Dragon Magic Dragon Breath?

Tywyll

After thinking about it, I'd treat it like a dragon's breath.

The chance to hit for the dragonewt is its score in draconic lore.

A dodge -20 (it is an area attack after all) allows to avoid being in the cone and to remain standing, a jump allows to avoid the cone but the target ends prone.

Jean

• Thanks 1

It could of course be treated like a spell too. You don't have to roll to hit with Thunderbolt either. In our last session a dragonsnail had a chaotic freature from RQ3 that allowed it to breath fire for 3d10 damage a few times a day, but said nothing about its chance to hit. So to make things a bit more interesting I played that it had a 100% skill in it, ie. 96-00 misses and 00 fumbles. POW*5 or something could have worked too.

Edited by Brootse
  • Like 1

And BTW it's not an autohit (Yerazum has 60% chance to hit for instance). As for being able to dodge it, I found nothing on this, so I guess it's GM's fiat: either you consider to be a fast propelled missile (like an arrow or a bolt fired from a bow/crossbow) and there is no dodge possible, either you considered it to be dodgeable  (like thrown weapons) and it will be dodged if it succeeds at half skill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jps said:

And BTW it's not an autohit (Yerazum has 60% chance to hit for instance). As for being able to dodge it, I found nothing on this, so I guess it's GM's fiat: either you consider to be a fast propelled missile (like an arrow or a bolt fired from a bow/crossbow) and there is no dodge possible, either you considered it to be dodgeable  (like thrown weapons) and it will be dodged if it succeeds at half skill.

How much time does the dragon need to warm up the attack? If it's the classic pull back the head and then lunge forward and breath - yeah, dodge! If there's none of that, hugely negative dodge...

• Like 1

I always give PCs the chance to dodge breath attacks, as it only seems fair.

Also, I give Cacodemon and Fiends Heroic Casting of Vomit Acid, as they are not powerful enough as they are, so when a hundred foot tall demon grins and starts to gulp, you know it's time to move out of the way! I thought about having him stick one of his fingers down his throat, but he'd lose a Claw Attack that way.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 hours ago, jps said:

At first glance, it seems there is no warming up, a Dream Dragon could breathe every round. I tend to agree with you about the head's pull back and lunge forward thus deserving a dodge roll.

I think he probably meant, narratively. If the dragon takes a gulp of air right before it breathes fire (as is seen in most modern media depictions of dragons) than it seems reasonable that PCs could attampt to leap out of the way of dragon's face. It's not so much they avoid the fire as they just avoid the direction the head is pointing. 

On 5/31/2019 at 3:15 PM, Tywyll said:

I think he probably meant, narratively. If the dragon takes a gulp of air right before it breathes fire (as is seen in most modern media depictions of dragons) than it seems reasonable that PCs could attampt to leap out of the way of dragon's face. It's not so much they avoid the fire as they just avoid the direction the head is pointing. 

But I've also seen "modern media" show dragons exhaling an extended, multi-second blast, during which the head waved back and forth, covering a 90+ degree angle of fire... 

Maybe one claims "dodging" into a shallow depression, or behind an obstacle, such that you escape the brunt of it.  But only a small portion (the very edges) of such broad target areas allow one to dodge entirely away...

OTOH, the RQG-specific details are AFAIK kind of sparse...

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 6/3/2019 at 12:55 AM, g33k said:

But I've also seen "modern media" show dragons exhaling an extended, multi-second blast, during which the head waved back and forth, covering a 90+ degree angle of fire... 

Maybe one claims "dodging" into a shallow depression, or behind an obstacle, such that you escape the brunt of it.  But only a small portion (the very edges) of such broad target areas allow one to dodge entirely away...

OTOH, the RQG-specific details are AFAIK kind of sparse...

Check out GoT season 7 and 8 for PCs dodging a dragon's breath!