Getting the Mastery Rune

Bohemond

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

So what then denotes Political Leadership?  I was always pretty certain that Orlanth Thunderous was about the Air/Storm Rune, Orlanth Adventurous was about the Mobility Rune, and Orlanth Rex was about the Mastery Rune?  And didn't Yelm have a Mastery Rune also, of much the same reason?

You speaking about glorantha in general whereas Jeff was specifically speaking about "RQG terms" (ie the political meaning of Mastery is absent in the RQG scheme of things).

2 hours ago, metcalph said:

You speaking about glorantha in general whereas Jeff was specifically speaking about "RQG terms" (ie the political meaning of Mastery is absent in the RQG scheme of things).

I take your point, but I think that a Mastery Rune should cover both eventualities.  Admittedly people will defer to a Rune Lord, but it goes somewhat deeper than that, surely?  I mean, much like the Mobility Rune covers both movement and change, and so Mastakos has both reusable Teleport and Protean abilities, surely Mastery is both mastery of skill and mastery of people?  It is a crown after all...

On 5/7/2019 at 10:02 PM, Jeff said:

In RQG terms, the Mastery Rune denotes Herodom, not political leadership.

Though the Orlanthi tradition tends to conflate the self-mastery and demonstrated prowess of the aspiring hero with political leadership, in acknowledgement of Orlanth, in the Orlanth Rex cult. In many other cultures they are far more distinct. 

The Orlanthi do not have a rune for Sovereignty, but rather assert that when the world is going well Sovereignty and Mastery are united. Other cultures associate Sovereignty or Rulership with entirely different virtues, and understand them in entirely different ways. Pamalts Power rune, for example, is about political leadership that is not associated with personal power or dominance, but with the ability to build coalitions and convince differing groups to cooperate - a good chieftain can be one who is able to cause great things to happen but maybe does almost none of it himself. For a Yelmic lord his power should come by being the rightful occupant of a position and then doing what the position requires, a hero who arises from the many to rule (Orlanth style, demonstrating Mastery) was traditionally considered disastrous (though of course, the Lunars have complicated that, it still remains the core of Dara Happen thinking). 

• Like 2