Escape from Boldhome, 1602

jeffjerwin

I'm planning to start my game (finally roped in enough suckers... err... players) this August and my initial idea is to do a flashback to the character's childhoods (the game is set in the 1610s) with a daring escape from Boldhome as it falls. I've got a pretty good idea of how it happens, because the narrative hasn't changed much. The Bat attacks over Mount Quivin, where it encounters the (dream?) dragon, the Moon Priestesses over the western ridges (what would have to be Two Tree Ridge) and the Lunar army over the wall with the Emperor.

Nonetheless, this leaves very few places to escape from (I assume that other Lunar forces block the north gate). One possibility is through a tunnel in Troll Town, or on some sort of aerial steed, though that would have to escape the Lunar flying troops. And Hofstaring did make a great leap, but that's beyond the means of children and youths.

The Dwarfs have sealed their palace.

I could imagine a PC's father or uncle or such trading something precious to the trolls to help their family get away, but that depends on whether the trolls have dug their way through the Quivini mountains, and where they might have an escape route. I find it plausible that the the trolls would have some means of getting out but whether it involves giant insects or the lava tunnels made by Quivin himself is another matter.

Posting here if anyone has ideas, quibbles, or observations...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

I'm planning to start my game (finally roped in enough suckers... err... players) this August and my initial idea is to do a flashback to the character's childhoods (the game is set in the 1610s) with a daring escape from Boldhome as it falls. I've got a pretty good idea of how it happens, because the narrative hasn't changed much. The Bat attacks over Mount Quivin, where it encounters the (dream?) dragon, the Moon Priestesses over the western ridges (what would have to be Two Tree Ridge) and the Lunar army over the wall with the Emperor.

Ooo, I am running in 1611,  just after sacred time, so this might well be of interest to me as well. There  might be a way of rewarding adventurers that in 1610 GST {your Gloranthan Standard Time} ask for x as part of their current chargen. Let them play out small pieces of the flashback escape where a child might succeed at base skill rate (plus character mods if you wish higher skills). Do not forget to augment with loves and other passions (possibly as auto successes roll for crits, special and fumbles) to help low skill checks get made. 

So, settings, a diplomatic envoy from a neutral state or cult fleeing the war and a child trying to stow away amongst the hub bub of animal handlers, guards families, etc of the envoy's flight. 

.Adventures in troll tunnels, no or little living conflict. but working in low light (no light, terrifying) situations, crossing underground streams and not getting carried away . tight turns...

Rainbow mounds and Shadows on the Borderland have rules and situations to plunder for this,

just a few thoughts.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

.Adventures in troll tunnels, no or little living conflict. but working in low light (no light, terrifying) situations, crossing underground streams and not getting carried away . tight turns...

Many advantages here, Perhaps as an adult he might try to remember things long forgotten in the rush to get away (successful or not depends on campaign arc's need). Can he get in this way and avoid the ... (insert conflict) waiting at the Boldhome gates Other items come to my mind so I would think it should spur some thought for you as well.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

More quick notes

Fleeing down alleys, across rooftops a side scrolling adventure a la prince of persia. The kids know the landscape well enough that they get auto skill augments (neighbour hood lore, the huge shadow cat in that yard will bound out of his tree after someone jumping in that particular yard just in time to crash into the soldier jumping in whilst chasing the first jumper (as this worthy gets away) Neighbourhood lore and memory (that roof  over there ... only jump from the left side of the chimney it is very easy to make the jump there and the right side has a hole you watched being repaired this morning and an adult soldier would fall through.

A gandalf like figure who leads the kids the party to come in 1610 GST as they flee Boldhome in 02. He takes out the biggest bosses in a flash bang way but the kids have to get the small fry.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

A gandalf like figure who leads the kids the party to come in 1610 GST as they flee Boldhome in 02. He takes out the biggest bosses in a flash bang way but the kids have to get the small fry.

Interesting idea. A good hook for later on... I have some ideas for that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Interesting idea. A good hook for later on... I have some ideas for that.

I do as much improvising as I can to stretch a module ( like to buy 'em myself) as well as make it ours, so I like to think of hooks from various sources literature, movies, real life, player's bios...and be ready to throw them down as needed. Downtime, new towns, initiating new characters, players bios.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

The civilian population of Boldhome doesn't seem to have suffered significant losses in the assault, at least we don't get any reports of massacres like that of Runegate. Sure, the Bat would have annihilated much of the population, had its attack been successful, but it looks like the champions' battle between Harsaltar and the Red Emperor was the decisive event in the battle.

