Silly (?) healing questions

klecser

My first game in six hours!

While I was reviewing the basic rules last night, I surprised myself to find that I didn't quite understand healing as well as I thought I did. I think part of it may be that I am reading the text as every single word mattering, and maybe it doesn't.

Question 1: Do healing sources heal BOTH location hit points AND total hit points?

The Heal Rune spell specifies that it heals at a location AND total hit points. But the Spirit Magic Heal does not. Does this deliberately imply that Rune Heal is more powerful because it ALSO heals total hit points? The example on page 149 describes how Sorala heals 5 hit points to her arm but only 3 are applied since she only lost three in that location. Does she recover 3 hit points to her total hit points as well?

Question 2: If Spirit Magic only heals location hit points, how does one go about healing total hit points besides a Rune spell or First Aid/Natural healing?

Question 3: I've heard people reference healing potions and they appear on one of the QuickStart characters. The box on p150 RRIG references healing potions, but a search of the index shows no entry under "Healing Potion" or "Potion" or "Craft" for the ability to craft potions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by klecser

19 minutes ago, klecser said:

Question 1: Do healing sources heal BOTH location hit points AND total hit points?

Yes.

20 minutes ago, klecser said:

Question 2: If Spirit Magic only heals location hit points, how does one go about healing total hit points besides a Rune spell or First Aid/Natural healing?

n/a

21 minutes ago, klecser said:

Question 3: I've heard people reference healing potions and they appear on one of the QuickStart characters. The box on p150 RRIG references healing potions, but a search of the index shows no entry under "Healing Potion" or "Potion" or "Craft" for the ability to craft potions.

Not sure of the question. If it is how does one craft a potion.one would use the knowledge skill, alchemy.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1/2: Just like any damage to a hit location affects total hit points, I assume that any healing done to a hit location will affect total hit points.

3: In RQ2 these potions usually have potencies ranging from 1 to 4, rarely higher, as their maximal potency was learned incrementally like with battle magic. The upper limit of a potion crafted with alchemy is the amount of raw material worked into the potion. When drunk, they affect a random damage and general hit points, when applied as an ointment, they affect the specific wound they are applied to. p.175 in the RQG rules specifies that one point takes effect immediately and the rest in hourly increments.

Given the delayed effect of extra points, few high potency potions appear to be a worse deal than quite a few more lower potency ones. There are few characters who would actually benefit from a potency 10 potion applied to a single wound.

These "1D10" potency heirlooms apparently lost their labels, or never had any. Normally the alchemist has rather tight control over the potency of the stuff he makes, with rare ones exceeding expectations.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Not sure of the question. If it is how does one craft a potion.one would use the knowledge skill, alchemy.

Sorry, you're right, I was unclear. How does a healing potion work? It just heals whatever number of points it is rated at and applies to any location? Edit @Joerg got it! Thanks!

And just to be sure I understand:

Arm has lost three HP. First aid applied to arm and heals five. Arm increases by only three. Total hit points increases by only three?

Edited by klecser

5 minutes ago, klecser said:

Arm has lost three HP. First aid applied to arm and heals five. Arm increases by only three. Total hit points increases by only three?

Yes. Bandaging your head doesn't stop the bleeding on your leg, and vice versa. Doing both with the same bandage would result in weird bondage positions.

Two people could perform first aid on separate wounds simultaneously, though, but I don't really see any potential for carry-over.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 minutes ago, klecser said:

Update: Well, the sad news is that we had to cancel due to multiple migraines of participants. But we have rescheduled for June 22.

I was going to ask... that's too bad. 

Now, let's hope the migraines dd not happen to strike only those who had just read the rules on healing, strike ranks, magic, or rising dragons...

cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

25 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

You don't have a healer in the party?

If you find someone with Rune magic that can cure any type of migraine, you will be swimming in L. ;)

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, klecser said:

If you find someone with Rune magic that can cure any type of migraine, you will be swimming in L. ;)

Humakt's own truth.

SWIMMING in it.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

We rescheduled for June 22nd and we have Call of Cthulhu on the 29th, so I'm using the extra time to get some wicked planning done for that game. Library ship on the seas of the Dreamlands that will encounter a dream variant of the Mary Celeste!