"For a long time I have wished to do a picture of a female warrior, who actually looks like one." RUNEQUEST GLORANTHA art by Ossi Hiekkala

MOB

6 hours ago, g33k said:

Axe Orlanthi (spear and axe are their preferred weapons)?  Ernaldori-gone-Vingan?

Or just unusual... "not in the usual model" IS the usual model for PC's after all...

Back story.

I imagine that while there will be women who tend towards violence from a younger age (and men!!), I generally presume there's a reason people turn to the more martial pursuits.

In this case, she may have been a daughter to a forester, or even just a farmer, and was used to using an axe from childhood.

(Of all the weapons available, the sword really is the only purely martial one out there, with really only one use - killing something in combat. Most (all) other weapons are based on tools (a spear being a hunting tool))

On 7/3/2019 at 1:43 AM, seneschal said:

Once saw a real Roman helmet in a museum.  It was tiny!  Because of diet and nutrition, the tough guys of yore were as tall as a modern 8 to 10-year-old child.  It is entirely possible our brawny female soldier is only 4 or so feet tall.

Modern Western men of average height have difficulties holding Indian swords from the 18th and 19th century, due to the hilts being so small that your hand doesn't even fit.

Edited by Akhôrahil

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Modern Western men of average height have difficulties holding Indian swords from the 18th and 19th century, due to the hilts being so small that your hand doesn't even fit.

True, but with the exception of some black Africans with more Neanderthal DNA than others (the Masai spring to mind), ethnically the Westerners/Caucasians are the biggest humans on the planet, particularly those with the least admixture with the "Old Europeans".

Modern Indians are smaller than Modern Westerners too.

Oh, God, please no.  Not comparative ethnography*, too.

Image result for barfy emoji

!i!

[*Yes, yes, "comparative anatomy," though what I really meant was "racial typology".  Carry on!]

Edited by Ian Absentia
Clarity, as usual

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

5 minutes ago, Julian Lord said:

I find personal attacks to be rather unpleasant but YMMV

It was a legitimate comment that this thread has drifted into irrelevant real-world examples - I don't see any personal attack intended within.

I'd simply request all to return to the thread topic.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm surprised by how tat-free she appears to be (although that could be my eyes).

Both hands (Air, Movement)

Right Shoulder (elaborate & complex, maybe multiple? "Sartar" rune appears part of it).

Left shoulder not visible

Torso not visible.

Also a bit surprised none on legs or face.

C'es ne pas un .sig

As an illustrator for RPGs, I am glad I've not had the honor of illustrating for RQ, after reading this thread. 

Wakboth forbid the curvature of a stressed spear in one of my pieces is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

Portfolio at www.juanochoa.co

On 7/4/2019 at 7:15 AM, Akhôrahil said:

I held the actual sword of Roger II of Sicily, and my pinky finger wouldn't fit (I'm 6'4") the grip at all.  It was only about 20" blade and extremely light, almost felt more like exaggerated cutlery than a combat sword.

20 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It was a legitimate comment that this thread has drifted into irrelevant real-world examples - I don't see any personal attack intended within.

I'd simply request all to return to the thread topic.

Meh.  Everything we think is necessarily based on real world examples, just modified by magical circumstance.  I find the puerile "well this is a magic world with dragons, real thing X doesn't apply because I don't want it to!" rather conveniently applied.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ochoa said:

As an illustrator for RPGs, I am glad I've not had the honor of illustrating for RQ, after reading this thread. 

That's a shame because imo every illustrator brings a unique vision and perspective.  Jeff's art direction is imo irreproachably thorough and concise, allowing artists pretty free-range interpretation for the creative bits.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ochoa said:

Oh, we are a crotchety group of critics, but in the end, this kind of critique means that the artist got so much right.

And many of us will be happy to give similar nitpicks on early drafts...

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Ochoa said:

Pretty much the gold standart for me at this point.

Yeah, the fact that some of that was shared with the community was cool too, because it really gave us all insight into how much WORK goes into (apparently) every single illustration.

Neat.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

... the denizens are a bit rabid here...

Only the Malia worshippers.

And the the broo, whoever they worship.

🤔

OK, that may be a high proportion of the denizens here, but not ALL of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig