2019 at 2:37 AM, Tywyll said:

Oh that sounds awesome. I am about to run Griffin Island/Mountain. Could you tell me any more about the quest? I imagine some of my players would be interested!

Alas, we didn't get that far along. The campaign folded when I was forced to move house quickly, and after a year of trying to get the group together, I abandoned the project. Feel free to make any details yourself. I always find that is the best part of a campaign. Taking the loose bolts and bits of ideas around the world and building something new. 

My original plan was a hunt for a mythic beast and winning use of one of it's spines/bones/feathers to use as a javelin. Later that evolved to winning it from Rigtania after the PC's had an encounter with the beautiful hunting nymph in the company of Stenn the Strong. Stenn ran off to try to catch her. Returning later to say there was a Votanki myth that she would marry any mortal who could catch her, but her powers are great and she escaped him by turning into a beast and fleeing. This also explains how Balazar married Rigtania to found his Dynasty. Clearly the Heartpiercer Quest is a Foundchild Rigtania subcult quest, and the details known to Master Hunters and important shamans, and immortals of the land. Make up anything you like.

Lots of my ideas centered on the place in Balazar of Yelmalio, and tying in local gods and spirits to the Hill of Gold. In the game I planned Yelmlaio's 'Heart of Fire' lost at the Hill of Gold to be Firshala. In my version Granny Keen-Eye followed ZZ up the Hill and stole Firshala (the Soul of FIre) from Yelmalio after ZZ stole his Fire powers. Heartpiercer could be angled to have a link to the Hill of Gold as a weapon found by Foundchild on the Hill. I was hoping to do a whole lot of Godlearnerish messing around with Balazar, and have it revealed to the players. The Hero Balazar was a clearly a powerful Questor capable of changing the mythology around him to suit his needs. Skilfil has had experience doing the same kind of stuff. My plan was for the PC's to be mentored into Herodom by Skilfil to take part in the Hero Wars to come.

Lots of cool ideas come from close reading of the campaign matieral. Check out the Hero Shrine of Trilus for the most obvious of the little teasers in it, but there is lots of other cool loose threads that can lead any direction you want. 

I should write up my versions of Balazaring Yelmalio Myths and put them online somewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soltakss said:

No, my RQ rules are better than canon! 🙂

Seriously, HeroQuesting has been woefully underdone in RQ in the past and this kind of ability has never been described before. They just made sense to me and I have used forms of them for years.

That's one thing Mongoose did... if not completely right by everyone's standards, at least there was a working framework in place. (no, I'm not an MRQII fanboi - I'm just acknowledging that there was a mechanic finally done after about 40 years for something that's actually supposed to be a fairly important part of the game and gameworld)

• Like 3

On 4/29/2019 at 10:59 PM, Shiningbrow said:

(Kili and Tauriel). But then, people also complained about the lack of Tom Bombadil... Personally, I would think that was too "kid's stuff" (as written) for the movie. But, he could still have been there.

Hmm, glad you would have been okay to see him there.

I saw the Tom Bombadil Lady Blueberry (?) story as a bit of a heroquest myself. After being ate by Old Man Willow (and a trip to Bullfinches Mythologies or a google should pull up an incredible amount on Old Man Willow IRW) not to mention the forced and assisted birth at the hands of Tom to the Hobbits when he free them from OMW's maw and then brought them kicking and screaming into a new world in many ways. The child like simplicity for me had a nice celtic depth to it

In fact I have always said that Peter Jackson boosted the Sex by taking a one sentence mention in the book and making it a continuing love scene with Liv Ulman. and removing the ancient celtic spirituality by removing Tom. So I guess I could be included in that ilk myself.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Lady Blueberry (?)   

Goldberry

... a bit of a heroquest myself. After being ate by Old Man Willow (and a trip to Bullfinches Mythologies or a google should pull up an incredible amount on Old Man Willow IRW) not to mention the forced and assisted birth at the hands of Tom to the Hobbits when he free them from OMW's maw and then brought them kicking and screaming into a new world in many ways. The child like simplicity for me had a nice celtic depth to it

That's an interesting take...  Very.

Before that, they are pure victims, pursued and helpless.

Bombadil rescues them, rebirths them, arms them from the barrow...

I mean, they are still EARLY in their heroic journeys... But he has set their feet upon that road.

Frodo, of course, was already Heroquest'ing, as of becoming Ringbearer.  But now the others truly join him on that path.

I like it.

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 minutes ago, g33k said:

Lady Blueberry (?)   

Goldberry

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, g33k said:

I mean, they are still EARLY in their heroic journeys... But he has set their feet upon that road.

True but note their next opponents are not ones that should be met early in the journey; 3 of the nine riders and I believe their king. Could they have survived with out the ritual rebirth?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!