Discussion about battle skill

Luxus

On 6/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, albinoboo said:

The Cannon Cult, if the Cannon Cult is still cannon (been waiting for years for an excuse for that, sorry)

You could have just started a thread about it!

(Btw - 'cannon' is a weapon, 'canon' is the agreement - if you weren't aware.. but you could have been punning)

On 6/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, albinoboo said:

I think it is important to remember that the battlefield is full of magic not just weapons. If you get hit by disruption 4 your armour won't matter. What armour is going to protect you from the Crater Makers, The Crimson Bat or The Cannon Cult, if the Cannon Cult is still cannon (been waiting for years for an excuse for that, sorry). Fundamentally is up to the GM to make the battle roll into an event. Say something like:

We formed the shieldwall, we sang the paean to Orlanth the Victorious. The armies  voices raised as one until we heard the the thunder of Orlanth in our hearts. 

Now ask for the battles roll from each PC. The GM must describe the result in terms of the outcome of the battle that they want. So a successful battle roll for a PC on the winning side  would tell how they broke the Lunar line, a failed roll would describe the wound happening while the Lunar line broke. A successful roll on the losing side would mean an ordered retreat, an unsuccessful roll would means a wound in the rout and playing dead on the battlefield.  

Personally, I'd like to see the Battle skill also allow adjustment from other skills (or at least, skill levels).

The example in the book says that GMs should make their own adjustments - and the 2-1 outnumbered farmers with little equipment manages to take out the fully equipped and experienced Lunar army... by making the GM give a 40% adjustment to the roll.

In the upcoming GM's book, I'd like to see something about how to make such adjustments based on individual's and company's abilities... eg, Harrek adds 200% to your Battle skill for arranging the combat. Local Knowledge adds % (because you know about the swampy turf, but the Lunar cavalry doesn't). etc etc.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:32 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Personally, I'd like to see the Battle skill also allow adjustment from other skills (or at least, skill levels).

You can probably already augment Battle skill rolls with passions and runes and such. But yes, I started working on some house rules to make this all crunchier.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

You can probably already augment Battle skill rolls with passions and runes and such.

Yes, correct you can. No different from other skills there.

When I ran the Battle of the Queens, I also rolled Battle results for Kallyr and later Leika with the resultant penalty and/or bonus cascading down to the players Battle roll. They were after all caught up in the decisions made by the commanders.

• Like 2