Sunglasses

RHW

1 minute ago, Brootse said:

Oh, I didn't know that trollkin could be trained out of it.

It's the chief differentiator of AA spear trollkin mercenaries, they can fight in the day when they have to, like dark trolls.

they didn't exist until a trollkin heroquested to make the connection with Argan Argar, I think during the Gbaji Wars.

30 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

It's the chief differentiator of AA spear trollkin mercenaries, they can fight in the day when they have to, like dark trolls.

they didn't exist until a trollkin heroquested to make the connection with Argan Argar, I think during the Gbaji Wars.

That sounds interesting, where it's from?

19 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

Spearkin only became viable after Naxili Garang altered the curse to produce multiple births, which happened in 612 according to Uz Lore (RQ2 edition p17, side bar). On p.20 it says that the Argan Argar cult started to teach the little wretches the spear in the Second Age.

There was a trollkin lieutenant in 562 (the famous betrayal because he had been treated kindly by White Women), so the single births apparently were treated better before the multiple births created swarms of the little critters.

Trollkin mercenary units in the service of the EWF appeared rather late, after 976.

The Only Old One and his Kitori were spearmen already before or at least during the Greater Darkness.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Akhôrahil said:

Or iff you think the obsidian thing is a bit high tech, merely the kind of snow goggles polar expeditions used (which keep out light and reflections) should be a lot better than nothing.

Wooden snow goggles belonging to Captain Scott in British National ...

Scott's snow goggles

Ooh, Death Goggles!

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Or iff you think the obsidian thing is a bit high tech, merely the kind of snow goggles polar expeditions used (which keep out light and reflections) should be a lot better than nothing.

Inuit Snow Goggles - Carved Bone 5" W. 1 1/4" H. Fine Condition ...

Inuit-style snow goggles, bone

These designs are used in Six Ages, and look beautiful there.

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Thank you, that reminded me of this picture of Argan Argar traders in Six Ages: Ride like the Wind:  😋

1770344146_tradertrolls.jpg.0c8d31d00e9f96840a348ad80b1768f6.jpg

• Like 6

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

2 hours ago, Darius West said:

Eskimo snow goggles are called "iggaak", or "inuktitut".  A pity they aren't in the dictionary, as you can't use those words in Scrabble.

That's because those words aren't (insert whatever language you're playing scrabble in)

6 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

That's because those words aren't (insert whatever language you're playing scrabble in)

<looks blank>

Do people play in any other language than Inuvialuktun???

huh

People are wierd.

Edited by g33k
Typo
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, Darius West said:

As the Inuit invented them, perhaps we should use their name for them?  That is the long standing convention in English.

that was my point. Inuktitut is the name of the language spoken by the Inuit, not the name of the item. "Eskimo" is a slur.

The name for these glasses in Inuktitut is ilgaak, or in some dialects where assimilation of l happens, iggaak.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

that was my point. Inuktitut is the name of the language spoken by the Inuit, not the name of the item. "Eskimo" is a slur.

It's also used by some as a wider term when dealing with both the Inuit and the Yupik, in places where both people live -- since calling someone who's Yupik an Inuit would be a slur worse than Eskimo, which they tolerate.

Of course calling them Yupik, Aluit, or Inuit depending on their nation would probably be the best way.

And by the by, the Yupik would call the snow goggles nigaugek. Which makes me wonder what the uz would call them, and if they'd consider the snow goggle-style and the dark glass style different objects entirely.

• Like 2