"For a long time I have wished to do a picture of a female warrior, who actually looks like one." RUNEQUEST GLORANTHA art by Ossi Hiekkala

MOB

3 hours ago, dracopticon said:

. And the most important part for me, is that this is a painting portraying a real woman fighter - totally free of the irritating tradition of boob plate!

//Erik.

But surely the classic Red Sonja chainmail bikini derives its armor rating from its distraction value.

”I’ll carve up your guts —whoa Momma!” 

10 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Superb. Is this work going to be used in an upcoming RuneQuest product? 

Yes. Hence posting it here in the RQ forum too.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Julian Lord said:

Thank you for this lovely comment.

Always good to take the high road.  Folks, though we might disagree with Julian's opinion (I do, but I am sure he does not mind) I am also sure that attacking him personally is not needed.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 6/29/2019 at 3:44 AM, M Helsdon said:

equip.jpg

kit.jpg

Thank you @M Helsdon for these.

Do you have the dates these photos were taken? New Republic? Old Republic? Or where? I don't see any insignia. (Any chance you have more photos of the entire legion? That would help... I do presume that the photographer wouldn't be allowed near the commander's tent... )

12 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Do you have the dates these photos were taken? New Republic? Old Republic? Or where? I don't see any insignia. (Any chance you have more photos of the entire legion? That would help... I do presume that the photographer wouldn't be allowed near the commander's tent... )

The style of carrying gear using a T-shaped furca would be any time after Marius' reforms (resulting in legionaries being referred to as Marius' Mules).  The method of carrying items, however, is likely to be much much older, and so very valid for the RQ illustration.

The style of the Lorica segmentata suggests somewhere in the first or second centuries AD (the basic form was in use from the early imperial period onward - possibly earlier). [One thing that is strikingly wrong in the re-enactors' gear is the bright dyes of their tunics, as most dyes of the period (unless they were very very expensive) rapidly dulled.]

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:48 PM, MOB said:

Yes. Hence posting it here in the RQ forum too.

Hmmm.

Can you reveal which product, perchance?  Or were you specifically not mentioning that?  😉

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The style of carrying gear using a T-shaped furca would be any time after Marius' reforms (resulting in legionaries being referred to as Marius' Mules).  The method of carrying items, however, is likely to be much much older, and so very valid for the RQ illustration.

So a method that keeps the spear/javelin free from that load then.

29 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

I hate that picture. Donald Duck has no place in my Glorantha!

AFAIK it was Howard rather than Daffy or Donald.

Ducks have been part of published Glorantha since the beginning, as have manticores. I would see the manticore (at least as a beastman species) go before eliminating the ducks.

I guess I like to loathe them (in Glorantha).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

A gold-headed spear that stays perfectly rigid when used as an oversized bindle? In the Zola Fel valley?

She totally punked a Sun Domer. I'm thinking she wrestled him for it after he said something chauvanistic.

Edited by JonL
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonL said:

A gold-headed spear that stays perfectly rigid when used as an oversized bindle? In the Zola Fell valley?

Nope, that's well-maintained bronze, just like her axe or the duck's sword. The cuirass appears to be hard leather or cuirboulli.

As to the load the spear carries - helmet and pot about 2 kg each, bed roll another 1 kg, water gourds between 0.5 and 6 kg depending on how much she already used.

The pot might be so big in order to cook broth to be carried in the large gourd, as a liquid meal.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

41 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Nope, that's well-maintained bronze, just like her axe or the duck's sword. The cuirass appears to be hard leather or cuirboulli.

To my formerly-a-professional-printer's eye, the helms, the Duck's sword, the shovel head, and the axe-head all have a lot more red in them than the spear-head does.

Backing that up: here are some color samples taken  from highlights in the spear-head vs highlights on the Duck's sword, both of which are facing the Sun in their respective frames: 

gvb.PNG

Edited by JonL

5 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I hate that picture. Donald Duck has no place in my Glorantha!

She's clearly hunting him down for public indecency, ie no pants.

So many ducks think that's just something everyone will just "be cool" with.

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

As to the load the spear carries - helmet and pot about 2 kg each, bed roll another 1 kg, water gourds between 0.5 and 6 kg depending on how much she already used.

The pot might be so big in order to cook broth to be carried in the large gourd, as a liquid meal.

Not to mention the spear's not carrying the load.  When you carry a load like that, much of the weight is largely on the back/shoulder.

I still really like that picture.  She's the epitome of a real warrior woman to me - strong, scuffed, sweaty and looking a little worn, and yet obviously feminine.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, styopa said:

Not to mention the spear's not carrying the load.  When you carry a load like that, much of the weight is largely on the back/shoulder.

I still really like that picture.  She's the epitome of a real warrior woman to me - strong, scuffed, sweaty and looking a little worn, and yet obviously feminine.

The pot and helmet are probably weighing the spear down at that angle. They are too far out and the angle is too horizontal for the weight to just transfer seamlessly in a semi-vertical fashion. It's fine though, it's not a huge deal.

I do like that they gave her proper proportions. Her arms are buff, but not "body-builder"-toned, because those are working muscles, not the idealized, aesthetisized muscled of a BB model who's been dehydrating themsleves to gain definition. It's also relaxed.

Same for her gut. Obviously the plate is hiding the interior, but the impression that we get across is of a fairly bulky waist, that of someone with a lot of core strength, and the kind of muscle mass built up from, again, working muscles rather than idealized "amazonian" narrow waists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I do like that they gave her proper proportions. Her arms are buff, but not "body-builder"-toned, because those are working muscles, not the idealized, aesthetisized muscled of a BB model who's been dehydrating themsleves to gain definition. It's also relaxed.

Agreed!  Though, to be fair, there's a wide variety of "working physiques."  Working with track & field athletes, for instance, there are the throwers.  Discus and, especially, javelin throwers tend more toward your classic V-chested, narrow-waisted Greek warrior physiques.  But the shot put and hammer?  They're barrels, with a solid low-to-middle center of gravity, like our Vingan here, or the Rune Lord on RQG p.266.

Definition?  That's for runners, especially LD.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

23 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

But definition?  That's for runners, especially LD.

Classic form-follows-function.  Muscle to propel you... Any extra weight is only a detriment.  Pretty much the definition of "definition."  😁

Not just "doubly true" but exponentially true for LD runners.  They want mostly the high-endurance long-fiber musculature, and as little body-fat as they can carry and still be healthy-enough to compete.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig