Battle skill

Sid Vicarious

On 4/27/2019 at 1:00 PM, svensson said:

Battle skill seems to be a mechanic for off-table battles.

I would agree. However, I have used it recently when PCs were trying to get NPCs into a Shield Wall formation. Also used it in the same battle for the other side attempting to break thru that said formation. Worked rather well.

Edited by Godlearner
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Godlearner said:

I would agree. However, I have used it recently when PCs were trying to get NPCs into a Shield Wall formation. Also used it int eh same battle for the other side attempting to break thru that said formation. Worked rather well.

That seems like a solid use for the skill if no one in the party knows what to do.

I can see a situation where the party has one professional warrior type in it, everybody else being hunters, crafters, merchants, whatever else, and he has to use his Battle skill to quickly devise a tactic and get the 'part-timers' into a situation where they'll have the opportunity to survive. Even if that situation is 'run like Hell' 😆

On 4/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, Sid Vicarious said:

I'm confused about the "Battle " skill, as presented in the RQG book.

The RQG book says it "measures how the adventurers do during an engagement", a battle  "large or small". In the case of "small", isn't this what combat decides? Is the purpose of the skill to determine the Experience from the Battle Results table after  a combat? It is not explained in the Combat section of the book.

The example of the use of the Battle skill  in the Skills section  of RQG describes a scenario a lot like   "Defending Apple Lane", but it doesn't elaborate as to whether combat or the "battle" roll determined what occurred, although it does suggest that experience rolls  can be determined later. This sounds too important to only appear in writing in the skills section only.

What am I missing?

Hi Sid.

Let's put it this way...  You know how the Starters Set has the Battle of Dangerford as a solo adventure?  Not every battle is going to be laid out with that amount of detail.  The Battle Roll stands in for either the PCs as Commanders (Leading NPCs) or the PCs as warriors serving under a Commander when GMs don't have time to produce that level of detail.

I personally also allow Battle to act as an "Evaluate Battlefield" skill.  You get bonuses for certain spells, successful recon reports, good maps, etc.  Riding the field yourself is a good idea and will net you a bonus too, depending on the time spent doing so.  This can be used to tell the weakest point in a defensive structure, or how an enemy is likely to line up based on terrain and where and what the crucial terrain features of a coming battle will be.

The Defending Apple Lane Battle roll is because the players are leading NPCs and need to give orders that need to be obeyed.  The players are commanders leading NPCs in this situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

Hi Sid.

Let's put it this way...  You know how the Starters Set has the Battle of Dangerford as a solo adventure?  Not every battle is going to be laid out with that amount of detail.  The Battle Roll stands in for either the PCs as Commanders (Leading NPCs) or the PCs as warriors serving under a Commander when GMs don't have time to produce that level of detail.

I personally also allow Battle to act as an "Evaluate Battlefield" skill.  You get bonuses for certain spells, successful recon reports, good maps, etc.  Riding the field yourself is a good idea and will net you a bonus too, depending on the time spent doing so.  This can be used to tell the weakest point in a defensive structure, or how an enemy is likely to line up based on terrain and where and what the crucial terrain features of a coming battle will be.

The Defending Apple Lane Battle roll is because the players are leading NPCs and need to give orders that need to be obeyed.  The players are commanders leading NPCs in this situation.

I was surprised to see this thread had been necroed. Its so old, I was working at the office when i posted it. Ive had some time on my hands since and have  done a bit of reading. Definately square with the Battle skill now.

• Like 1

I'm pleased this thread was necroed as it's very useful. I'm planning for my players to take part in the Battle of the Queens during our next run (sadly not till Jan '23) and there's a wealth of useful info here. Thanks to all who've provided it. I hadn't thought to check my KAP rulebook – that'll provide useful Saturday-chore-avoidance procrastination 🙂

I have used (and allowed use of) the Battle skill as an 'evaluate the situation' skill:  If we stay here are we going to get massacred?  Where is a good place to set an ambush?  Where are we likely to be ambushed?   

Also, of course, as an augment to the outcome when the adventurers are in a large battle.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling and capitalization. The spelling scrambler on my phone has a malign mind of its own.
  • Like 1