What can Divine Intervention do in a fight?

Tywyll

So one of my players just got knocked to -HP in the head. He asked for DI from his draconic ocean goddess to protect him (he is currently being attacked by a lich/vampire). His mates are fighting the creature.

What happens?

He's grappled by the monster and dominated, so I was thinking he would get turned to water, splash away and reform, healed and undominated. However, he is still squishy and vulnerable to further attacks from the creature (i.e. he's not really being protected, just temporarily restored). 

2 hours ago, Tywyll said:

So one of my players just got knocked to -HP in the head. He asked for DI from his draconic ocean goddess to protect him (he is currently being attacked by a lich/vampire). His mates are fighting the creature.

What happens?

He's grappled by the monster and dominated, so I was thinking he would get turned to water, splash away and reform, healed and undominated. However, he is still squishy and vulnerable to further attacks from the creature (i.e. he's not really being protected, just temporarily restored). 

If they have little to no chance of beating the lich, the whole group being washed away to safety would be a common effect I think. 

If they're winning (or they "need" to defeat it), then save the character and maybe heal the whole group, renew MPs, etc. 

You could also get more creative... Rivers/flowing waters destroy vampires instantly from what I remember, but I don't like too much direct interference from the gods (Aka kill/weaken the enemy directly). Maybe lend a magical weapon to the character or bless his weapon so he can permanently damage the lich for the duration of the battle? 

• Like 1

I reread the section on DI in the book and the example had the character gain a 6 point Lightning Bolt. Which got me thinking, a six point Shield spell would 

A) Protect him

B ) Have blocked EXACTLY the amount of damage that dropped him.

C) Okay, it wouldn't undo the Dominate by RAW, but I figure it could, why not? It's freaking DI.

It does mess with causality a bit, but meh...

Has the player character become a running body of water? That might inconvenience the vampire quite a bit, as touching that body may sear at the Vampire's being. Sure, the character will probably suffer pain or wounds he needs to reform when the contact is over. But the Vampire will have the very same dilemma.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 5/13/2019 at 4:31 PM, Tywyll said:

What happens?

We played that the Deity would protect from one special power of the Lich, in this case would prevent him from being Dominated/Enthralled in the combat.

When fighting a Chaos Demon that had the power of "Demoralise all who saw it, no roll", so one of the PCs used Divine Intervention to Zorak Zoran to embolden them against the monster, so he made them temporarily immune to its power.

We played that Divine Intervention could not be used offensively, as stated in the rules. So, you couldn't ask for a pit to open up beneath the Lich, but you could ask for the Lich's Crypt to be hit by an earthquake, if you asked Maran Gor, but not if the crypt is a Temple.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 5/17/2019 at 7:14 PM, soltakss said:

We played that Divine Intervention could not be used offensively, as stated in the rules. So, you couldn't ask for a pit to open up beneath the Lich, but you could ask for the Lich's Crypt to be hit by an earthquake, if you asked Maran Gor, but not if the crypt is a Temple.

Interestingly, that seems to be out of the window sort of in the new rules. In the example, Orlanth gives the beseeching charact a 6 point lightning spell (granted, they still have to cast it, but...).