Cthulhu Dark Ages

rustorod

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to blend the two together? Which rules-set, or "system widgets," take precedence or get put in or taken out just comes down to a matter of taste: Is it going to be Fantasy with Cthulhian elements? A Cthulhian game, with some fantasy elements? Do you want to use Sanity? How does sorcery work? Does "Summon Demon" become "Summon Old One?" Only you know what you want.

FWIW, I know @rsanford uses Magic World as the base chassis to run his CoC-type games. He might be worth tagging and asking for advice.

12 hours ago, Nick J. said:

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to blend the two together? Which rules-set, or "system widgets," take precedence or get put in or taken out just comes down to a matter of taste: Is it going to be Fantasy with Cthulhian elements? A Cthulhian game, with some fantasy elements? Do you want to use Sanity? How does sorcery work? Does "Summon Demon" become "Summon Old One?" Only you know what you want.

FWIW, I know @rsanford uses Magic World as the base chassis to run his CoC-type games. He might be worth tagging and asking for advice.

Yeah Magic World is already super similar to CoC 6th edition and earlier so there’s really no work to be done. Just use the character creation rules for CoC.

Nick I remember when your character had a bout of insanity and started shooting his gun in the car. You are great at roleplaying but I should have rolled to see if you hit someone!

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

8 hours ago, rsanford said:

Yeah Magic World is already super similar to CoC 6th edition and earlier so there’s really no work to be done. Just use the character creation rules for CoC.

Nick I remember when your character had a bout of insanity and started shooting his gun in the car. You are great at roleplaying but I should have rolled to see if you hit someone!

Gimme a set of d100... ;)

Edited by Nick J.

Looking through the recent D&D 5e Cthulhu book got me thinking something similar. Not that I'm in to 5e, but I quite like the idea of playing cats, ghouls, Zoogs, and... other dreamland races. Meshing it with some of the darker fairyland aspects of Magic World's example setting (the Southern Reaches) wouldn't be hard either.
I'd leave the Big Uns offstage and probably re-cast/rename them somewhat.

• Like 1

Oh heck yes! Good idea! I love Dark Ages and this would work well with the addition of the horror/San mechanics... 

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

On 5/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, rustorod said:

Hello,

was wondering if Cthulhu Dark Ages and Cthulhu Thru the Ages would provide some Cthulhuian goodness to Magic World?  Want to try Magic World and have a fantasy based Call of Cthulhu game.

Thanks.

Mike

In the dim and distant,before Cthulhu Dark Ages was formally published, it was a fan thing and IIRC back then it was clearly drawing quite heavily on Elric! (the game magic World is based on) for stuff not covered in the then core CoC rules.

Jason Durall also provided an essay on doing Sword & Sorcery  in Cthulhu - "Tombs & Tentacles" - in Uncounted Worlds issue 2 (https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/BRP/UW001 - Uncounted Worlds Issue 2.pdf)

Cheers,

Nick