Forum Tricks - It's magic innit?

soltakss

There have been some example recently where someone has asked how to do nifty tricks in the forums. Rather than having them spread out across lots of posts, it might be worth consolidating them in one thread.

These are inside spoilers because they are really Cult Secrets, so don't go passing them along to just anybody ...

Spoilers

The spoiler tags no longer work, so there is a much easier way of having spoilers, as found and implemented by Scotty.

Click on the eye button image.png.32363d279ba6c6edd1a87bc98202ec28.pngon the toolbar and it gives you a little spoiler box where you can type in your spoiler stuff.

image.png.72fb0cfc0ea7898a4862e8592db0d149.png

Linking to Posts on BRP Central

To get the link without the summary text, copy the URL of the thread in question, then click on the little chain icon, the 5th icon from the left, paste the link into the section marked link and you get this: 

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8203-crowdsourced-old-characters-and-1610s-family-history/. If you want some pretty text instead of the link, then type something in the Link text field, to get this: Crowdsourced Old Characters and 1610s Family History.

To get the link with the summary text, just copy the link and paste it into your post:

Summoning a BRP Central Member 

put a shift key number 2 or the @ before the user name that you wish to send a flag to alerting them of a need to looksee. This being a powerful rune spell, use with care, The summoned entity might be pissed at being interrupted and summoned frivolously!

Quoting small sections of a long post

Choose and select some text, ah this will do...now hover your cursor for the briefest of seconds and a black thick lined rectangle with the words Quote Selection will appear allowing you to click and quote just the relevant sentence of nose loper lore you seek from the 15 pages of nose loper goodness. Voila...

On 6/22/2019 at 6:24 PM, soltakss said:

someone has asked how to do nifty tricks in the forums

On 9/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

is that why we have no Rune font

Writing in Runes

Open up Word and choose the Rune Font. Write something in Runes. Use the Windows Snipping Tool to copy the section of Runic Text. Paste it into your post.   

image.png.7dc118e785f922b3c4ff9634e7fa97c3.png

image.png.6b0531260ae35cb5d3798aa8a9af76ad.png

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

How to put text in a spoiler.

OK, so what you do is use tags, specifically the spoiler tag. Within square brackets [] you put the word spoiler and then in another set of square brackets you put /spoiler.

So, misspelling so as not to have a spoiler, you put [spoileroo]This is a spoileroo[/spoileroo], but using spoiler instead of spoileroo.

There may well be a tag that means "Treat anything inside as text, in which case, I could have used that instead, but not sure what it is. In HTML Code does the trick and that seems to work, so ...

[spoiler]This is a spoileroo[/spoiler]

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

How to insert links to other threads on BRP Central.

To get the link without the summary text, copy the URL of the thread in question, then click on the little chain icon, the 5th icon from the left, paste the link into the section marked link and you get this: 

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8203-crowdsourced-old-characters-and-1610s-family-history/. If you want some pretty text instead of the link, then type something in the Link text field, to get this: Crowdsourced Old Characters and 1610s Family History.

To get the link with the summary text, just copy the link and paste it into your post:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

There have been some example recently where someone has asked how to do nifty tricks in the forums. Rather than having them spread out across lots of posts, it might be worth consolidating them in one thread.

Right on!
All we need now is to summon our favourite beetle breeder to ask him to pin this incredible forum soltakss, @Trifletraxor

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Oh, how did I do that one?

put a shift key number 2 or the @ before the user name that you wish to send a flag to alerting them of a need to looksee. This being a powerful rune spell, use with care, The summoned entity might be pissed at being interrupted and summoned frivolously!

Cheers

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brootse said:

Some forums have a feature where there is a button under posters' av that can be clicked to show all their posts in the thread you're reading. Would it be possible to get that feature in here too?

28 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Brootse, seeing as you are already familiar with this little trick what say you to featuring how to pull off this site magic in the Forum Tricks - Its Magic Innit thread here in the Inn?

