Tonight's the reschedule!

klecser

Hey everyone,

Tonight is my rescheduled first Runequest game as GM. I'll be running Cattle Raid for players experienced with 5E and Call of Cthulhu, but completely new to Runequest. This will be my first time running Runequest too.  I have lots of handout resources to make things run smoothly, and all character Spirit and Rune magic printed out for them so we can focus on fun and decision-making. I'll post a report with some photos and then get to making my last "I Make A Runequest Glorantha Character!" video!

@Bill the barbarian

Quick question: Quickstart says "Those moving up to half of their usual movement allowance may also participate in melee, cast a spell, etc."

If my move is 8, and I move 5 (5 SR), why can't I use my readied 6 SR weapon and attack on SR 11? 

Update: Reading the ridiculously detailed Strike Rank master document, it is clear that the answer is: "because that's the rule." ;)

Edited by klecser
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, klecser said:

Tonight is my rescheduled first Runequest game as GM. I'll be running Cattle Raid for players experienced with 5E and Call of Cthulhu, but completely new to Runequest. This will be my first time running Runequest too.  I have lots of handout resources to make things run smoothly, and all character Spirit and Rune magic printed out for them so we can focus on fun and decision-making. I'll post a report with some photos and then get to making my last "I Make A Runequest Glorantha Character!" video!

I hope it goes well.

Quick question: Quickstart says "Those moving up to half of their usual movement allowance may also participate in melee, cast a spell, etc."

If my move is 8, and I move 5 (5 SR), why can't I use my readied 6 SR weapon and attack on SR 11? 

Update: Reading the ridiculously detailed Strike Rank master document, it is clear that the answer is: "because that's the rule." ;)

If you don't like it, then house rule it so that it works how you want to. That's the point of house rules, if you say "I don't understand why this is the case" and don;t like the current rule, then change it.

Some people always play Rules as Written, but I pretty much never do.

Whatever makes your game fun and enjoyable should be celebrated. If you feel that someone with Move 8 who moves 5 should be able to attack on SR 11 then do it, it's what I allow. Nobody is going to kick down your door and drag you away screaming into the night because you change some RuneQuest rules.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

As it says on RQG p.194, "Any time two fighters meet in melee, no matter how long they’ve traveled to get to that meeting, strike rank should be figured out normally for them."

So I see no reason why you cannot do that. If the foe is already in melee, then add up your movement to reach him. But no actions on the foe's part should occur towards the newly arrived character until after the character arrives, SR's for the foe to act should be consistent with that of the character.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, klecser said:

It seems, RAW tend to simplify rather than complicate if given the choice. That is a sacrifice of gritty realism for ease. For example most SR mods are 5 so there is no difference twixt drawing dagger and drawing a great sword.

You. of course are welcome to use what charts you make or find to replace this with your preference. 

I deided to answer before reading the others and it is nice to see soltakss and I agree. Cheers!

35 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

As it says on RQG p.194, "Any time two fighters meet in melee, no matter how long they’ve traveled to get to that meeting, strike rank should be figured out normally for them."

RAW, for this to be relevant they both will have be moving. In the original post it is not clear if the opponent is also moving. Games varying and all...

5 hours ago, klecser said:

Now that's just silly. :)

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

54 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Whatever makes your game fun and enjoyable should be celebrated. If you feel that someone with Move 8 who moves 5 should be able to attack on SR 11 then do it, it's what I allow. Nobody is going to kick down your door and drag you away screaming into the night because you change some RuneQuest rules.

Uz police here, we've 'ad reports we 'ave. Come quietly, now that's a good Rune Lord...

<censored due to unseemly and gratuitous violence... see below>

Cheers

BANG, CRASH, POW! BOF! OOF!

*&&&^&*%$#^ *^^*( &*^%$SH !

OW!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, klecser said:

... Update: Reading the ridiculously detailed Strike Rank master document, it is clear that the answer is: "because that's the rule." ;)

1st off ... If any rule seems nonsensical or otherwise non-fun, then eliminate or HR it.  That is the Officially Correct Way to play RQ:  according to MGF over RAW.

That said, I'd pause before Just Doing It.

Moving up-to (but not more than) a "half move," and still get your full melee-round worth of attack, is a common RPG rule, IMHO for good reason.

It's sensible: given the notion that a full melee round is an abstraction that, if filmed, would consist of a series of feints, blocks, footwork, and sundry other bits of setting-up your attack without getting killed... if you have spent MORE THAN HALF the round moving, you cannot credibly perform those necessary bits of setting-up your blow.

