"Ancient" document circa RQCon 1

jajagappa

Found these odd pages in an old folder containing RQ Con 1 and 2 stuff.  Think these were from RQ Con 1.  Clearly from a game that I must have participated in and looks like something of a MoLaD variant, though can't say I have any recollection of it. I must have been the Fire player since that's the sheet I have and some items were checked off.  The list of units and descriptions is interesting though and the suggestion of Fire-related myths.

RQCon_20190426_0001.jpg

RQCon_20190426_0003.jpg

RQCon_20190426_0002.jpg

• Like 4

This does appear similar to notes I have seen from Stephen Martin's work on the MOLAD units, but not identical (those notes used Corbett-rules of Dragon Pass or Les Dieux Nomades).

MOLAD was intended to be a game fought both with armies on a hex grid and with heroic expeditions into the magical Other Side of Kethaela. Given how fiddly the old hex-map game of Dragon Pass can be, probably fairly unplayable for your average Glorantha fan.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

13 minutes ago, Joerg said:

This does appear similar to notes I have seen from Stephen Martin's work on the MOLAD units, but not identical

Finally turned up the old RQ Con 1 program book.  This is the entry (and it is a MoLaD variant):

Masters of Luck and Death (MoLaD)

Created by Charles Morehouse - One round, 5 players per table.

Remember the old Chaosium board game that never quite made it to print? Well, Charles went and wrote his own version. Reenact the HeroQuests of your gods in an effort to become the next Pharaoh. Stafford tried it at Convulsion, and said: "This is a lot like the game we were working on, but more fun."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Were Caladra and Aurelion already considered God Learner-created gods at this point?

Tales of the Reaching Moon 7, which had Chuck's revised RQ3 write-up, appeared in 1992, so would potentially have been available by then. But looking at Harald's uploads, the godquests implied (Asrelia, Dayzatar, Mostal, etc.) are all covered—if sparsely—in the older Different Worlds write-up. Apart from the God Learner plot twist and a couple of expansions, the Tales write-up didn't really change a huge amount of the background. Though the way in which some of quests are framed in Charles' game, leaving out a couple of the elaborations from Tales (such as around Flamal), makes me suspect it was informed by DW.

It's looks like a variant of Charles Morehouse's Master of luck and Death board game. I vividly remember playing it at the first Convulsion convention in Leicester UK, in 1992 with Greg. Burned into my memory as that's the first time I met him. It was Friday evening on the first night the con, David Cheng brought it over and introduced us to it. It was a long game, full of twists and turns. Six players, Earth, Darkness, Storm, Water, Fire and Malkioni, i've still got the 14 page Ritual and Events sheets. As you can see this from 1988.

2102593772_Screenshot2019-04-27at10_46_51.png.141ec34243ff8a80e2051e5437a29909.png

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

i've still got the 14 page Ritual and Events sheets. As you can see this from 1988.

2102593772_Screenshot2019-04-27at10_46_51.png.141ec34243ff8a80e2051e5437a29909.png

Aha! I do have that too! Just in a completely different folder (one of the downsides of doing this so long).  Mine is a revision from Jan 1994 though, right before RQ Con 1.

• Like 1