Jump to content
MOB

RuneQuest : Aventures dans Glorantha launches on gameontabletop.com later this month!

Recommended Posts

1930598807_RQGFrenchEditioncopy.png.e9786e4baa22d9e34f4aa0461881de04.png

Contribute to funding the French version for RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha on June 15th, 8pm CEST, on www.gameontabletop.com.

Our friends at Studio Deadcrows are proud to offer those 3 products in Standard and Collector versions:

  • RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
  • RuneQuest: Glorantha Bestiary
  • RuneQuest: Gamemaster Screen Pack

These beauties will be encased in a glorious slipcase!

Thanks to this preorder campaign, Studio Deadcrows will also be adding exclusive French-created content (scenarios, art and lots of surprises…).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

Will the "exclusive French-created content (scenarios, art and lots of surprises…)." be at some point also be available in english?

Was the exclusive German-created content for RQ3 (Schatten in den Hügeln...) ever made available in English, or is there a chance that it may still be made available?

This is the second announcement of original content for a non-English adaptation, after the Swedish plans for Fronela. (And it's putting some pressure on other non-English editions, or at least their support groups... carefully avoiding mirror surfaces while writing this.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KIT DE LA MENEUSE
One of the things I am so pleased with the new French edition of RuneQuest is the title of the Gamemaster Pack - "Kit de la Meneuse". In the English edition of the rules, we refer to the Gamemaster as "she" and the Players as "he". There's a couple of reasons we did that:
1. It is useful to have different pronouns for players and gamemasters - having both be "she" or "he" gets confusing quickly.
2. The decision to use one pronoun or another is totally arbitrary. So why not use both. About half the world are "she" and about half the world are "he" (which doesn't add up to 100% of course). Many gaming groups (including my own) has women and men - so why not use both? 

Anyways, that is in English. But French is a more strongly gendered language, and so translating Gamemaster Pack into French gave Studio Deadcrows the option: le Meneur (mass.) or la Meneuse (fem.) They chose LA MENEUSE which I WHOLEHEARTEDLY support! 

So thank you Studio Deadcrows!!!!!

62089204_10218937257091210_6995108742735855616_o.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joerg said:

Was the exclusive German-created content for RQ3 (Schatten in den Hügeln...) ever made available in English, or is there a chance that it may still be made available?

This is the second announcement of original content for a non-English adaptation, after the Swedish plans for Fronela. (And it's putting some pressure on other non-English editions, or at least their support groups... carefully avoiding mirror surfaces while writing this.)

Hmmm, applied case of YGMV (in your language)😉

BTW, this whole situation could serve as (another) incentive to think about getting the Gloranthan equivalent of the Miskatonic Repository on the road...  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foolcat said:

Hmmm, applied case of YGMV (in your language)😉

Given today's news about Uhrwerk Verlag (the company who was about to publish the German RQG) going insolvent, the "applied" bit of the case might have become hypothetical for the time being.

 

1 hour ago, foolcat said:

BTW, this whole situation could serve as (another) incentive to think about getting the Gloranthan equivalent of the Miskatonic Repository on the road...  😎

This is slightly different, after all the contents we are talking about are proprietary by either the authors or the publishers of those languages, and unless Chaosium put something like an obligation to provide such material to something like an organized play library, there are licensin questions to be solved. So far I am lucky in that I should be able to read any localized product armed with a dictionary, but if it comes to a Spanish or Japanese version of RQG with homebrew material, I'd be relying on translations, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jeff said:

KIT DE LA MENEUSE
One of the things I am so pleased with the new French edition of RuneQuest is the title of the Gamemaster Pack - "Kit de la Meneuse". In the English edition of the rules, we refer to the Gamemaster as "she" and the Players as "he". There's a couple of reasons we did that:
1. It is useful to have different pronouns for players and gamemasters - having both be "she" or "he" gets confusing quickly.
2. The decision to use one pronoun or another is totally arbitrary. So why not use both. About half the world are "she" and about half the world are "he" (which doesn't add up to 100% of course). Many gaming groups (including my own) has women and men - so why not use both? 

Anyways, that is in English. But French is a more strongly gendered language, and so translating Gamemaster Pack into French gave Studio Deadcrows the option: le Meneur (mass.) or la Meneuse (fem.) They chose LA MENEUSE which I WHOLEHEARTEDLY support! 

So thank you Studio Deadcrows!!!!!

Really, it sounds a bit forced -- a more proper form for the Feminine would anyway have been "meneure de jeu" not "meneuse".

As you've suggested, it's a lot easier to do this sort of thing in English, because grammatical gender is so weak in the language.

And I'm slightly miffed about the main book's subtitle too ; an "Aventures en Glorantha" would IMO have been more elegant ; and BTW the more literary and literate translation. Still, the existing subtitle does work regardless, and it's not "wrong" as such.

I wish that I'd been available for translation work on this one, but I wasn't and still am not and oh well ...

