Prince Valiant dropped?

I went to look for the Prince Valiant stuff and I can't find the RPG or supplement listed on Drivethru or at Chaoium's site. Did Prince Valiant go out of print again? Was the license transfered to someone else?

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I went to look for the Prince Valiant stuff and I can't find the RPG or supplement listed on Drivethru or at Chaoium's site. Did Prince Valiant go out of print again? Was the license transfered to someone else?

The license Nocturnal Media secured with the owner of the Prince Valiant IP has expired.

We hope to be able to renew it, but in the mean time the Prince Valiant line is unavailable. 

2 hours ago, MOB said:

The license Nocturnal Media secured with the owner of the Prince Valiant IP has expired.

We hope to be able to renew it, but in the mean time the Prince Valiant line is unavailable. 

Ah, that makes some sense.  Well, I guess I'll just have to hold onto my money until the line returns. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Is there anything new on this? I've been reading the comic for a while and wanted to check out the game, but when I went to the site I discovered it was down.

There are still a handful of hard copy rule-books still available over at places like Amazon. 

1 minute ago, Richard S. said:

Yeah, but I don't really want to invest in a hardcover for a game I may never play.

I understand. I just wanted to let you know just in case. And there are always used books floating around on eBay.

TO give you a little insight into the game, it was really designed as a RPG that could be taught and played in a few minutes as opposed to most RPGs which take time to explain and to generate characters. To put it very simply, Prince Valiant uses a very simple set of game mechanics where you toss coins instead of dice. Generally you toss coins based on stat and/or skill, plus any modifiers. In extended contests (such as combat) the loses subtracts the diffidence from his coin pool for future tosses. Characters earn Fame while adventuring and when they get 1000 points they can improve a skill on their sheet. Yes there is more too it, but that's the basic game mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Hteph said:

Perhaps a bit of info on the product page would be .... professional, just a half empty page and broken links feels a bit ... unorganised.

Not much point in their updating the page until they find out if they still have the rights to distribute it or not.

17 hours ago, Hteph said:

Perhaps a bit of info on the product page would be .... professional, just a half empty page and broken links feels a bit ... unorganised.

Thing is, they'd really need a whole web-design staff to be able to do those kinds of temporary revisions.

Yes, the current situation is lacking; but it's not like this is a free service, they need to pay people do do a professional (and secure) job... or task it internally to someone who then won't be doing other "productive" (relating to currently-salable product) work.

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think, if you have a web-shop, you should update your product pages at least monthly or something. That is a minimum level of maintanance, especially when a whole product line is dropped/suspended/whatever. The webshop has gotten better by leaps and bounds, but it is months and months now that Valiant stumbled into limbo.

of course you need dedicated (at least part time) staff for your sales venue, not having it feels .... dangerous.

• 2 months later...