Another question is the number of slaves carried off from this assault, the way they were selected, and whether they disappeared forever or whether some managed to return. We do know that there was a great amount of plunder even for the King of Tarsh when the main effort in the assault was carried by Heartland forces.

Boldhome remains a large city in the occupation, suggesting an ongoing settlement. And by Sartarites, rather than a complete resettlement with Tarshites.

So what would the immediate experiences of civilians in that conquest have been?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

I find it plausible that the the trolls would have some means of getting out but whether it involves giant insects or the lava tunnels made by Quivin himself is another matter.

Journey to the Centre of the Earth, 1864 Jules Verne,, of course. Should be a twist or two here

24 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The civilian population of Boldhome doesn't seem to have suffered significant losses in the assault, at least we don't get any reports of massacres like that of Runegate. Sure, the Bat would have annihilated much of the population, had its attack been successful, but it looks like the champions' battle between Harsaltar and the Red Emperor was the decisive event in the battle.

Another question is the number of slaves carried off from this assault, the way they were selected, and whether they disappeared forever or whether some managed to return. We do know that there was a great amount of plunder even for the King of Tarsh when the main effort in the assault was carried by Heartland forces.

Boldhome remains a large city in the occupation, suggesting an ongoing settlement. And by Sartarites, rather than a complete resettlement with Tarshites.

So what would the immediate experiences of civilians in that conquest have been?

The fact that the Emperor had been temporarily killed might have triggered reprisals from the occupiers. These might have been been cut short by someone eventually, once the 'lesson had been taught'.

Of course, anyone related to the royal family would have good reason to try to escape, particularly once the assassins begin combing the city. As would people like Kallyr or Hofstaring.

Way back in Wyrm's Footnotes (reprinted in Wyrms Footprints) there's a timeline that states that the population of Boldhome was slaughtered. In the latter it's on p.88: "Boldhome sacked, its temples profaned, and its people slaughtered. No member of the royal house is left alive in the land, though some flee south and some flee too Pavis."

Somehow I overlooked this: 

"The women, children, and old were sent out of the city over the rough mountains through secret paths, although many chose to remain and defend their city." KoS p.117

So my idea seems to be canonical... Considering that the Quivin mountains have wyrms and 'ice crawlers' according to the Gazetteer, the adventure pretty much writes itself... From the heights, no doubt the PCs can see the battle of the Crimson Bat and the dragon, and the burning of the city...

As for the 'old wizard' character, Dunorl Brandgorsson is a sprightly 52 at the time of the battle, and he is busy escaping with part of the regalia (no doubt having foreseen Boldhome's doom) and Yanioth Two-Sight and her 3 year old son may also be with the refugees ascending Quivin; her husband Maniski having stayed with the defenders.

Edited by jeffjerwin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

As for the 'old wizard' character, Dunorl Brandgorsson is a sprightly 52 at the time of the battle, and he is busy escaping with part of the regalia (no doubt having foreseen Boldhome's doom) and Yanioth Two-Sight and her 3 year old son may also be with the refugees ascending Quivin; her husband Maniski having stayed with the defenders.

Good way to get them involved in the colymar arc as well, thanks, I can use that myself. I think we got something, high five?

Cheers

You could have some real fun with this - the old family friend who turned out to be a lunar spy or worse, who uses their connections to help the escape.

Do you avenge yourself on the chaos worshipper who saved your life, for no reason other than genuine friendship?

• Like 2

I hope that you put in some entirely superficial and non-coercitive pseudo-structural elements drawn solely in an aesthetical manner from Carpenter's Escape from New York.

But it's a bloody good idea for a scenario !!

I've run something somewhat similar once, and provided you have a genuinely extensive understanding of the whole city and its quarters and suburbs and all its surroundings, including stuff like what's underground and what lives in the Storm and Mountains above, your players should end up being scared out of their wits from having F all idea on how to proceed outside of the scenario despite your providing them with every potential opportunity to do so.

I'd personally be likely to dump a short HeroQuest into the mix ...

• Like 3