[download]Magic World GM Screen

Nick J.

Magic World GM Screen

A 6 page, landscape format, GM screen that you can print out and put in one of those DIY GM screen thingies (or just leave it open on your laptop and save a tree).

Includes some useful tables for combat, movement, prices, and some other odds and ends that I always find I'm flipping or searching for.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, because Chaosium said they would allow third party developments for MW, would it be possible to do a Kickstarter deal with Chaosium where we could get MW redesigned and reprinted into a more attractive book?

I find the system great, but the look of the book is offputting when trying to entice players from other games with more evocative art and better production values.

(As an aside, 'basic roleplaying' doesn't help as a brand name, either. I find it odd that Chaosium still goes with the BRP name for its generic system, purely from a business pov. 100% Roleplaying, or similar, would be better. In my view, few people would immediately warm to the idea of doing a 'basic' version of something they are interested in. And even after having done it, the implication is that they would eventually seek out more advanced games. That's why I like Magic World as a generic fantasy base, but the book needs a new look. Using it to entice hardcore DnD people who have never tried D100 is a difficult sell aesthetically.)

Just curious. I'd love to see a new book and, even, a move away from the 'basic' core system label.

17 hours ago, Nikoli said:

Out of curiosity, because Chaosium said they would allow third party developments for MW, would it be possible to do a Kickstarter deal with Chaosium where we could get MW redesigned and reprinted into a more attractive book?

I find the system great, but the look of the book is offputting when trying to entice players from other games with more evocative art and better production values.

(As an aside, 'basic roleplaying' doesn't help as a brand name, either. I find it odd that Chaosium still goes with the BRP name for its generic system, purely from a business pov. 100% Roleplaying, or similar, would be better. In my view, few people would immediately warm to the idea of doing a 'basic' version of something they are interested in. And even after having done it, the implication is that they would eventually seek out more advanced games. That's why I like Magic World as a generic fantasy base, but the book needs a new look. Using it to entice hardcore DnD people who have never tried D100 is a difficult sell aesthetically.)

Just curious. I'd love to see a new book and, even, a move away from the 'basic' core system label.

I presume that somebody would have to approach Chaosium with an offer to do such a KS project.

I have no idea what a "successful" pitch would look like.

Hmmm... OK, actually I have some "ideas" but no actual information, just armchair speculations.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/13/2019 at 9:06 AM, Nikoli said:

I can't say that I know anyone (except maybe collectors) who chooses what games games to play based on how they look or what they're called. Visuals might be a factor in getting you to take an initial interest... but... well, there's a reason I'm not interested in any of those PBTA games, regardless of the pretty pictures in them.

RPGs seem largely marketed by word of mouth, it's not like they're present on store shelves much these days. So go talk up the games you like, let everyone know why it's great fun to play.

Maybe there is some guy out there who says, "You know, that game sounds great and you're a good GM... but the rulebook is just too ugly, and the name is weird... so I'm gonna go play with a different group." Happily, I haven't met him.

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 1

Ideally, I agree. But I also recognise the impact that art has in generating an atmosphere for a game even prior to playing it. I recall the very first time playing MERP, or Warhammer, and how the art was a touchstone for inspiring both the GM and the players. It creates an emotional impact even before the first die is rolled. I used to just stare at those images for hours daydreaming, and returned to them again and again over the years for inspiration.

I think we all would agree the game is what's most important, which is why I bought it, but there's an impact based on the art and format. Particularly when other games are competing for attention and players. What one would like is the sense of anticipation when displaying the book, just like Stormbringer 5e is evocative.

It's a small thing, but the devil is in the details, and atmosphere is key in so many ways. Some of those ways are the 'tools' of the game itself: its presentation and art. Developers know this, to create an immersive effect - left brain and right - though unfortunately in our case a great system and game was unfortunately lumped with a poor package. 

It's just unfortunate. Nothing more. But I'd certainly buy a better presented version. I don't wish to play RQ6 or such, so alas I'm stuck with the look of the game I prefer! 

Hmm. Maybe I'll get a leather embossed cover! 

• Like 1

Which reminds me, I've not played in Glorantha, but apparently the 'ducks' have turned people away. Emotions and engagement with fantasy, with suspended disbelief, can be fickle and fragile. Every little (detail) helps, imo. Though one can't cater for everyone's tastes.

I love fantasy art, though. Good art and a good map, with a great system, is a heady combo for roleplaying.

If a djinni popped out of my coffee mug and gave me 3 wishes... well, none of them would be about RPGs... but if it gave me a few dozen wishes, somewhere in there I MIGHT wish Magic World and Core BRP to get shiny new editions with world class art (tastefully arrange so as to not clutter), and full support from nu-Chaosium for decades into the future.
But minus such wishes, I would rather have any available resources (fan energy and cash) diverted toward NEW content rather than reformatting old stuff for the sake of the handful of new players it might draw in.
If you want pretty pictures to inspire you, the internet is full of them... I keep folders full of images, organized by theme. Loads more stuff than can be crammed into any rulebook. I really do not need any art in my rulebooks.
My favorite rulebook design of all time is Classic Traveller... clean, clear... no illustrations at all (well, maybe one). Those 3 books had no trouble at all revving up my imagination and making me want to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simlasa said:

Maybe there is some guy out there who says, "You know, that game sounds great and you're a good GM... but the rulebook is just too ugly, and the name is weird... so I'm gonna go play with a different group." Happily, I haven't met him.

True enough, I loved Morrow Project and to say the graphics were, well... simple, not to mention how ugly some of RQ 3's graphics were, another system I loved.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 3 years later...