Putting out fires

The fire in your hearth is Mahome, so it wont be burning down your house. It is those pesky nomads squating the tenement next door yer gotta be careful of.

One of my players recently burnt half the Zola Fel valley to a crisp. 

Sun Town doesnt even register on a fire spirit's spectrum, just burns right past...Worshipping Yelmalio has to have some benefits ya?

Edited by Iskallor
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Ah yes, about your gases - carbon monoxide only crops up in connection to combustion and is not a natural subterranean hazard (unless you have regular fires in badly aerated caves).

Post this to the thread in question and I'll gladly clarify your assumptions.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

7 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:
  • Civic planning, permitting, and maintenance have a huge impact on safety.  The ramshackle of Badside, and probably Old Town and the Farmer's Quarter to lesser degrees, is ready to burn at the drop of a match (pun very much intended).
  •  

This point was driven home several times in the Ideas show that launched this thread. Every great fire brought new laws and usually for the better. Wider boulevards, better construction materials, Obstruction and trash bylaws, guilds to maintain construction integrity. The best solution IRW to fight fires it seems is good responsible gov't and enforceable well thought out laws and by-laws.

Alas, a little boring  but really, the wise here on earth seems to think the world of this thinking. (Screw that give me a Salamander to fight, violence is ALWAYS an option.

5 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

Okay, pulverised reeds in adobe and thatched reed roofing instead of straw.  Good and likely points in New Pavis.  And theyll still go up like matches in a sufficiently hot conflagration, natural or spiritual.  Perhaps less so in Storm or Sea Seasons, moreso during Fire Season when they're thoroughly dry.

a conflagration in Pavis might simply start with a sizzling hot day where the air shimmers like waves in the heat and the thermometer (what's a thermometer?) starts off at a leisurely and chill 50º and little kids stop to fry eggs on rocks.

5 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Pavis had it covered, he knew what he was doing.

Interesting, what is your source for this Iskallor.

4 hours ago, ChalkLine said:

Yeah, I'd say your average hearth-spirit that is in every home will be on the lookout for fires at all times, day and night. (I think this actually features in Russian mythology)

when ever I mention this name some one gives me poo for breaking  canon, so I already know, kay? :)

Thunder Rebels (and old HW sartar background module)  has an interesting idea that a steads elder ladies (devotees of the 6 earth mothers) make their way around the house in the morning with bags of winds. Some chase out bad spirits and airs, some take care of smoke and ensure the fires are burning well and freely. Others bring freshness...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
clarity. spelin additions
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

30 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

when ever I mention this name some one gives me poo for breaking  canon, so I already know, kay?

Thunder Rebels (and old HW sartar background module)  has an interesting idea that a steads elder ladies (devotees of the 6 earth mothers) make their way around the house in the morning with bags of winds. Some chase out bad spirits and airs, some take care of smoke and ensure the fires are burning well and freely.

I play a more spirit-oriented game with the animist spirits crowding the real world, so I get what you mean.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChalkLine said:

I play a more spirit-oriented game with the animist spirits crowding the real world, so I get what you mean.

Be kind to your spirits take them out of the spirit world—or bag—more often!
Nice page, I will read later.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
additions

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 5/4/2019 at 7:40 AM, ChalkLine said:

Love them. Somewhere on the web are my stories of the "Hob of Highspring" and "The New Plough". Both inspired by Briggs's "Dictionary of British Folk Tales" which is a great source for domestic sprites.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, Iskallor said:

All those riverside houses will have water spirits living in their reed thatched roofs, ancient fire dousing sprites and the ghosts of long dead fire hating fish... 

YGMV. I am quite dubious of placing water spirits in a construct designed to ward off water without coercion. That's similar to DI to Orlanth for a hole in the ground or stale, unmoving air - outside of his domain, or against his nature.

Does Zola Fel have an ancient rivalry with Oakfed? Without one, I don't see much traction in him having fire-dowsing spray of water spirits that willingly evaporate their watery body to drive back Oakfed.

Having water elementals on call inside Dorasar's city wall that might form a coat of water atop those roofs strikes me as way more magical than I would give Sartarite settlements. Possible in the City of Wonders, probably even to be expected - houses covered by domes of living water instead of solid roofs. But in the arid region of Prax?

Hate doesn't equal effective countermeasures. On the contrary, it might serve as an attractor to the Wildfire.

Cooking done in bakeries and not at home. Constant watchfulness for sparks and those doing the watching keeping captive darkness spirits in sacks.

That's more or less a common factor for all anciend cities. Potters' kilns and bakers' ovens would be on an industrial scale, possibly used by entire neighborhoods. A pastry seller on the street might pay a fee for access to a small section of a baker's oven, possibly buying the dough directly from the baker in case of in-bread pastries. (Another type would be clay-mantled pastries stuffed with rice or grain, gravy, legumes and a bit of meat.)