4 minutes ago, Brootse said:

I think that it's done with a PHP function, so it needs to be coded. If you move your pointer on the arrow at the top right corner of a quote, you'll see the command that's passed to the server, ie. find the correct post in the correct thread. And if you move your pointer over someone's av, you'll see their user id. Using the thread and user ids you could make a button that shows a specific users posts in a specific thread. Most of the threads here are quite short, but there have been a few times when I've wanted to use it.

Well, @Trifletraxor will have to fix the php coding, but I figured I would do what I could and  move your hints here @Brootse

Cheers

On 9/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, Trifletraxor said:

BRP Central I running on a managed stock forum softwareso no custom coding possible I'm afraid. You can go to a members profile and see their last contributions but not specific to a single thread I'm afraid.

Question, o great beetle master. Is it an  effort to keep the actual tips pinned to the top of this topic page  and leave the comments to scroll on below? Saves searching though pages of comments to find the tips.

Or might that be on an order of difficulty equal to herding dung beetles?

Cheers

10 hours ago, Trifletraxor said:

Pinning posts isn't possible, only threads. The thread starter could edit his first post to include any new tips appearing later in the thread, but that does take some effort. Maybe a 24 on the 1-100 dung beetle herding scale.

ewww!

But doable. I could volunteer for that task, But how could we get people to check the 2nd post for edits. Or first post if @soltakss wants that task.

Cheers

13 hours ago, Trifletraxor said:

Pinning posts isn't possible, only threads. The thread starter could edit his first post to include any new tips appearing later in the thread, but that does take some effort. Maybe a 24 on the 1-100 dung beetle herding scale.

Not addressing this to Trif (cos he knows it of course) but giving supplementary data to others:  this is exactly what's happening here (and the OP does indeed keep editing/updating his post) :

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well, I tried, but it doesn't like multiple spoilers, as it seems to merge them into one spoiler. I might have to take the spoilers out, so everyone can see them.

• Thanks 1

This one isn’t a trick so much as an aspirin for poor old barbarians who are screaming at their screen...

NO!!!!!, do NOT quote 15 pages of prose, and all of the illustrations and movies that take forever to load.

well you get the drift (bringing everyone the entirety of the turgid piece of literature on the forgotten and unloved nose loper, that you are quoting and referencing one sentence from).

Old people are not pretty, hyperventelating old barbarians less so. So for my sake and everyones sense of propriety, lets learn how to quote just what ya want...

soltakss the quote below is just a test... ignore at will.

Choose and select some text, ah this will do...now hover your cursor for the briefest of seconds and a black thick lined rectangle with the words Quote Selection will appear allowing you to click and quote just the relevant sentence of nose loper lore you seek from the 15 pages of nose loper goodness. Voila...

On 6/22/2019 at 11:24 AM, soltakss said:

someone has asked how to do nifty tricks in the forums

Thanks soltakss, take a bow.

Cheers

On 9/8/2019 at 9:44 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

i assume you are taking up this quest

Quest completed, for the time being, with a new one added ...

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Puckohue said:

Is there a way for me to make private notes on users, for my own reference?

Maybe have a Private Blog and update it? If that is possible.

You could have a Thread entitled "Private Notes on Users - Nobody Read!" and put your comments in Spoilers, with white text on a white background.

Alternatively, ask Triff to set you up a Private Forum for you to post in and don't give anyone the Password. Although, best share it with me, just in case you forget it, I could do with a laugh.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Puckohue said:

Is there a way for me to make private notes on users, for my own reference?

Is there any reason it really has to be here on BRPC?

Couldn't you get almost the same functionality from (e.g.) an online/cloud document or spreadsheet or whatever?

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Is there any reason it really has to be here on BRPC?

It would take a level of insanity I'm not at (yet) to keep it somewhere else. I'd just like a quick way to see if I've made a private note about a user. It's not so important that I want to start a whole documentation project. :)