The Quickstart rule book seems anyway to have been very well translated. 😎

Edited by Julian Lord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are excited that renowned French novelist, film director, and Eisner Award-winning comic book artist JOANN SFAR is contributing illustrations for the new French edition by Studio Deadcrows:

864082958_ScreenShot2019-06-11at12_15_20am.png.4a23dfd2c85b4044d5ddd8e5ae333791.png

D8tEkF2XUAE2OBA.thumb.jpg.41ab818e005f0ff416b81842a954108c.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 7:57 AM, Julian Lord said:

Really, it sounds a bit forced -- a more proper form for the Feminine would anyway have been "meneure de jeu" not "meneuse".

Meneuse is an actual french word and the proper feminine word for meneur (like danseuse is feminine for danseur and not danseure).

On 6/8/2019 at 7:57 AM, Julian Lord said:

And I'm slightly miffed about the main book's subtitle too ; an "Aventures en Glorantha" would IMO have been more elegant ; and BTW the more literary and literate translation.

I Agree.

Edited by Mugen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mugen said:

Meneuse is an actual french word and the proper feminine word for meneur (like danseuse is feminine for danseur and not danseure).

Meneure is an actual French word.

The grammar for -euse vs. -eure is a bit confusing, including because many of the words have been invented arbitrarily over the past 20-30 years. However, many of the decisions in the case of individual words have been made for reasons of euphony, and in this case, "meneuse" seems rather unattractive.

And : amateure, professeure, supérieure, etc ...

Not once since the 1970s have I ever heard a female GM referred to as a "meneuse de jeu" -- it just feels forced to me, as I said.

In football/soccer (about the women's section of the PSG) : "Si les Parisiennes ont autant mis en difficulté les Louves ce samedi, elles le doivent à leur meneure de jeu de poche. Shirley Cruz, qui avait cruellement manqué aux Bleu et Rouge face à l’Olymique Lyonnais en championnat"

If it's any help, -euse has a bit of a more verbal sense and -eure a more nominal one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Julian Lord said:

Meneure is an actual French word.

The grammar for -euse vs. -eure is a bit confusing, including because many of the words have been invented arbitrarily over the past 20-30 years. However, many of the decisions in the case of individual words have been made for reasons of euphony, and in this case, "meneuse" seems rather unattractive.

And : amateure, professeure, supérieure, etc ...

Not once since the 1970s have I ever heard a female GM referred to as a "meneuse de jeu" -- it just feels forced to me, as I said.

In football/soccer (about the women's section of the PSG) : "Si les Parisiennes ont autant mis en difficulté les Louves ce samedi, elles le doivent à leur meneure de jeu de poche. Shirley Cruz, qui avait cruellement manqué aux Bleu et Rouge face à l’Olymique Lyonnais en championnat"

If it's any help, -euse has a bit of a more verbal sense and -eure a more nominal one.

Well I for one am happy with the translation and it has MY full support. And if Game Mistress didn't sound like something from the BDSM scene, I'd use the phrase in English.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Julian Lord said:

Meneure is an actual French word.

The grammar for -euse vs. -eure is a bit confusing, including because many of the words have been invented arbitrarily over the past 20-30 years. However, many of the decisions in the case of individual words have been made for reasons of euphony, and in this case, "meneuse" seems rather unattractive.

And : amateure, professeure, supérieure, etc ...

Not once since the 1970s have I ever heard a female GM referred to as a "meneuse de jeu" -- it just feels forced to me, as I said.

In football/soccer (about the women's section of the PSG) : "Si les Parisiennes ont autant mis en difficulté les Louves ce samedi, elles le doivent à leur meneure de jeu de poche. Shirley Cruz, qui avait cruellement manqué aux Bleu et Rouge face à l’Olymique Lyonnais en championnat"

If it's any help, -euse has a bit of a more verbal sense and -eure a more nominal one.

Well, I never heard or read the word "meneure", but I can tell for sure that the lead female dancer in a cabaret is named a "meneuse de revue".

The dictionnaire de l'Académie Française (and all other online dictionaries I could find) also only mentions "meneuse" as the feminine of "meneur".

https://www.dictionnaire-academie.fr/article/A9M1688 

Edited by Mugen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeff said:

And if Game Mistress didn't sound like something from the BDSM scene, I'd use the phrase in English.

Sounds like a reason to actually use it :D   And more seriously, it will keep sounding like BDSM until it doesn't, after it's used in non-BDSM contexts long enough.... so what I'm saying is, someone's gotta start.

About the French title for the GM kit (and that's probably feedback we should send to Studio Deadcrows) it does sound a bit weird to me too, although it's not for the same reasons as @Julian Lord. The term "meneuse" seems OK to me -- I've never heard of "meneure", and the Larousse dictionary doesn't seem to know about it either. The problem to me is that the term "meneur/meneuse de jeu" is not very common AFAIK, I've always heard "maitre/maitresse de jeu" ("game master" instead of "game leader", basically). It's typical in French to just say "maitre" ("master") as a shortcut (the same way you say "GM" in English... although we also say "MJ" in a similar fashion). D&D/Pathfinder/etc. generally use that term for their French editions ("livre du maitre", as in "master's book", for instance). I think what Studio Deadcrows figured is that gender-swapping that term directly ("livre de la maitresse") sounds like "teacher's book", and decided to use "meneuse" instead. I would personally have gone with using the full title ("livre de la maitresse de jeu"), as that's what sounds more natural to me, but maybe there are also typographic considerations there (as it makes the title longer).

