Celibacy, Christian Church vs. Women

Joerg

My understanding is that the way Fate Points work are basically an attempt to solve the problem of more traditional point-based flaw systems. When you get points at character creation for taking a "Arachnophobia" flaw, it's usually a set amount of points vaguely based on the world. Later, in play, it may have been overpriced (because there are barely any spiders in this world or in this particular campaign), or underpriced (the whole campaign is based on fighting the Queen Of Spiders). If, instead, you "get the points" based on the "effective annoyance" of having this flaw, it's arguably more "fair". As such, it's not really metagaming, it's just a game mechanic that differs from other games' mechanics because it tries to be a better mechanic. So if a character has a celibacy flaw/geas/etc., based on the game mechanics and the world and the particular campaign, it may or may not be a big deal.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

20 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

My understanding is that the way Fate Points work are basically an attempt to solve the problem of more traditional point-based flaw systems. When you get points at character creation for taking a "Arachnophobia" flaw, it's usually a set amount of points vaguely based on the world. Later, in play, it may have been overpriced (because there are barely any spiders in this world or in this particular campaign), or underpriced (the whole campaign is based on fighting the Queen Of Spiders). If, instead, you "get the points" based on the "effective annoyance" of having this flaw, it's arguably more "fair". As such, it's not really metagaming, it's just a game mechanic that differs from other games' mechanics because it tries to be a better mechanic. So if a character has a celibacy flaw/geas/etc., based on the game mechanics and the world and the particular campaign, it may or may not be a big deal.

In a way, it's telling the GM what kind of conflicts you are interested in, as well. Like "these are the conflicts at the centre of this character, that define her struggles": her chastity for Yelorna, her love of her family, her obsession with knowledge, her childhood trauma that she needs to overcome (i mean, a giant spider ate her family!).

and those can change and evolve, as well. they aren't set in stone and can be adjusted or rewritten for character advancement.

"Someone remove those spider webs, or I cannot enter this room!" Player-called arachnophobia. Probably not worth a fate point, unless the party is fleeing from something bad. And in that case, the party suffers a disadvantage (or leaves the arachnophobe behind).

At least, this is how I have seen and experienced fate points in play in FATE.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

"Someone remove those spider webs, or I cannot enter this room!" Player-called arachnophobia. Probably not worth a fate point, unless the party is fleeing from something bad. And in that case, the party suffers a disadvantage (or leaves the arachnophobe behind).

At least, this is how I have seen and experienced fate points in play in FATE.

@Joerg But that was wrong, or at least how you recounted it was not correct. That isn't how it works.

If you want to receive Fate points, you need to receive a hostile Invoke or Compel. https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/invoking-compelling-aspects

If you propose a decision-based compel for your character to the [GM], then what you’re basically asking is for something you’re about to do to go wrong somehow. You don’t even have to have a complication in mind—simply signaling the [GM] should be enough to start a conversation. [GM]s, as long as the compel isn’t weak (as in, as long as there’s a good, juicy complication), you should go with this. If the compel is weak, poll the rest of the group for ideas until something more substantial sticks.

Basically, if the player says that, they're asking (in character) if the DM wants them to be ambushed by giant spiders. Or something. If the DM is quick on her feet and thinks this is a great moment to totally screw the party, and also the poor player has been burning Fate points all night, then maybe she says, menacingly, sliding a Fate point, "it's true that the webs are really thick here..." and the party realises their fellow player has just thrown them to the wolves. Or spiders, as it may be.

Or maybe she says, "Gretchen, there's no spiderwebs, but don't worry, you'll get Fate points soon enough."

Edited by Qizilbashwoman