Jump to content
Bohemond

Sartar High Council Larp

Recommended Posts

I just ran a one-shot Larp (or as the Brits call it, a Free-Form) based on the Sartar High Council that Greg published back in Wyrms' Footnotes. The published material needed a lot of development (little things like goals...), but it turned out really well. Kallai Rockbuster, Hofstaring Treeleaper, and Kallai Starbrow were all seeking to be made Prince of Sartar, while Sarostip Cold-Eye was angling for a war with the Telmori.  In the end, Benava Chan divorced Kallai to marry Kallyr Starbrow, who won the support of a majority of the Council. Then Chipmunk Bing tried to assassinate Kallyr by poisoning the Iron Torc, but Sarostip sensed an assassination attempt and thwarted it. Much fun was had by all, and the Kolati Durulz shaman did an astounding job of costuming (I'm hoping to get permission to post pics...)

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds spectacular!  Was this at a con, and were the players hardened Gloranfans, newbies, or scattered across that spectrum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was at a small local LARPing event--it was one of a half-dozen LARPs being run this weekend. 5 of the 13 players were familiar with Glorantha, while the others were mostly newbies. It's part of a masterplan I'm working on to set up a Sartar LARP campaign. I figured I'd run some one-shots to build a player base that knows the basic setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bohemond said:

It was at a small local LARPing event--it was one of a half-dozen LARPs being run this weekend. 5 of the 13 players were familiar with Glorantha, while the others were mostly newbies. It's part of a masterplan I'm working on to set up a Sartar LARP campaign. I figured I'd run some one-shots to build a player base that knows the basic setting. 

LARPing and the SCA used to be a thing here 20-30 years back (SCA still is I am sure) but the LARPing was all D&D style rules or Tolkienesque or nordic—all good, a weekend out in the park systems and ravines in costume. It wasn't RQ though... I read about Glornathan LARPing in zines and online only and thought it sounded cool but it all seemed to be happening in California (natch), Britain, Australia and Europe. None in the Great White North that I could see. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

LARPing and the SCA used to be a thing here 20-30 years back (SCA still is I am sure) but the LARPing was all D&D style rules or Tolkienesque or nordic—all good, a weekend out in the park systems and ravines in costume. It wasn't RQ though... I read about Glornathan LARPing in zines and online only and thought it sounded cool but it all seemed to be happening in California (natch), Britain, Australia and Europe. None in the Great White North that I could see.

Most conventions covering several days with a sizeable crowd of Glorantha fans will see a LARP or two. Sartar High Council is an excellent short LARP, and Chris Gidlow's Tarsh War (also for a about a dozen players) took me a  couple more hours to run. Another similarly scaled LARP was King's Funeral by Ingo Tschinke (which I never played, but refereed as a last-minute stand-in, once) - never been published, but was run close to ten times that I know of.

I also was drafted as referee/narrator for a rubber sword LARP around a dozen years ago, using European style rubber sword larp rules set in Glorantha.

The Great White North can be lonely - the best place for playing in Glorantha at those latitudes probably is Finland. During my year in northern Norway I did manage to find a club game in Bodø, Norway once, but that was WEG Star Wars, and five hours of driving (southwards, mostly), so I feel for you. (Now back in the south at about 54 degrees latitude.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joerg said:

The Great White North can be lonely - the best place for playing in Glorantha at those latitudes probably is Finland. During my year in northern Norway I did manage to find a club game in Bodø, Norway once, but that was WEG Star Wars, and five hours of driving (southwards, mostly), so I feel for you. (Now back in the south at about 54 degrees latitude.)

 

you got it Joerg. Ah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

... None in the Great White North that I could see. 

LARPs are too dangerous there!

 

 

 

If the polar bears don't eat you, the moose trample you.

(I understand the Finns subcontract with Santa to keep the Reindeer Problem controlled, but the FatMan took one look at Canadian Moose and Nope'd right out).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, g33k said:

If the polar bears don't eat you, the moose trample you.

 (I understand the Finns subcontract with Santa to keep the Reindeer Problem controlled, but the FatMan took one look at Canadian Moose and Nope'd right out).

 The last thing that fat jolly old elf yelled over his shoulder as he harrumphed away was...

"and don't even get me started on the beavers... Ho Ho Ho!"

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arctic outdoor LARPing has one more significant foe - Gorakiki Mosquito. When temperatures are mild enough to play any character but Harrek (huddled deeply into his Ice Bear rug), it is a smørgasbård for these daytime vampires.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Arctic outdoor LARPing has one more significant foe - Gorakiki Mosquito. When temperatures are mild enough to play any character but Harrek (huddled deeply into his Ice Bear rug), it is a smørgasbård for these daytime vampires.

Manitoba and NE Ontario have mosquitos that actually have SIZ. Newcomers have attempted to hit them with maces only to have the mosquitos rip the maces out of the newcomers hands and started to beat them. 

At which point you are incredibly happy to be playing a wizard with robes and you start smirking at the barbarians.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...