Pirates and Dragons Ye Legacy

Firebird01

Just starting a new campaign using Pirates and Dragons as a base system, and as I already do a log for the players so that they can more easily remember my carefully designed plot hooks and not wilfully misinterpret information given out in the sessions (some hope) thought I might as well post it on here to see if anyone else enjoys it, I will try to keep it easy to follow and fairly regular if I can but it will contain some group in-jokes and such like so sorry about that in advance.

NB the treasure map was drawn on real papyrus I got in an art supplies shop. GMs top tip here, when you spend time an effort to design a treasure map and then carefully divide into nine intriguing parts make sure you scan or copy it before cutting! More time spent piecing it back together so it can be copied.

Pirates and Dragons Ye Legacy season 1.docx

• Like 2

A'Ha Me Hearties and other piratical expressions etc.

Here be attached part two of the saga, along with the aforementioned treasure map fragments and the letter the characters have received for their ancestors written 45 years before the events unfolding.

We are still very much in the plot set up stages here but hopefully the story will start to unfold a bit from now on as everybody seems to be settling into character, especially 'Crimson' Jack who wilfully misinterprets the spoken word at every opportunity.

Pirates and Dragons Ye Legacy season 1 part 2.docx Pirate Pact.docx Treasure map obverse.pdf Treasure map.pdf

• Like 2

That's getting pretty interesting and the map is really cool.

As a quick FYI, if you wish to be as accurate as possible in French, the feminine for for "Comte" would be "Comtesse". But being that Gallic is a fantasy French-like language, you could easily overlook this little aspect.

Can't wait for part 3.

• Like 1

Better issue a blanket apology for those speakers of other languages out there, if I make any errors it is simply my bad as I was always a typical English man and useless at learning other languages. I won't let it get in the way of a good story though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firebird01 said:

Better issue a blanket apology for those speakers of other languages out there, if I make any errors it is simply my bad as I was always a typical English man and useless at learning other languages. I won't let it get in the way of a good story though!

No need to apologize, language can be hard to learn...French in particular is tricky. But you are right the story is great and I really enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glad you are enjoying it so far. Just been setting the scene for the players so far, should start to get really interesting (for me at least) soon given the drunken babblings of one of the party, will be posting the next one soon which seas them fighting in sea battles and crawling through jungle ruins.

PS I did a bit of research into my French Nobility titles and found that in the 16th and 17th century French had not completely settled into masculine and feminine nouns so that Comte could be used for a Comtesse interchangeably just changing the gender of the pronoun. This is always assuming the internet has got it right of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No issues as yet the character is being played as a fairly pious man who has yet to become fully immersed in a world of dragons and magic, he is pursuing his brief of investigating the Dragon Isles for potential sources of supply and power bases for the Suebian Empire and now has the new Suebian Ambassador in Safehaven to report to (and no doubt to give him some less than pleasant or not very moral tasks in the future).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoy there,

Part the sixth now uploaded. In which there was much talking and discussing at confused cross purposes until someone finally asked the right question of the right persons and some enlightenment was achieved. After all that investigation I think they need a good fight and a serious NPC to come up against.

Pirates and Dragons Ye Legacy season 1 part 6.pdf Dr. Lysetts translation.pdf

• Like 1

very nice work and good preparation! :)

as a side comment, even if I prepared as much and as well as you did, I wouldn't do a log for the players. On the contrary I would be interested in the player's own version of events... Only (very) rarely reminding them of something.

I mean it's also the player's story and I like to roll with it. Plus it's very fun to go along when they get it all wrong! :P 

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

8 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

very nice work and good preparation! :)

as a side comment, even if I prepared as much and as well as you did, I wouldn't do a log for the players. On the contrary I would be interested in the player's own version of events... Only (very) rarely reminding them of something.

I mean it's also the player's story and I like to roll with it. Plus it's very fun to go along when they get it all wrong! :P 

The log for the players actually started off as an aide de memoire for myself (getting on in years a bit now with the old memory fogging up on occasion) which helped me keep track of things as the notes I make during play tend to be a bit cryptic if I come back to them a bit later than I intended and note taking during play can interrupt the flow a bit so I only do it where necessary. I just jazzed it up a bit and added the pictures and the players, once they saw it, liked it so have kept it going.

The log itself is run and informed by the players decisions and actions (I have set up the basic plot but how they deal with it is totally up to them and have had to do plenty of gaming on the fly when they go off in an unexpected direction as a results of attaching importance to a throw away comment I have made during play)) so it is very much their story and if they recall something in the journal differently they will let me know and I will edit accordingly. It is also done in very general terms and there are lots of things going on specific to individual characters which it would not be right to put in the journal as the other characters don't necessarily know about such things.

It just fits my GM style at the moment, but each to their own, that's why all on these forums enjoy RPGs so much, not for us the limited choices of the latest computer or console game as (at least as I feel) they cannot hope to compete with our imaginations. Which computer game could let you have a discussion on the best way to compress a toad?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, André Roy said:

The joy of investigative work.

Well at least they seem to have a couple possible leads, 2 on the island, so they are moving forward.

For the NPC, do you plan to do a bit of foreshadowing or Will it be a either a random NPC or someone from their past? 

The NPC will be loosely based on one of the basic ideas I had when developing the background for the campaign but where they are headed now feels the right time for this one to crop up.

I have basically got a load of pictures that I printed off of applicable historical people from paintings etc. and give them a name, when they come up in play they sometimes don't even get stats, they are just somebody the characters have met, I flesh them out as and when needed with as much detail as the plot requires. This means that a major NPC (either benign or malevolent) can develop from a random beginning and also then grow in the same way as a PC does.

• 4 weeks later...

Now for your perusal the 7th instalment of this saga, along with a few things the players have been given.

NB No prizes up for grabs but if you recognize the text of 'The King Of Esbania Speaks' then lots of kudos for having good musical taste!

Pirates and Dragons Ye Legacy season 1 part 7.pdf Treasure map.pdf The King of Esbania Speaks.pdf

Yes a bit of Robinson Crusoe and a Bit of Benn Gunn mixed in.

They are still missing the top three pieces of the map, nine ancestors on the Dragons Scourge so nine map fragments six recovered so far. One major(ish) NPC in the Dragon Shaman known as The Homeless One, user of Blood Magic.

Next instalment fairly soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...