Temple of the Wooden Sword

HreshtIronBorne

Does anyone know if Londra and any of her retinue go with Leika into Snakepipe Hollow on any/either of her trips if she made more than one? I had to ask as I don't see it actually spelled out that I could see nor do I know why I am thinking she may have... it may have been listed in an article I read but might not have been an action of the Temple of the Wooden Sword?

• Skirmish at Wind Temple – seems they went to Sazdorf the day after this and were welcomed
  • The Wooden Sword in Dorastor
  • Snakepipe Hollow
  • Quest to the Wounding of Arroin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone know if Londra and any of her retinue go with Leika into Snakepipe Hollow on any/either of her trips if she made more than one?

Londra was not on Leika's Crown Test.  That was spelled out in WF14, pg.8: "Leika chose to be accompanied by these people: Asborn Demonslayer, favored by Orlanth, also called Asborn Thriceborn; Hollybright and Hurtis, Chalana Arroy healers of the Colymar; and Razkin, Orlanthi warrior and guardian of the healers."

But on the same page, Leika did accompany the Wooden Sword on an earlier expedition to Snakepipe Hollow: "Leika, granddaughter of Londros and heir to the Colymar Tribe of Sartar, had earned the surname of Ballista when she accompanied the Wooden Sword Humakti into the caves of chaos deep within Snakepipe Hollow."

IIRC, this issue was the first mention of Leika so I think we can reasonably figure that was the main event where the two journeyed together.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Blueboy

Does anyone have thoughts on who "Blueboy" was or anything about him? Thinking to work him in as a PC and wouldn't that be fun!

In another thread there was discussion as to the child of Errol "NISELDA, the Invisible Child; daughter to Alebard and Errol Silksword, born this battle." and I spotted Blueboy which of course raises the who, what, why, where, when and how questions...

Londra of Londros, new priestess to the war god; Naimless, cousin to Londra; Taksag the Outlaw, faithful troll initiate; Edward the Noble, a foreigner and new convert; Tamara Three-chop, Sword wielder; Blueboy, a mere child who gained his name that day; Alebard, called the Weak for he had little fighting stomach; Eril Silksword, once thief new bride to Alebard. Also accompanying the Humakti were some loyal friends: Urrrggh the Ugly, mounted on his massive horse; Geanvieve and Mae Bell, both healers; Mist-on-the-Dawn, friendly centaur.

Edited by Erol of Backford

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone have thoughts on who "Blueboy" was or anything about him? Thinking to work him in as a PC and wouldn't that be fun!

Aside from the reference that he was one of the Humakti who helped carry the Wooden Sword into the Sazdorf hall, I don't think there is any other mention of him.  Could have been a one-time character in Greg's campaign.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Did Naimless die in the House Campaign? I didn't see this before (see link and quote below), I thought she was still around in 1625, didn't the House Campaign stop before then?

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/wp-content/uploads/www.glorantha.com-forums/www.glorantha.com/forums/topic/henders-ruins-myth-and-history/

December 21, 2013 at 6:07 pm#6501 J Michael Dawson Spectator

Quote from Simon Phipp on December 11, 2013, 23:23
There’s a powerful undead creature there as well, as a Humakti was turned into a wraith according to one of the RQ2 travelogues. I don’t recall any mention of an undead creature. Just that Alain’s ghost was around. I always figured that the WAY Naimless died was so awful that regardless of his runic affiliation he became a ghost to seek revenge.

14 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Did Naimless die in the House Campaign? I didn't see this before (see link and quote below), I thought she was still around in 1625, didn't the House Campaign stop before then?

I don't recall ever seeing that Naimless died anywhere. She appears as the Colymar tribal champion in the RQG Gamemaster pack which is 1625.

In Cults of Prax, Naimless defeats Alain in a duel, but she is not mentioned after that - it's only Alain's ghost that plagues the healer.

She's also noted in Sartar Companion, p.34: "Nameless was a member of the Humakti Battalion of the Wooden Sword led by her (former) kinswoman Londra of Londros. She fought alongside Kangarl at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious and when he became tribal king, she became Tribal Champion for the whole Colymar Tribe."

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 3:58 AM, Erol of Backford said:

I didn't think so either but was strange to see it posted as such by Mr. Phipp back in 2013, unless I misunderstood nevertheless...

Probably a typo, I meant the way Alain died was horrible, which is why he became undead.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Did Alain die in Sog Ruins?

Cults of Prax (p.66) says

"Eye-whisper said he detected the ragged ghost of Alain, sword of Humakt, plaguing the consciousness of the healer. I recalled that Humakti had prepared an expedition
against broos active in the Sog's Ruins."

He was organising an expedition there, which was the cause of his duel with Naimless. While it's not explicitly stated in CoP that he died in Sog's Ruins, still proceeding with his expedition after losing the duel, it's a reasonable conclusion

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soltakss said:

I meant the way Alain died was horrible

Inquiry minds would like to know more!? Is there a campaign log somewhere? Thanks either way.

7 hours ago, DrGoth said:

While it's not explicitly stated in CoP that he died in Sog's Ruins, still proceeding with his expedition after losing the duel, it's a reasonable conclusion

We figured as much but thought someone on this forum actually played portions of the write up and was looking to the Hose Campaign Members to fill in the details or link a log of some sorts. We dabbled in fitting out Sog Ruins a bit and wanted to see if there was more on it. Thanks!

