Basic Spirit Magic representation and use

klecser

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I totally appreciate that's how your Glorantha works.

It was -- as you suggested -- a hypothetical.  An idea I had, after noticing that 1-week time to learn a spell, vs. an almost-instant result of spirit-combat.

How could it take a week to be... I dunno, able to do? ... something you learned -- in mere moments -- how to do?

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I base mine on real world examples. The mind can be trained to focus relatively easily, especially if it's been taught to (as I imagine is the case in Glorantha as well). 

We have (so far as I have been able to determine) no "real world examples" of reliable/repeatable spirit-magic spells.  Not learning them, not casting them.  So a spell-casting focus may not be the same as a real-world focus.

In particular, my idea calls for the spell-casting process to be a swift series of mental transformations; a series of foci, that are encapsulated into the one item/image/whatever.  It is made such that it "leads the mind" through the process.

But it's just an idea.  One I think works, it fits the world as-described.  But if Chaosium has a different idea, I'm happy for that, too.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 minutes ago, g33k said:

We have (so far as I have been able to determine) no "real world examples" of reliable/repeatable spirit-magic spells.  Not learning them, not casting them.  So a spell-casting focus may not be the same as a real-world focus.

Perhaps those who tried to use them just kept failing their POWx5% roll 😛

More seriously though - the ideas Greg uses for this do come from real world examples of how various peoples think and believe. So, I think they're fair comparisons...

However - as said, I personally would like a greater idea of Chaosium's views of how this works (rather than what seems to be an ad hoc).

19 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

Tattoos on their neck and chest, then! 😆

Derak the Dark Troll, in our RQ2 Campaign, had his bones slowly turned to Lead by his Lead Fist. Before he became a Living Lead Skeleton, he realised that he could open up a wound and carve things onto his bones, so he carved all his Foci into his Rib Bones, on the assumption that he could lose a limb but was unlikely to lose a rib. He discounted tattoos on the basis that they could be sliced off. When he became a Living Lead Skeleton, he enchanted some wraiths to permanently whirl around his bones and through his ribs, just because it looked cool.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 hours ago, soltakss said:

Derak the Dark Troll, in our RQ2 Campaign, had his bones slowly turned to Lead by his Lead Fist. Before he became a Living Lead Skeleton, he realised that he could open up a wound and carve things onto his bones, so he carved all his Foci into his Rib Bones, on the assumption that he could lose a limb but was unlikely to lose a rib. He discounted tattoos on the basis that they could be sliced off. When he became a Living Lead Skeleton, he enchanted some wraiths to permanently whirl around his bones and through his ribs, just because it looked cool.

Somebody had too much time (and POW) on his hands Errr... ribs.

• Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig