Breaking Possession

Tywyll

9 hours ago, Tywyll said:

Maybe dumb question...how do non-shamen break possession or exorcise spirits who possess targets?

I let the apprentice shaman (and "man" here is not the same root as our word so "shamans" is better) in my game just attack the spirit after discorporating with the rune spell. I'm not sure if there should be more to it than that.

32 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I let the apprentice shaman (and "man" here is not the same root as our word so "shamans" is better) in my game just attack the spirit after discorporating with the rune spell. I'm not sure if there should be more to it than that.

I don't use shaman at all. So how do theists exorcise a possession?

I was gonna say they could use the Free Ghost Rune spell, but as far as I can tell that's actually only available to Daka Fal, soooo...

I don't think it's supported by RAW, but you could perhaps rationalize allowing the use of the spirit magic spells Distraction, Summon (entity), or Control (entity). 

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

It's going back a few years, but IIRC it's Shaman/Shamanka... and not sure about the plural form. (although, shamanka could be the plural, and I've forgotten the feminine)

The only way I see without using Shaman at all is not completely theist: See the possessing entity with Second sight or Pierce Veil, Reduce it to 0 magic points with Drain Soul sorcery spell, and then use a Control or Dominate spell on it.

10 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Weird, the quick start references an Exorcism rune spell I think. 

I have searched the pdf and there are only 2 occurrences: p358 and the index entry that show p358.

Edited by Kloster
correct spelling

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

it's Shaman/Shamanka... and not sure about the plural form. (although, shamanka could be the plural, and I've forgotten the feminine)

Shaman is singular and plural like sheep, although RQG refers to them using the alternative shamans. Shaman these days is used genderless, shamaness used to be used, but much like actor and actress. Shamanka is avoided as it's just shaman with the Russian -ka for female ending. Indigenous tuvans, evenki and other transpolar cultures consider it offensive (Russian oppression of shamanism).

11017619165_4ab69b2a8f_b.jpg

Don't trust the shaman

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

4 hours ago, Tywyll said:

I don't use shaman at all. So how do theists exorcise a possession?

Page 371 (my emphasis)

The possessor can only be exorcised (see page 358) by another spirit or shaman.

Using Summon Cult Spirit and Command Cult spirit, (as has been mentioned) any cult spirit could be commanded to fight the spirit.

Page 358

Then, using the proper spirit (such as bringing healing spirits to fight against disease spirits, etc.),

[...]

engages the spirit in spirit combat.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

19 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Page 371 (my emphasis)

Using Summon Cult Spirit and Command Cult spirit, (as has been mentioned) any cult spirit could be commanded to fight the spirit.

So what would a generic cult spirit look like/be statted as? 

39 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

So what would a generic cult spirit look like/be statted as? 

Page 273

Cult Spirits

Most deities have an array of subservient spirits, such as petty deities, elementals, guardians, spirits of worshipers, and other such entities, that serve as cult spirits available to loyal worshipers. As a rule, greater deities control more spirits as well as more types of spirits.

Page 342

Summon Cult Spirit

[...]

1–3 Points (depending on cult spirit)

[...]

See the Glorantha Bestiary for examples of cult spirits.

Big list of types in the Bestiary. Look at the allied spirits table on page 277, for sorts of spirits (I know this is a list of hosts, but it's the same difference) or rune associations - So Orlanth could summon a hawk or shadowcat animal spirit, or pretty much any mammal spirit as Air is associated with mammals (page 49). As for POW, based on the elemental POW / spell level

Summon Cult spirit 1 3D6 POW

Summon Cult spirit 2 3D6+6 POW

Summon Cult spirit 3 4D6+6 POW

For example

My Wind Lord summons a Large Hawk spirit roll 4D6+6 and cap it at the maximum for animal spirits (24)

A Issaries Mechant might summon a small mule spirit roll 3D6 and cap it at the maximum for animal spirits (24)

My Ernalda priestess might summon a medium local nymph spirit roll 3D6+6 and cap it at the maximum for nymph spirits (25)

or just say Summon cult spirit just summons one spirit of its type generated normally.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

15 hours ago, David Scott said:

Shaman is singular and plural like sheep, although RQG refers to them using the alternative shamans. Shaman these days is used genderless, shamaness used to be used, but much like actor and actress. Shamanka is avoided as it's just shaman with the Russian -ka for female ending. Indigenous tuvans, evenki and other transpolar cultures consider it offensive (Russian oppression of shamanism).

My bad!

I'm just remembering from Shamanic Voices from many years ago... (or similar - but I thought it was in that one).

(I wonder how they feel about the "cultural appropriation" of their term?)