Which Runes and Techniques should the Sorcery spell Immortality have in your opinion?

Brootse

Summon, Combine, Fertility, Stasis would be my first idea. Or perhaps Man rather than Stasis.

Dispel, Separate and Death sounds more like the sorcerous variant of Resurrection.

If some living component is involved (How the West Was One had a rare type of oysters), a Tap might be involved.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Summon, Combine, Fertility, Stasis would be my first idea. Or perhaps Man rather than Stasis.

Dispel, Separate and Death sounds more like the sorcerous variant of Resurrection.

If some living component is involved (How the West Was One had a rare type of oysters), a Tap might be involved.

I'm using Water from the Fountain in Youth as the material ingredient IMG.

Command Fertility (Life) Stasis (unchanging) Man... Or Separate Death (from) Spirit ?  Or, Command Combine Fertility Spirit Man Stasis (forever) 5 point minimum for Immortality... at the very least!

Resurrection - Summon and Command Fertility (Life) Spirit (of) Man... yep, lots of Runes. Should be for a Reusable, MP only Resurrection spell!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brootse said:

It would convert a dead thing into magical energy you can use to power your spells.

...and someone related to the dead person - or a local animal spirit of the dead creature - might come and have a go at you for interfering with the passage to the land of the dead and the cycle of life and death.

11 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

...and someone related to the dead person - or a local animal spirit of the dead creature - might come and have a go at you for interfering with the passage to the land of the dead and the cycle of life and death.

Which sort of brings us full circle - is Tapping evil?

(and, FTR, I'm still conflicted... but probably that's because the player inside me wants to say "No!" so it can be used at will 😛 )

4 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Sure, but is it any likelier than some other power attacking you when you Tap something else? Should there be a chance of an Umbroli attacking you when you Tap Air (ie. cast Steal Breath)? And as for the dead creature attacking you, it might do that, but it would also get some amount of damage from the spell. RAW say that Steal Breath converts 3m^3 of air into magic points, wouldn't this mean that an Umbroli loses that much size?

2 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

(and, FTR, I'm still conflicted... but probably that's because the player inside me wants to say "No!" so it can be used at will 😛 )

According to the Guide, most people would think so, even if you use it against your enemies.

54 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Most Malkioni consider Tapping of living things to be evil, and many Malkioni schools do not teach Tap spells. But the Technique of Tapping in inherent in sorcery. Transforming matter into energy is just basic to the principles of Runic manipulation. So even if a school forbids Tapping, it is likely that it is secretly practiced.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brootse said:
On 5/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, Shiningbrow said:

What would happen if you Tap Death?

It would convert a dead thing into magical energy you can use to power your spells.

That would beTap Dead. Not sure such a spell exists, but then, it is similar to the magical source of power of ghouls, so why not.

No, if you tap Death, you tap the power that keeps the unliving from moving around, from following their basest instincts and hunger.

One of the most important thing the victors of the I Fought We Won battle did afterwards was to separate the living from the dead, affirming the power of Death. If you start tapping into that, the dead may rise once more.

IMO Tap Death would leech away the magic put into the funerary rites of people, nullifying them over time. And even if you are an ancestor worshipper you wouldn't want them to rise uncontrollably from their graveyards (outside of the proper dates to do so, if you're in Esrolia).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Most Malkioni consider Tapping of living things to be evil, and many Malkioni schools do not teach Tap spells. But the Technique of Tapping in inherent in sorcery. Transforming matter into energy is just basic to the principles of Runic manipulation. So even if a school forbids Tapping, it is likely that it is secretly practiced.

Surely the process of tapping techniques isn't evil, being inherent in all magic. So teaching the rune wouldn't be a problem, it would just be specific spells like Tap Size and stuff?

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

According to rules, NO.

According to the guide to Glorantha, it seems to be yes (I don't have it, but from answer here, it seems so).

28 minutes ago, The God Learner said:

As I understand it, in Glorantha, only Chaotics and God Learners are evil. And the Gods were willing to excuse the Chaotics.

There's plenty of evil around, just as there is in the real world that has neither Chaos nor God Learners. The God Learners didn't consider themselves evil, more people consider the Vadeli to be evil than the God Learners.

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

There's plenty of evil around, just as there is in the real world that has neither Chaos nor God Learners. The God Learners didn't consider themselves evil, more people consider the Vadeli to be evil than the God Learners.

In my Glorantha Trolls are evil and usually ask, "Youse got a problem with that bub"?

They do come from hell after all, not a sunny place filled with unicorns... uhh, wait a minute..?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 5/13/2019 at 1:03 PM, Shiningbrow said:

The Tap spells are not evil, but using them is generally considered evil, unless you belong to a special sect that allows it.

In the same way that guns are not evil, but someone using them to massacre innocents is doing evil using guns.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

The Tap spells are not evil, but using them is generally considered evil, unless you belong to a special sect that allows it.

In the same way that guns are not evil, but someone using them to massacre innocents is doing evil using guns.

Is Air innocent?