Chinese edition of Call of Cthulhu announced

MOB

743422714_ScreenShot2019-06-10at10_08_56pm.png.e7a3a86f85d0a2f2b13fa52581f9bbaf.png

Big news at the Shanghai Wonder Festival this weekend! Chaosium licensees Arclight, publishers of the most popular tabletop roleplaying game in Japan - CALL OF CTHULHU - have announced the Chinese edition is coming. Plus, Japanese and Chinese versions of the MISKATONIC UNIVERSITY: THE RESTRICTED COLLECTION board game too!

https://www.chaosium.com/blogchinese-edition-of-call-of-cthulhu-and-miskatonic-university-board-game-announced

663993016_ScreenShot2019-06-10at9_44_46pm.png.23f285467f006d41cb5b4c9b064eb010.png 185207635_ScreenShot2019-06-10at9_44_19pm.png.0f2e772c86b635d4d05d7171e7f910be.png

Arclight are of course the publishers of the Japanese edition of Call of Cthulhu, the most popular tabletop roleplaying game in Japan

13 hours ago, seneschal said:

The Chinese just burned one of your licensed supplements and you are rewarding them with a full version of the game?  Hmmm.  If they did it to your licensee, they will do it to you.

Well it is a license holder doing business in Japan.   I would assume they are from Japan and have had dealings with the Chinese market before and are aware of the needed cultural sensitivities (read aware of the State censors).  The Sassoon Files took place in Colonial Shanghai and we will probably never know exactly what was considered against the States vision of history and culture. 

Of course I would have thought South Korea would have been a better expansion, but my opinion is not based on any real knowledge other than citizens in Japan and S. Korea enjoy a wider latitude of personal freedom than China.   It has been over 15 years since I have been in either country. 

3 hours ago, Spence said:

Of course I would have thought South Korea would have been a better expansion, but my opinion is not based on any real knowledge other than citizens in Japan and S. Korea enjoy a wider latitude of personal freedom than China.   It has been over 15 years since I have been in either country.   

Call of Cthulhu is already out in a Korean translation; its crowdfunding campaign was the biggest game-related crowdfunding campaign in Korea to date. The Korean publisher Dayspring recently crowdfunded Masks of Nyarlathotep to great success too: 

• Thanks 1