From Sartar Companion

Nameless the Humakti - This Humakti gave up her name when she devoted herself to Death and War. She has taken many gifts and geases – her most famous is her oath to
kill anyone who demands to know her name (hence most call her “Nameless”). She is always drawn into every conflict and is a terrible enemy of Life. Nameless was a member of the Humakti Battalion of the Wooden Sword led by her (former) kinswoman Londra of Londros. She fought alongside Kangharl at the Hill of Orlanth Victorious and when
he became tribal king, she became Tribal Champion for the whole Colymar Tribe.

I had to add this:

image.png.e355a1484afc33b47c0c9821b96ab096.png So old friend of Londra, Lagor is given the sword (Masters of Luck & Death p.15) he must be a Sword of Humakt by this time but why would Enfrew go and give the Wooden Sword to a troll of all creatures? To fight ZZ? 

Curious if anyone named the Wooden Sword or if its name is known?

What year is Masters of Luck & Death? 1616 but being 2 years later, 1617 if this 2 years is after the Temple was disbanded by Londra or 1618 maybe if 2 years after the tournament?

Is it possible that one of the trolls that was Naimless' bodyfriend was Lagor and even was at Tourney Altar when she dueled?  Will add this to other thread...

• 4 weeks later...

Just posting the link for Londra from the Well of Daliath:

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/personalities-of-glorantha/personalities-of-glorantha-londra-of-londros/

Also some of Jaja's notes from another thread:

Best source for the founding of the temple is the RQ Classic Trollpak, pp.53-55.  This is in 1611, and includes the establishment of the temple in the Sazdorf caves.

WF #12 provides information on the Skirmish at the Wind Temple.

Sartar Companion, p76-77, discusses Londra of Londros and the Wooden Sword, and mentions the dissolution of the temple in 1615.

WF #14, p.7 notes that Leika accompanied the Wooden Sword battalion to Snakepipe Hollow and was where she gained the surname Ballista.  This happened before her crown test in 1615 when she returned to Snakepipe Hollow.

From the House Campaign, thought of interest:

Alwine, finding the thought of enslavement unpalatable, asked if he could duel for his freedom. To his surprise, the foreigners agreed, but that if he lost he was bound to their service for as long as they decreed. Unfortunately, Alwine Hrale died of wounds sustained in the duel, leaving the Wooden Sword without a cook.

Then the dinosaur attacked her again, and bit her in half again. As it swung to the attack, Naimless cast Sever Spirit at it and slew it but it still chomped her. This time she used her own POW and sprang back to life, but she was weak and her POW was 3. (back then Humakti could come back to life)

Bagtrap was a Sartar tribesman who had been a part of the Temple of the Wooden Sword during its heyday, and at first seemed a notable warrior. But after the temple attacked the Isle of the Dead and failed, Bagtrap had acted stranger and stranger, sometimes showing the greatest lack of discretion. Eaten by Bronze Dragon. Bagtrap's Trail/Pass - what year was it named 1617? 1618? note upper right corner of map clip below...

From Wyrm's Footnotes 12: SKIRMISH AT THE WIND TEMPLE - The next morning they went to the Sazdorf tribe, and there received (was spelled wrong in 1981 zine - spellcheck wasn't as slick!?) a most welcome greeting from the trolls. In the temple of the Wooden Sword they met the 'old man' who had given them the sword, and who explained that he was there to temporarily offer his body (in rotation) to the spirits of the three warriors slain in the founding of the temple. He explained that he had been preaching to the trolls who would listen, and that many were prepared to convert themselves to the worship of Humakt. I wonder who the three warriors were? Also note Asborn Fourborn was only twice born at this time...

image.png.b78d5d06e32d0b49b2ec3588711e49b2.png

• 4 weeks later...

So what was Naimless' actual name, assuming the PC's meet her in Londros before she is an Initiate of Humakt?

Gertrude? Did anyone in the House Campaign actually know or did Naimless start as an initiate and part of her character was to have no name when she was created?

Also is anyone able to confirm that she is seven or there about's years older than Londra?

On 4/17/2023 at 11:39 PM, Erol of Backford said:

In the temple of the Wooden Sword they met the 'old man' who had given them the sword, and who explained that he was there to temporarily offer his body (in rotation) to the spirits of the three warriors slain in the founding of the temple.

On 4/17/2023 at 11:39 PM, Erol of Backford said:

I wonder who the three warriors were?

Hindelics, troll initiate, KIA

Bokaz, troll initiate, KIA, former ZZ

Zaret, troll initiate, KIA

2 human initiates and a few lay Members were also killed when the temple was founded....

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So what was Naimless' actual name, assuming the PC's meet her in Londros before she is an Initiate of Humakt?

Sorry, you've asked the question for which she must now fight you! Better get your sword training in quick! 😉 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

you've asked the question for which she must now fight you

So it is Gertrude, thanks again Jaja!

11 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

That sounds more Oakfed.

16 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

2 human initiates and a few lay Members were also killed when the temple was founded....

Not Oakfed!

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2023 at 4:25 AM, Erol of Backford said:

It is more likely to be an in-joke regarding how awful people are at naming their PCs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 5/16/2023 at 11:25 PM, Erol of Backford said:

she severed her name; it's her personal cut. they won't know (I guess the players at the table might know and share it)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

It is more likely to be an in-joke regarding how awful people are at naming their PCs.

That was my impression as well. The fact that spelling of the "name" has varied between Nameless and Naimless seems to support your interpretation.