Either way, I'm glad to see a French edition with inclusive writing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mugen said:

Well, I never heard or read the word "meneure", but I can tell for sure that the lead female dancer in a cabaret is named a "meneuse de revue".

The dictionnaire de l'Académie Française (and all other online dictionaries I could find) also only mentions "meneuse" as the feminine of "meneur".

https://www.dictionnaire-academie.fr/article/A9M1688 

This is all getting terribly off-topic, so this will most likely be my last post about this -- the original meaning of "meneur" is "someone who leads a lady by the hand", in the sense of the English "leading in a dance", though it refers also to certain formal social circumstances. The meneuse de revue in that sense, i.e. the leading dancer in a cabaret, uses meneuse quite correctly.

Football however, in the sense of the leading player, uses meneure de jeu, which is a more recent feminised form of the word used in a more recent sense and a different definition.

I have like lordabdul BTW heard the term maîtresse de jeu ...

I'm still generally happy with the quality of the translation work that I've seen in the French version of the Quickstart book. :) These are quibbles only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lordabdul said:

The problem to me is that the term "meneur/meneuse de jeu" is not very common AFAIK, I've always heard "maitre/maitresse de jeu" ("game master" instead of "game leader", basically). It's typical in French to just say "maitre" ("master") as a shortcut (the same way you say "GM" in English... although we also say "MJ" in a similar fashion). D&D/Pathfinder/etc. generally use that term for their French editions ("livre du maitre", as in "master's book", for instance). I think what Studio Deadcrows figured is that gender-swapping that term directly ("livre de la maitresse") sounds like "teacher's book", and decided to use "meneuse" instead. I would personally have gone with using the full title ("livre de la maitresse de jeu"), as that's what sounds more natural to me, but maybe there are also typographic considerations there (as it makes the title longer).

"Meneur de jeu" is less common than "maître de jeu", but it's not completely new either. It has a "softer" meaning, as one can think that a "Maître de jeu" may be here to dictate other players' behavior.

In a way, "Meneur de Jeu" is between "Game Master" and the "referee" I've seen used in some english rpg books (which has never been translated into "arbitre", as far as I know).

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 6:38 PM, Jeff said:

And if Game Mistress didn't sound like something from the BDSM scene, I'd use the phrase in English.

Whereas Games Mistress sounds like a female PE (Physical Education) Teacher from the 60s and 70s.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 4:16 PM, MOB said:

We are excited that renowned French novelist, film director, and Eisner Award-winning comic book artist JOANN SFAR is contributing illustrations for the new French edition by Studio Deadcrows:

864082958_ScreenShot2019-06-11at12_15_20am.png.4a23dfd2c85b4044d5ddd8e5ae333791.png

 

One the one hand, I love the fact that Joann Sfar is involved in this, since I love his Dungeon! comic series and his cartoonish art.
However, I think he would make a much better comic artist for Glorantha as opposed to just a mere book illustrator. If there is the slighest chance that he might do even a short Gloranthan comic strip, that would be great!

 

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

One the one hand, I love the fact that Joann Sfar is involved in this, since I love his Dungeon! comic series and his cartoonish art.
However, I think he would make a much better comic artist for Glorantha as opposed to just a mere book illustrator. If there is the slighest chance that he might do even a short Gloranthan comic strip, that would be great!

 

Hear hear!

Donjon is really great, as is Rabbis's cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

One the one hand, I love the fact that Joann Sfar is involved in this, since I love his Dungeon! comic series and his cartoonish art.
However, I think he would make a much better comic artist for Glorantha as opposed to just a mere book illustrator. If there is the slighest chance that he might do even a short Gloranthan comic strip, that would be great!

 

Totally approve this. His style is more a comic's one and do not fit quite well in the RPG line. 
But a gloranthan comic from Sfar would be gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, Julian Lord said:

'm still generally happy with the quality of the translation work that I've seen in the French version of the Quickstart book. 

While I agree, I am worried because the two weapons fighting section (Combattre à deux armes p.20) translates the old uncorrected text. I hope they won't translate a text that has not been cleaned up of errata.

That one might be a bit more understandable because it is still not corrected in the english edition (but clarified on this board).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Jeff said:

Well I for one am happy with the translation and it has MY full support. And if Game Mistress didn't sound like something from the BDSM scene, I'd use the phrase in English.

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff... <sigh>

That's really just an egregiously kinky reading of the language.

 

"Mistress" here is clearly the Other WomanGame.  You'd use it when you were referring to your GM for your Tekumel campaign.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...