Sign in to follow this  
Merudo

Burn attacks against monsters with no luck?

How do burn attacks (flamethrower, molotov cocktail, etc) work against monsters?

According to the rules, the target must roll Luck to avoid catching on fire.

However, no monsters have a LUCK attribute in the manual. How do I know if the creature caught fire or not?

I'm not one of the designers, but I think the simple answer might be that Luck doesn't apply to Monsters. Period. So if a mechanic like Burn relies on Luck to avoid, the monster just suffers Burn. I don't know that this is correct, but it seems to fit the "kill it with fire" conventional wisdom of the game, and it is how I would rule it in my game.

Consider consulting this discussion (couldn't find an equivalent here at BRP): https://www.yog-sothoth.com/forums/topic/30368-burn-damage-7th-ed/

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

You can use the creature's dexterity or dodge instead of luck. Depending on the source of the fire, I would rule  that a hard or extreme success is required on this roll.  Or as klecser said - just roll with the automatic Bun on the creature.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 3:51 AM, Scott Dorward said:

With the flame weapons in The Two-Headed Serpent, we suggested that the player character should roll Luck to see if their target caught fire.

Great idea! I'll do that!