Major Wound & Monsters

Merudo

Do Mythos Monsters & other supernatural creatures take Major Wounds?

I noticed two monsters make explicit use of Major Wounds (the zombie & the werewolf). What about the rest?

A critical hit with a shotgun can do 24 damage, which is over the Major Wound limit of most monsters. Should they fall prone, and/or have a chance to become unconscious?

Edited by Merudo

The rules are straightforward in my mind when regarding major wounds, they describe only the characters receiving them and a couple times where monsters explicitly receive them. The killing monsters section on page 282 makes me believe that monsters don't usually suffer major wounds being "strange and alien beings", and "Some monsters (when reduced to unconsciousness or zero hit points) may appear to be dead, only to rise again moments or hours later to inflict a grisly revenge on their attackers." This is also how it looks in the movies - people just keep shooting bits off it (the monster), but it just keeps coming until the last moment where it falls over (hopefully dead).

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

I use the Major Wound rules for humans (cultists, etc.) and other real-world creatures, and tend to ignore them for otherworldly horrors.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

On 6/27/2019 at 12:13 PM, David Scott said:

The rules are straightforward in my mind when regarding major wounds, they describe only the characters receiving them

CoC 7e p.125 reads: "The standard rules already allow for a target to be knocked unconscious: when an attack inflicts a Major Wound (an amount of damage equal to or greater than half the target’s hit points), the target must make a CON roll to remain conscious. Also a target that is reduced to zero hit points will fall unconscious automatically."

The p.282 section your quoted seems to corroborate that monsters use these unconsciousness rules: "Some monsters (when reduced to unconsciousness or zero hit points) may appear to be dead, only to rise again moments or hours later"

Edited by mvincent

9 hours ago, mvincent said:

CoC 7e p.125 reads: "The standard rules already allow for a target to be knocked unconscious: when an attack inflicts a Major Wound (an amount of damage equal to or greater than half the target’s hit points), the target must make a CON roll to remain conscious. Also a target that is reduced to zero hit points will fall unconscious automatically."

I'm slowly reading through the rules and had missed that line. I was going on what the Major Wound section says on page 120:

A Major Wound results when an attack delivers an amount of damage equal to or greater than half of the character’s maximum hit points in a single attack. A character that has received a major wound may die if their current hit points are reduced to zero.

The inconsistency of the wording allows for different interpretations: character vs target.

9 hours ago, mvincent said:

The p.282 section your quoted seems to corroborate that monsters use these unconsciousness rules: "Some monsters (when reduced to unconsciousness or zero hit points) may appear to be dead, only to rise again moments or hours later"

not reached that section yet 🙂

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 hours ago, David Scott said:

not reached that section yet 🙂

But I was referencing your quote. The section alludes to non-zero HP monsters being reduced to unconsciousness, which would make one wonder how to do that without the major-wound unconsciousness rule?

Also note: use of the term "Character" does not necessarily denote a semantic intent to treat PC's differently from foes, especially since NPC's (like Nyarlathotep, Mr. Shiney, etc.) are semantically Characters too.

Edited by mvincent