What is next out for RQG?

Kevinrune

I think... Smoking Ruins scenario pack is next? I'd need to dig out that video that Jeff and Jason did at a con in Germany where they were talking about the GaGoG book. There's that, then Pegasus Plateau scenario pack, then Campaign Guide (formerly Gamemaster's Guide), then Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think... Smoking Ruins scenario pack is next? I'd need to dig out that video that Jeff and Jason did at a con in Germany where they were talking about the GaGoG book. There's that, then Pegasus Plateau scenario pack, then Campaign Guide (formerly Gamemaster's Guide), then Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha....

Really?  The GM's Guide / Campaign Guide / whatever is that far downstream?  😢  I mean... it is what it is, and I'm sure they are no more eager to delay that release than I am to see it delayed.

But...  sadface !!!

Possibly relevant for right now, not "sometime... soon... we hope..."

• The myth-rich Glorantha Sourcebook.  No game-mechanics, so equally applicable to RQG, HQG, 13G, HarnG, StorytellerG, HomebrewG, etc...
  • The massive, encyclopedic Guide to Glorantha, two oversized volumes roughly equivalent to 4 normal volumes.  Also pure setting, zero mechanics.

Also recall that all of the RuneQuest Classic and Gloranthan Classics lines up-convert VERY easily to the new RQG editions...

And though they have the "wrong" mechanics:

• HeroQuest Glorantha aka HQG.  Many feel the "fluff" in this book is some of the best Gloranthan intro ever.
  • Coming Storm / Eleven Lights, HQG campaign but easily upgraded to RQG; some consider it the best-ever Glorantha campaign.
  • Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes and Sartar Companion, more HW/HQ goodness.

Last5 but not least, consult this link:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/4064-upcoming-glorantha-publications/

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 hours ago, g33k said:

Also recall that all of the RuneQuest Classic and Gloranthan Classics lines up-convert VERY easily to the new RQG editions...

I wonder if it would be worth someone's time to do the conversions, and then publish them as RQG books?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

I wonder if it would be worth someone's time to do the conversions, and then publish them as RQG books?

The material is (c)'ed, not OGL.  I am guessing somebody could approach Chaosium and work out a license.

I presume it would just be small supplements, the NPCs & different spells & such, not republishing the whole works with RQG'ified NPCs &c....

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

The material is (c)'ed, not OGL.  I am guessing somebody could approach Chaosium and work out a license.

I presume it would just be small supplements, the NPCs & different spells & such, not republishing the whole works with RQG'ified NPCs &c....

Yeah, that's sort of what I had in mind - although the republish could also happen if Chaosium wanted it to.

Chaosium could also send out an offer - anybody willing to do the work can submit, and then Chaosium print it (after appropriate checking and editing, of course!)

9 hours ago, g33k said:

Really?  The GM's Guide / Campaign Guide / whatever is that far downstream?  😢  I mean... it is what it is, and I'm sure they are no more eager to delay that release than I am to see it delayed.

That's not a deviation from their plan to put out scenarios early and frequently. I wouldn't be astonished if they manage to insert another scenario book or two between campaign guide and GaGoG.

A cause for rejoicing rather than sadface, really.

9 hours ago, g33k said:

Possibly relevant for right now, not "sometime... soon... we hope..."

• The myth-rich Glorantha Sourcebook.  No game-mechanics, so equally applicable to RQG, HQG, 13G, HarnG, StorytellerG, HomebrewG, etc...
  • The massive, encyclopedic Guide to Glorantha, two oversized volumes roughly equivalent to 4 normal volumes.  Also pure setting, zero mechanics.

Those remain in print (or available as pdf), and are pretty unavoidable if you want to do more than follow existing campaigns (including the ones for HeroQuest which are sort of stat-less cameos in terms of RuneQuest usability). For Orlanthi heroquesting, The Book of Heortling Mythology offers a lot more myths you could follow, and it gives you a feel for the kind of myths you could invent for those deities.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 4 weeks later...

Long suffering RQ GM's like myself need many, many fully-fleshed out adventures and campaigns in the vein of Borderlands, and NOT in the vein of Griffin Mountain (which I love, but has been the source of never-ending work for me).

If you could even have smaller adventures available for purchase online, or in some periodical format that would be great.

The strength of D&D was frequent and prolific modules.  Whatever format it comes in, we need more, and lots more adventures/scenarios/campaigns with full stats and such.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Beornvig said:

If you could even have smaller adventures available for purchase online, or in some periodical format that would be great.

The strength of D&D was frequent and prolific modules.  Whatever format it comes in, we need more, and lots more adventures/scenarios/campaigns with full stats and such.

I recall a rumor that something similar to 5E's DM's Guild or CoC's Miskatonic Repository was/is in the works. Hopefully soon (but isn't everything "hopefully soon?"), because you're right--there's a dire need for more 1625+ adventures.

• Like 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

30 minutes ago, Beornvig said:

Long suffering RQ GM's like myself need many, many fully-fleshed out adventures and campaigns in the vein of Borderlands, and NOT in the vein of Griffin Mountain (which I love, but has been the source of never-ending work for me).

If you are prepared to dig about on ebay you can get some old white dwarf adventures for RQ3, mostly from issues 80-100. You can also can get tradetalk magazine from drivethru.rpg that have some RQ3 and HQ adventures. 

There are six new RGQ adventures being run at GenCon and there were already others (Darkness at Runegate etc) that were run at other conventions that haven't been released, so I'm guessing there's enough content for them to release something within the next few months. I would assume they are waiting upon artwork and final tweaking before they go to layout.

Next up is the Smoking Ruins, then the Pegasus Plateau, and then the Starter Set. The RuneQuest Campaign Book and the Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha - those are my special projects and will be done when I feel they are done. Both contain tons of new material and help move the game forward into new territory - but as a result, they are far more complex than campaign and scenario books.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pentallion said:

First I've heard of something called the Starter Set.  What's that?

Previously mentioned as "like" the CoC7 starter set.  I'd look for descriptions & reviews of that, and envision a RQ/Gloranthan instead of CoC/Mythos product.

(I too would love an "official" answer with, e.g., a definitive contents-list)

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Interesting....

RPG19164508 - Calm the Heart, Raise the Fists

Game System: RuneQuest Roleplaying in Glorantha
GM: David Millians

The peaceful island of Wag Laan sits in the gentle waters of the balmy Suam Chow, the great inland sea of Kralorela, the Empire of Dragons. Fisherman and rice farmers work the water and land, all governed in peace by the wise and wealthy Nong Clan, but discordant struggles belie the calm and threaten everyone. Who is a hero? This scenario is for RuneQuest Glorantha and incorporates a preview of the new Draconic Mysticism rules. Guest DM author David Millians.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Beornvig said:

Chaosium also writes Call of Cthulhu, the game which, by my count, has one of the highest amount of scenario/campaign books in the industry. So I'm not worried about whether they understand the value of lots of adventure modules... the question is more about whether they think that's what the RQG audience wants, vs. other types of books like cults and regions and tribes, which is what I see a lot of people asking for. I myself would be happy with the 60/40 approach that most of the previous HeroQuest material had, which was that each location came with both descriptions for sandbox/custom play, and a couple or more pre-made adventures.

• Like 4

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

7 hours ago, Pentallion said:

First I've heard of something called the Starter Set.  What's that?

It is described in the above video: basic rules, 1 short adventure to learn rules, 3 new small aventures + maps + pregens + simplified version to generate PCs.

19 hours ago, Jeff said:

Next up is the Smoking Ruins, then the Pegasus Plateau, and then the Starter Set. The RuneQuest Campaign Book and the Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha - those are my special projects and will be done when I feel they are done. Both contain tons of new material and help move the game forward into new territory - but as a result, they are far more complex than campaign and scenario books.

I'm somewhat tired of waiting for GGoG... Of course, I'll wait again next year or next-next year. Already waited over 5 years.

But if I had GGoG preview copy,  I woud have waited more happily. Has anyone a extra copy and sell me it?

1 minute ago, qws2 said:

I'm somewhat tired of waiting for GGoG... Of course, I'll wait again next year or next-next year. Already waited over 5 years.

But if I had GGoG preview copy,  I woud have waited more happily. Has anyone a extra copy and sell me it?

An old version was sold last year at GenCon. It was MUCH smaller than the current version, and a lot has been revised even in the material that was included.

Maybe - just maybe - I can be persuaded to sell a few of the current two-volume manuscript at GenCon, but there's need to be significant interest.

Gods and Goddesses will take a while because it has a LOT of art, and it gets updated as I realise additional information is needed to support scenarios, etc. And of course the art. You think RQG looked good? 

Orlanth4.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Said it before, and no doubt I'll be saying it again:  Jeff, you are  SUCH  a tease!

Also, I may need to send you a bill for some napkins, because wiping up the drool is beginning to look like a serious expense.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

An old version was sold last year at GenCon. It was MUCH smaller than the current version, and a lot has been revised even in the material that was included.

Maybe - just maybe - I can be persuaded to sell a few of the current two-volume manuscript at GenCon, but there's need to be significant interest.

Gods and Goddesses will take a while because it has a LOT of art, and it gets updated as I realise additional information is needed to support scenarios, etc. And of course the art. You think RQG looked good? 

Orlanth4.jpg

Wowzer!  That is SPECTACULAR!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Oh, that is truly awful, bring back Dobyski... Ducks!

• Haha 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!