Other Cultures' Equivalent of Wyter

Sir_Godspeed

2 hours ago, Charles said:

My view is that Kolat and Orlanth are one.

My view is that Kolat is a spirit and Orlanth is a god and they are completely different.

Possibly it is better to do this as an in-Glorantha viewpoint. A random Orlanthi stickpicker will likely hold the viewpoint that they are completely different, while a disciple at Old Wind might admit that they are one.

Whereas a riddler will know that both are true, and must therefore be destroyed. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 3:42 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

No, I use the KOTOR 2 rules and the item creation is not only crunchy, it creates crunchy Jedi.... mmm.

Then you're doing it wrong.

A Jedi Doughnut is light&fluffy, with a thick & sickly-sweet interior.

Ich bin ein Berliner.

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 minutes ago, g33k said:

Ich bin ein Berliner.

Just imagine if JFK had been in Frankfurt when we made that speech...

(Putting on grey beard and adjusting it...)

For the curious, While in Berlin at the height o the cold war JFK said "Ich bin ein Berliner" Alas, it did not mean what he thought: an appeal to the citizens of Berlin by identifying as one. No, what he had said I am soft jelly filled confection, known in America as a Bismarck or jelly filled doughnut. Doh!

Mmm, Bismarck....

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

For the curious, While in Berlin at the height o the cold war JFK said "Ich bin ein Berliner" Alas, it did not mean what he thought: an appeal to the citizens of Berlin by identifying as one. No, what he had said I am soft jelly filled confection, known in America as a Bismarck or jelly filled doughnut. Doh!

Fiction which can be disproved by looking at Snopes.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-hole-truth/

Please stick with RuneQuest or Glorantha.

4 hours ago, metcalph said:

Fiction which can be disproved by looking at Snopes

(Placing his comic glasses on his face with his blue dyed beard (the comic glasses are much  like his smart looking glasses except they have a pair of eyeballs on 6 inch springs and rather large fuzz and  furry eyebrows). 

I still stand by the joke, I think it was funny.

Although i admit to be a bit perturbed at having to defend my sense of humour dressed like this. It is a bit less than dignified.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Although i admit to be a bit perturbed at having to defend my sense of humour dressed like this. It is a bit less than dignified.

When what you write looks less than a joke and more like a recital of a tiresome urban legend with zero relevance, then perhaps your sense of humour needs a fine-tune, no?   Also responding to a civil request with an insinuation that I am lacking a sense of humour is also poor form.

25 minutes ago, metcalph said:

When what you write looks less than a joke and more like a recital of a tiresome urban legend with zero relevance, then perhaps your sense of humour needs a fine-tune, no?   Also responding to a civil request with an insinuation that I am lacking a sense of humour is also poor form.

Hurriedly putting on beard and realizing it is the orange one he runs to a wardrobe and puts on his pink beard and floppy shoes, and hobo jacket. Sitting in front of a mirror he takes a couple of minutes to poorly apply (well, over apply) white make up. Putting a red rose in his lapel he admires the effect then replaces his funny glasses with his smart glasses (after all he is about to make a serious speech) realizes he needs a broad brimmed Heortlandi ™ hat to keep off the glare of the lights and give him not only one point of armour but a veneer of Glorantha authenticity (don't go out on the forums without it).

Striding purposely  to the podium he adjusts his smart glasses and promptly falls over his floppy shoes rolls to a stop at the feet of his debating opponent and raising a finger to the gods declares, 

"I disagree"

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Lets not go any further down this rabbit hole, please, jokes about donuts and Jedi have gone on a little too long regardless of the veracity of real world political references. I think we need a moderator to come along and delete most of the last 15 messages in this thread, including this one!

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Lets not go any further down this rabbit hole, please, jokes about donuts and Jedi have gone on a little too long regardless of the veracity of real world political references. I think we need a moderator to come along and delete most of the last 15 messages in this thread, including this one!

Done and agreed, this is too good a topic to  ruin. No offence intended, just misplaced humour.

Cheers

On 6/11/2019 at 4:33 AM, Joerg said:

Does each herd have a protector-spirit?  Is it like a wyter?  Or are they all faces of the Mother for that species of Herd-Beast?  Or ... ?

That's another border situation, especially with the Nomad Gods/Great Spirits situation in Prax. 

The Protectresses in Prax are responsible for the sum of all herds of one type (e.g. bison) rather than individual herds. Is there such an entity for the Uncoling reindeer or the Pralori deer? Orr herds of beasts without any (surviving) human relation?

For me, the Protectresses are responsible for all the herds of a particular Nation. However, each individual herd would, I think, have a wyter, or Protectoress spirit. It might be small, for a couple of animals, or larger, for a herd with thousands of animals, but would essentially perform the same task. The POW and magical ability of the two would be vastly different, a wyter of a tiny herd might just be able to warn them of danger and that's about it, whereas a larger one might provide magic to the herdsmen.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 4 weeks later...