Stone houses blessed with Mostali mason charms and the latest Lunar tricks...

Do masons usually employ charms against fire?

The use of fire-glazed bricks might provide such, but I would see that more in the realm of lead mostali than of rock mostali.

Lunar tricks? I'd expect those to work in Glamour or atop fragments of the Blue Moon, or alternatively using fragments of either blue or red moon rock in the building.

Fragments of Blue Moon, or reed grown in Blue Moon soil or water, might attract water as its tidal effect. I can see a use like this in Glamour or in major temples in the Empire, but not on a street in Pavis. Reed huts in Moonbroth Oasis might have this, but do you have any indication that Moonbroth reed has been harvested and caravaned across the chaparral to the city of Pavis?

What wood there is, is unburnable Aldryami holy wood.

And guarded by immortal guardians? Again, this is City of Wonders-level urban magic, possible in a strongly magical hotspot or powered by a dragon's dream.

Living, shaped Redwood might have such properties, but I don't see any indication of such edifices in post-EWF Pavis.

Pavis had it covered, he knew what he was doing.

Apart from his temple comples in the Real City and the Rubble Wall, there are few places where Pavis' original architecture still is in use.

I see Flintnail magics as being directed to mechanical stability, and maybe the masonry will take less damage from fires than chalcic rock (including Sandstone) usually does when exposed to hot fire.

But then, Gustbran's is the hottest of the three Lowfires. Oakfed is bigger and more voracious, but not quite as hot.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:03 PM, Iskallor said:

The fire in your hearth is Mahome, so it wont be burning down your house. It is those pesky nomads squating the tenement next door yer gotta be careful of.

Mahome also is the spirit of the camp fire, taken from the embers left behind by the Wildfire.

I wonder what Praxians would benefit from fire-farming as a hunting technique. The Men-and-a-Half come to mind, and looking at their diet, the Morokanth, but then they are Darkness-affiliated. Maybe Zorak Zoran serves in such a capacity?

The Fire-associated Impala riders graze on the driest grasses and have the least need or incentive to burn those down for their herds.

Nomad campfires are likely more aromatic than your average Pavisite might care for, relying on beast droppings for fuel.

One of my players recently burnt half the Zola Fel valley to a crisp. 

Releasing Oakfed? Probably by design rather than accident, I would guess.

Sun Town doesnt even register on a fire spirit's spectrum, just burns right past...Worshipping Yelmalio has to have some benefits ya?

Why should they? Their god lost his fire powers to Zorak Zoran.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 minute ago, Quackatoa said:

Last week I had an urge to create a duck Oakfed cultist as my next RQG character. Currently half-way through drawing him...

Sootfeather.jpg

Awesome!

My game's pcs are accumulating rubble runner familiars. Nothing but trouble ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Quackatoa is that duck literate, or does that scroll just serve as kindling?

1 hour ago, Iskallor said:

Awesome!

My game's pcs are accumulating rubble runner familiars. Nothing but trouble ;)

True. The trick is to keep your allied or bound spirit in a flea or similar parasite and then let it dominate the tame but non-intelligent rubble runners of yours, as per "The Smell of a Rat"...

The ideal trickster setup would be to jump your identity into one of the Rubble Runners and have an Alter Creature victim as your familiar, officially your handler.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

16 hours ago, Joerg said:

@Quackatoa is that duck literate, or does that scroll just serve as kindling?

Kindling! Together with the elf arm (which should hopefully be clearer once coloured...).

(I rolled an awakened animal familiar on the heirloom table, and, after looking in the Bestiary for potential stats thought, "Why not?" Amusingly, he has less POW (6) than an average feral rubble runner. Useless little get.)

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 2:15 PM, Ian Absentia said:

Off the cuff, I'd take a look at the Battle skill (RQG p.176) for an abstract approach to dealing with an urban fire, including the "Battle Results" table.  The "battlefront" would shift from district to district, with new sub-plots in each new neighborhood -- some quick 1D6 tables for obstacles and opportunities regarding people and events would be great.

There is an awful lot to like in this notion!

There are differences in some of the domain-specific knowledges of "warfare" vs "firefighting" of course, but also a lot of similarities.

I might crossover by doing an Augment with "Manage Household" (which also covers farms & large estates), or "Bureaucracy" if it covered the city on fire, and of course a Lore for the city in question.

Above all, though -- Battle skill augmenting (or augmented by) the Fire rune!

===

I might also suggest creating a "Firefighting" skill (mostly for NPCs), modeled very-directly upon "Battle," and invoke the cut-in-half "Similar Skills" rule.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig