OpenQuest 3rd Edition Current Status

Newt

So 1st draft of OpenQuest 3 sent out to backers via link in Update 26, which tickles me somewhat because that's a very special day today :D

Here's the update that follows it that outlines what I've been up to since the campaign funded

• Like 2

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

• 3 weeks later...

I started plowing through the document finally. Since I didn't find a dedicated topic for errors, I'll post the first batch I found.

pg. 2. "Dwarfen captain" should be "dwarven captain" for the sake of consistency.
pg. 4. "Not only does this remove the number of fiddly additions and subtractions, players have to do, but it means that when modifiers are meaningful and have a significant effect on play." There is no need for comma after "subtractions", and the second part of the sentence doesn't need that "when". 
pg. 5. I would add to the "A Set of Polyhedral Dice" section a mention of d10s numbered by tens.
pg. 6. "Character generation" is a title, thus should be "Character Generation".
pg. 7. The sentence "Nope" lacks period.

Major Wounds get mentioned several times in the book (pg. 6. How To Use This Book, pg. 90. Healing, pg. 131. Fear Effects, pg. 147. Casting Time, pg. 182. Bloodweed stat block), but the optional rule has been thrown out as far as I know.

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

Hi 

Can you send me any errors you find to directly via personal message rather than posting it here.

This way I can update the document and make my editor/proofer aware.

At the risk of sounding defensive, there isn't a dedicated errors thread, because it the draft that was sent out to backers was a pre-edited/pre-proofed version.  I do actually have a dedicated editor, who is working with the text now, and proof reader, who will proof it after the document is updated after editorial. 

Edited by Newt

20 hours ago, Newt said:

Hi 

Can you send me any errors you find to directly via personal message rather than posting it here.

This way I can update the document and make my editor/proofer aware.

At the risk of sounding defensive, there isn't a dedicated errors thread, because it the draft that was sent out to backers was a pre-edited/pre-proofed version.  I do actually have a dedicated editor, who is working with the text now, and proof reader, who will proof it after the document is updated after editorial. 

Sure, I'll drop you a PM later. And don't worry, you don't sound defensive - in fact, I'm the one who might be nitpicky, but more eyes never hurt. :)

• Thanks 1

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok work moves towards the final release.

Also a couple of blog posts 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Currently in heads down phase getting the first layout draft cleaned up before it goes to final print proof.

See the work in progress state in this blog post.

And Jon Hodgson has delivered five covers for the supplements, with an old Jonny Gray piece that long time followers of OpenQuest here will be familiar with for the Quick Start.

Here's the cover for Saga of the Savage North

oq-savage-north-web-preview.png

• Like 3

The draft layout is done (with tables of contents, index and page cross references done in the pdf). Its been sent off for checking/final proof , which I'm anticipating will take up to two weeks. Then off to the printers to proof, and pdf to backers. 

Also in parallel, the 1st draft of the Quickstart rules and adventure, the Lost Outpost, went off to editorial/proof last end of last week.

Its all go at D101 HQ!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Ok if you missed the Kickstarter, but still want either the Pdf/POD or Signed and Sent version which is the properly printed version, you can pick it up via my lastest Kickstarter as part of the ZineQuest 3 promotion. You get the main rule book, the Quickstart adventure/rules (The Lost Outpost) and the OpenQuest Companion.  Also by backing the zine you get an OpenQuest adventure, the Duck Crusade.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After another round of edits, both by me and by the backers, the final pdf is done and off to print proof. Also the OpenQuest Quickstart Rules + Adventure, The Lost Outpost, is done bar a final check by my editor.  So delivery of final pdfs in the next week or so 🙂

It features this wonderful piece of art by Dan Barker, Granny Tier who is the pc's patroness in the Lost Outpost. 

Granny Tier-web.png

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

So I'm coming to the end of getting OpenQuest 3rd Edition out there 🙂

As reported in their own posts, but duplicated here for completeness and for folk getting email updates.

The OpenQuest Quick-Start The Lost Outpost is out as a free pdf.

OpenQuest 3 itself is available to preorder Worth mentioning as well as giving you instant access to the pdf, it also gives you a pdf/POD version of the OpenQuest Companion when it comes out later in the year. Also this is your last chance to get the limited edition signed and sent printed version , with endpapers, ribbons and colour plates.

So nearly there, general release estimated mid May once the backers/pre-orders have gone out. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Everything is coming together, as both the limited edition Signed and Sent version and the Print on Demand version, reach the end of the proofing process.

Update via the Kickstarter, and cross posted over at OpenQuestRPG.com

• Like 4

On 6/5/2021 at 5:31 AM, Newt said:

Everything is coming together, as both the limited edition Signed and Sent version and the Print on Demand version, reach the end of the proofing process.

Update via the Kickstarter, and cross posted over at OpenQuestRPG.com

Hey Newt, I did the pre-order and when I click on the link in my e-mail to get the updated version I'm getting this error:

image.png.885917ca080475fef829c15d7d120dd1.png

I tried then going into the downloads section of my account, but it doesn't list the rule book, only the quickstart.

image.png.fbf6e9716cbe8ad09567cecf04884519.png

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting there. 

The main rulebook has gone out to POD backers last week, and I received the printed version for the Signed & Sent edition from the printers today.

Here's what 300 copies looks like dumped at the bottom of the drive of D101 HQ 😄

I'll be mailing these out over the next couple of weeks to backers, then the book goes on general release 🙂

arrival of OQ 2.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

With the end of the Great OpenQuest Mailout to backers and pre-orders yesterday, I am proud to announce that OpenQuest 3rd Edition is now generally available from D101 Games web store in both pdf only and Print + Pdf bundle.

I’m still in the process of setting up the product on drivethrurpg.com and lulu.com and will let people know when I’ve released them via my Twitter account, @d101games, later this week/early next.

• Like 1