Newt

OpenQuest Adventures Patreon now live

One of the biggest things that came out of the recent quick consultation here with people about what they wanted to see from me with respect to OpenQuest 3rd Edition, was new adventures. In fact, somebody said, get OQ 3 out of the way as quickly as possible and get on with releasing new adventures. It crops up every time I ask what do you want me to do next with OQ - MORE ADVENTURES! 

So to give me a kick up the arse and some funds to lessen the risk of me spending time creating and publishing adventures for OpenQuest, I've started a Patreon to support this:

Obviously, the initial focus will be adventures that come out and support the OpenQuest 3rd edition, and when I release them they will come bundled with the latest playtest version of OpenQuest 3, but the patreon will go on beyond the release of OpenQuest 3 (which will get its own Kickstarter later in the year). Also if I get enough support I will commission other authors to write adventures. I've already got Paul Mitchener (Crucible of Dragons, Age of Arthur, Liminal) lined up to do an updated version of “Non Semper Erit Aestas”, his adventure set in the Roman Empire just after the death of Nero as well as some adventures set in his Clockwork Palace setting. 

• Like 2

Very happy to be a part of this!

One question - you reviewed Mythras on your blog, so you're obviously familiar with it - how about adding Mythras stats for the OpenQuest adventures? Most of the stat blocks would be identical, anyway, and reaching out to Mythras players can only help OpenQuest. I seem to have heard that adventures with "double stats" tend to sell not so well, but I think this case might be an exception; it seems like there is a pretty big Mythras crowd out there that would eat up new gaming material ...

I think you'd just have to add hit locations and action points - okay, magic might be a little more involved. Skills are very similar, too ...

Since my strategy at the moment is to use OQ for one-shots and Mythras for campaign play, that would be the ideal combination for me. 😉

1 hour ago, Jakob said:

One question - you reviewed Mythras on your blog, so you're obviously familiar with it - how about adding Mythras stats for the OpenQuest adventures? Most of the stat blocks would be identical, anyway, and reaching out to Mythras players can only help OpenQuest. I seem to have heard that adventures with "double stats" tend to sell not so well, but I think this case might be an exception; it seems like there is a pretty big Mythras crowd out there that would eat up new gaming material ...

I'm not Newt, but that might be a problem. OpenQuest is OGL and Mythras isn't. If you had stats for OQ and Legend, which are both OGL, that would be easy to do. However, stats for Mythras might need approval from The Design Mechanism.

Edited by soltakss

What Simon said about licence compatibility is bang on the money. Very early on during the RQ6 days I had the idea of doing setting/adventure material with combined stats (a bit like Pelinore in old Imagine magazine mixed Basic D&D with AD&D stat blocks) and Loz gently raised the incompatibility of licences. 

There's also an issue that duel stating also adds an extra step of production and quality checking. Sometimes the systems work differently in subtle ways that are not immediately obvious, which need to taken into consideration.

Finally I want this to be about OpenQuest and build up a body of work that supports the system.  If you want Mythras support from me, I've long had a Mythras Gateway licence and I'm planning something I'll be bringing to Kickstarter later this year ;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Newt said:

Finally I want this to be about OpenQuest and build up a body of work that supports the system.  If you want Mythras support from me, I've long had a Mythras Gateway licence and I'm planning something I'll be bringing to Kickstarter later this year ;)

Also, there is nothing to stop people using the OpenQuest and Legend OGL to dual-stat OQ and Legend, perhaps even changing the names of skills in Legend.

2 hours ago, Newt said:

What Simon said about licence compatibility is bang on the money. Very early on during the RQ6 days I had the idea of doing setting/adventure material with combined stats (a bit like Pelinore in old Imagine magazine mixed Basic D&D with AD&D stat blocks) and Loz gently raised the incompatibility of licences. 

There's also an issue that duel stating also adds an extra step of production and quality checking. Sometimes the systems work differently in subtle ways that are not immediately obvious, which need to taken into consideration.

Makes sense - I wasn't aware that the gateway license works in a different way than the OGL. And in the end, it will be easy to adapt the adventures to whatever d100 system I'll be using for that particular session.

Looking forward to the Mythras project - and the new OpenQuest adventures!