What would a new character know? Any resources outlining what a new character might know?

Nevun

2 hours ago, Ochoa said:

What how where!

Sorry about that,  one could go to the Glorantha Forum and as of today Dragon Pass Pastimes is near the top as it has been recently used. One could also click here if soltakss's little secret works... 

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/9665-dragon-pass-pastimes/

Yay, soltakss!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Soapbox time 

(flee, disengage, run away!)

On 6/30/2019 at 6:45 PM, Nevun said:

As players they know very little about the game world and i don't necessarily want to overwhelm them. That said there's some stuff they should know. I was wondering if there are any good outlines along the lines of "What the shaman told you..." Maybe it's right there in the books already and I missed it. Any suggestions?

There needs to be a replacement to the old Thunder Rebels for HW, Though non-canonical it was/is one of the few tomes available that tell the tale of wonder that should be given to new, and old, players alike.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

Oh what was a poor GM to do? I decided to not fret and to take advantage of the situation. My game does not have to match canon, my game could become canon (granted, my own canon, but...)

I have always thought it a bad idea to argue with an individual with their own canon:).

On 7/2/2019 at 2:44 PM, Nevun said:

For instance, if I described water flowing up and over a hill to continue downstream, my players would assume something out of the ordinary was happening and spend ages investigating. Their characters would probably have shrugged and said "I has always been this way". I'd like to know more of these instances myself.

in a different thread I brought up the idea of wonder as a narrators tool as opposed to mechanics.

Sometimes you just need to tell a story and not need stats for the story,. In that now non-canonical tome of years past the idea that the old women upon awaking a stead would start by praying to the goddesses take down bags filled with little happy carefree winds.They would sing and dance about the steads releasing the pet winds (okay I am making up the singing and dancing but if you don't like it say hello to my little friend (pats canon)) and the freed winds and breezes and dust devils would also dance and cavort about the stead chasing off bad airs and miasmas. Sending smoke up and out of the hearth and bringing freshness to the waking stead

I do not need to know the CHA or POW or HPs of the spirits that wake the stead with joy (how much joy, what is the measure... huh?). Nope, not in my Glorantha. Whatever you bring to the table do not forget the wonder.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I do not need to know the CHA or POW or HPs of the spirits that wake the stead with joy (how much joy, what is the measure... huh?). Nope, not in my Glorantha. Whatever you bring to the table do not forget the wonder.

I suppose if I were a Stormbull waking to such madness I might need the HPs and Spirit Combat stats of the weaselly little gits (wake me up after a night in Geo's, will ya?) (see pic at left)

<grin>

Edited by Bill the barbarian

On 7/1/2019 at 1:45 AM, Nevun said:

I'm gearing up to start a new game with a few RQ/Glorantha neophytes. As players they know very little about the game world and i don't necessarily want to overwhelm them. That said there's some stuff they should know. I was wondering if there are any good outlines along the lines of "What the shaman told you..." Maybe it's right there in the books already and I missed it. Any suggestions?

This is always a difficult question.

A new PC might be a lay member or might be a seasoned veteran. