How long has your RQ G campaign been going on

2 hours ago, Crel said:

All the Money Tree times (and yours in particular, Bill) are very interesting to me because IIRC I've played the adventure three times over about seven years now, and each time I believe we completed it in one session of about 4 hours (with maybe another hour or so on top for RQ3 random char-gen).

Hmm. so do you think we took too long? Chargen for us back in the day was a session. used to do a little initiation into adulthood and a modified character background using campaigns past from the RQ companion. The party interacted with the town  before leaving on the quest and the quest itself was a day pr so. Never did rush the party. Two or three sessions usually.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Hmm. so do you think we took too long? Chargen for us back in the day was a session. used to do a little initiation into adulthood and a modified character background using campaigns past from the RQ companion. The party interacted with the town  before leaving on the quest and the quest itself was a day pr so. Never did rush the party. Two or three sessions usually.

No, not at all. It sounds to me like y'all went your pace, we went ours. My perspective on RQ since the beginning has generally been a pretty hack & slash, RP-lite one because that was our long-time GM's style. It didn't hurt that we were in RQ3 and so the Glorantha was especially lite. We still played in the setting, but didn't play actual material from it all that often. More just "Run and go do X to get paid Y" sorts of stuff. Very mercenary, very adventurer, very murder-hobo. And had a lot of fun with it. Both approaches are valid, I just thought such a variety of experiences with the Money Tree was interesting. :)

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

5 hours ago, Kloster said:

It seems we have the same problems. I am also disturbed by the fusion of attack and parry skills. For me, this is Stormbringer, not Runequest (same thing as the multiple parry rule and the attack result matrix). I also want to go back to the non simultaneous strike ranks of RQIII round (and thus the per SR moves). I am still undecided on the 10 or 12 SR round.

I kept the fusion of attack/parry. I do like that idea, just not how it interacts with other new rules. ;)

I made this handout for my players. It incorporates all of my RQ3-ish revisions to RQG combat. You might find it helpful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqmq88ratu5s6go/Newcomer's Guide to Runequest's Strike Rank Combat v0.5.pdf?dl=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gryphaea said:

The group consists of a mixture of players who are completely new to RQ and Glorantha (I brought them over from WFRP) and some old Grognards who have been around since RQ2. They are all loving being in Glorantha.

As you can tell, we are a little off canon now, so there is some ruling hacking going on to keep up - which is fine. The character advancement systems from the book is the area which is most under strain and really isn't fitting well with the needs of the campaign I am finding myself in. I am just giving characters spells and training as in kind rewards from the cults and communities they encounter as the XP rolls and particularly the POW gain rolls don't seem to give rewards that match character efforts. This isn't a complaint, simply an observation in keeping with the original question that started this topic.

Your game sounds great! :)

11 minutes ago, EpicureanDM said:

I kept the fusion of attack/parry. I do like that idea, just not how it interacts with other new rules. ;)

I made this handout for my players. It incorporates all of my RQ3-ish revisions to RQG combat. You might find it helpful: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqmq88ratu5s6go/Newcomer's Guide to Runequest's Strike Rank Combat v0.5.pdf?dl=0

Thanks. I can not access dropbox from work. I will check from home later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crel said:

No, not at all. It sounds to me like y'all went your pace, we went ours. My perspective on RQ since the beginning has generally been a pretty hack & slash, RP-lite one because that was our long-time GM's style. It didn't hurt that we were in RQ3 and so the Glorantha was especially lite. We still played in the setting, but didn't play actual material from it all that often. More just "Run and go do X to get paid Y" sorts of stuff. Very mercenary, very adventurer, very murder-hobo. And had a lot of fun with it. Both approaches are valid, I just thought such a variety of experiences with the Money Tree was interesting. :)

One of my fave experiences was in GreenBrass (actually in the mountains beyond Green Brass, I will have to tell ya about it some day.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

14 hours ago, Gryphaea said:

We then spent a couple of sessions on the events covered in the Winter War adventure posted on this site

Is that in the Cult of Chaos section of the forums or something? (I can't find anything otherwise)

At this point it was becoming clear I wasn't going to maintain seasonal adventuring and we would just have to follow the story arc where it took us.

I think it's very very probable that things go the same with my group. Although seasonal adventuring looks interesting, my group has a habit of getting into more and more trouble with no end in sight, in a way that makes it hard to reach any type of "conclusion" after which we can say "....and a few months later...". We'll see how it goes.

They have been restoring the lost Newtling Cult of the Storm Bull Frog, and are currently exploring the ruins just outside of Corflu

22 hours ago, jajagappa said:

probably the only published adventure I ever ran until adapting the Harvest Bride for HQG

On 5/13/2019 at 4:27 PM, jajagappa said:

the adventurers were sent by Queen Leika to Colymar's Lookout to gain a new vision for the tribe after Prince Kallyr's disastrous LBQ and the subsequent bad omens.  They had to travel to Garanstone first and then follow Colymar's path to the Lookout. After encounters enroute, an attack by bandits at Blacktree Shrine, a suggestion by the Raven to see Dekko, a venture into Dekko's Crevice where they gambled with Dekko and won a sleeping Earth priestess

What materials and references did you both use for all this? Was it mostly home-grown or from some obscure old RQ2 book or fanzine? I can't find much about most of those places and people.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

4 hours ago, lordabdul said:

What materials and references did you both use for all this? Was it mostly home-grown or from some obscure old RQ2 book or fanzine? I can't find much about most of those places and people.

For background on the Colymar, and some thoughts on how they first came to Sartar, I drew on the Colymar texts in King of Sartar and Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes. For the area around Whitewall where they originated, I used History of the Heortling People, and some myths related to Garan Low-star from Heortling Mythology. For some additional place related info, I used the old Dragon Pass Gazeteer (HW/HQ1 era supplement). All except the last are available on the Chaosium site, and the last you can get pdf on DriveThruRPG.

Also drew on a bit of background for the Battle of Auroch Hills from the Orlanth is Dead (HW/HQ1) supplement and HeroQuest Glorantha.  The former on DriveThruRPG and the latter direct from Chaosium.  Don't think I went back to anything earlier.

And, yes, some home-grown added in, particularly the Vision of the Colymar itself.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I think it's very very probable that things go the same with my group. Although seasonal adventuring looks interesting, my group has a habit of getting into more and more trouble with no end in sight, in a way that makes it hard to reach any type of "conclusion" after which we can say "....and a few months later...". We'll see how it goes.

I would say just go with it, find the type of stories that your players enjoy and you enjoy telling them. It could be said the story at the core of Glorantha is; Orlanth gets into more and more trouble and has to keep going till he fixes it. I posted something in the advice for Game masters' thread on how I have been dealing with XP roles.

Is that in the Cult of Chaos section of the forums or something? (I can't find anything otherwise)

The Adventure is called War in Winter (not Winter War as I thought) and can be found here .

I think that is a good question and posters should be called out on what there sources are more often I feel. However, as to where do I find out about the Storm Bull Frog cult is unfortunately that you can't, it is a silly improvised pun made by one of my players and it kind of developed a life of its own in game. Sorry.
In my game it is a Spirit Cult for Newtlings in the Marshes south of Prax. It is a re-skin of the Storm Bull cult but localised to meet the needs of the Newtlings, who every so often have to band together to deal with a Chaos infestation taking hold of a part of the Marsh.

Edited by Gryphaea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EpicureanDM said:

I've read it. Nice work.

8 hours ago, Gryphaea said:

However, as to where do I find out about the Storm Bull Frog cult is unfortunately that you can't, it is a silly improvised pun made by one of my players and it kind of developed a life of its own in game.

Hehe I figured as much -- it's a very good pun and, in retrospect, kind of obvious, so given that we have, you know, talking ducks and such, I wondered if maybe this was coming from some fanzine or something. I might steal it!

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

@lordabdul You may find this useful as well...

How Frog became a Frog.

In the Green Age the world was so abundant, all you had to do was drop a seed on the earth and a tree full of delicious fruit would spring up where you stood. During that time there was a small creature that kept getting stuck in trees. Help me, the creature cried out and '********' helped him by stretching his legs to make them larger and teaching him to fly through the air so he could jump from tree to tree.

When the lesser darkness came the little creature became hungry as all the insects that came up from hell with the Trolls had eaten all the fruit on the trees. Again the creature called out for help and again '******' helped him. This time ******* stretched out his tongue and taught the creature to use it to catch insects. And Frog grew large eating the insects, and grew to the size of a Buffalo.

When Chaos came and the Greater Darkness fell, Frog was very hungry. Frog heard about the great compromise where men and animals would throw lots to see who would be herded and who would herd, who would eat the dry grass and who would eat them, and who ride and who would be ridden. Frog went to the meeting place were all the animals and the humans were and asked if he could join in.  But all the Humans laughed at Frog as no one wanted to ride a Frog. So in shame Frog ran away to the swamps and hid there.

I am not sure who ****** is in this tale. When I first drafted the story if left it blank and I have decided to leave it that way. Initially I was thinking Trickster, but a dead and now forgotten god is also possible. Genert fits well. But I also do like the helper being open ended. There is the possibility to extend the story to include that origin of the Storm Bullfrog, but I'll leave it up to you.

• Like 2