This is the cut-off that many find reasonable; given the kinds of abstractions involved in a "melee round," the limit of "half-move" is popular.  Honestly... I personally find it over-generous (I think if you've moved as much as a half-move, it leaves you less build-an-attack time (barring a "charge" or a "move-by" or the like)).

One could instead have the unreasonable "you can fight OR move in a melee round, not both."

One could instead have the unreasonable "on any given round you may full-move and/or full-attack without any restriction or interplay between moving & attacking; you may do ALL available options."

One could instead have a realistic-ish (and very complex!) sliding scale of increasing movement causing increasing combat-penalties.

Or you could (as RQ does) simply allow partial-move-and-attack... and then must pick some degree of "partial move" that still allows an attack.

The thing about allowing that 5/8 move you propose, instead of stopping at 4/8 per the RAW:  why not allow 6/8?  Or 7/8?  Should everyone cut back to 3/8 instead?  Or even 2/8?  Which arbitrary abstraction do you pick?  Which is the most fun at your table (recalling that for some, the limits and the risks and the simulationism is part of the fun, and for others it's not).

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

The Strike Rank master document?

Written by @EpicureanDMhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/sqmq88ratu5s6go/Newcomer's Guide to Runequest's Strike Rank Combat v0.5.pdf?dl=0

And @g33k, I always appreciate your critical analysis!

I'll be doing a short write-up on how it went (spoiler: very well), but when we got to combat I ended up allowing move and attack. The decision was more a table-management one and I think when I explain what happened you'll see why I did it that way. Stay tuned.

And here's my report!

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, klecser said:

Is RAW, "read as written?"

MGF = Maximum Game Fun?

6 hours ago, Brootse said:

RAW = rules as written.

I will try to act my age and spell the word out in full in the future. Clarity can surely benefit from such a policy. Brootse, of course, is correct with rules as written.

Maximum Game Fun is correct and i promise to break my promise already. I will use MGF from now on (for my maximum fun, dammit!!). Apologies, but easy promised, easy...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

"RAW" is a broadly-used internet'ism for RPG's; most places I've seen, that delve into rules-analysis vs HRs (House Rules), use the RAW acronym.

"MGF" is something I've seen elsewhere, but not as much as I've seen it here on BRPCentral.  Sometimes I read it as "Maximum" sometimes as "More" -- after all, you're tuning your game to be More and More fun, it doesn't just MGF straight to infinity & beyond, does it?  I also sometimes (intentionally mis-)read "G" as "Gloranthan" when some very-Gloranthan element front-and-centers as the Fun!

fwiw & all that other stuff.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

"MGF" is something I've seen elsewhere, but not as much as I've seen it here on BRPCentral.  Sometimes I read it as "Maximum" sometimes as "More" -- after all, you're tuning your game to be More and More fun, it doesn't just MGF straight to infinity & beyond, does it?  I also sometimes (intentionally mis-)read "G" as "Gloranthan" when some very-Gloranthan element front-and-centers as the Fun!

I believe that MGF was coined by MOB for a game (a LARP) that used beer caps as randomizers in place of dice.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:20 PM, g33k said:

Moving up-to (but not more than) a "half move," and still get your full melee-round worth of attack, is a common RPG rule, IMHO for good reason

Everything you describe here makes sense to me, and that's actually how it works in GURPS (which is the system I'm most familiar with) : depending on whether you only take a step, move half your move, or move your full move, then you have different options for what it means about the quality (bonuses/penalties) of you attack and/or of your defense. Of course, GURPS can get quite crunchy if you apply many of its optional rules, but my point is that I might take a couple ideas from there and, indeed, apply them as house rules over the Strike Rank system... all the while realizing (as noted above) that RQG does tend to keep things relatively simple by making many SR mods and rules "fixed". I think RQG will be quite fun to house-rule around!

• Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

Everything you describe here makes sense to me, and that's actually how it works in GURPS (which is the system I'm most familiar with) : depending on whether you only take a step, move half your move, or move your full move, then you have different options for what it means about the quality (bonuses/penalties) of you attack and/or of your defense. ..

Oh yeah, you can definitely increase the simulationist crunch, if so inclined.

Personally, I don't want to increase the complexity that much; I don't want to get into yet more  bonii / penaltii  rules.

I may dial back to "less than half move" and still attack (unless a charge), just resetting the default breakpoint; same complexity.  I doubt my players will even notice, none are as rules-geeky as I.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Oh yeah, you can definitely increase the simulationist crunch, if so inclined.

Having played Alberta's own Chivalry and Sorcery (and enjoyed it) I can safely say I know my level of crunchiness and I thing Rule Master ;) might pass it. Love the idea, hate the tables. RQ 3 is nice...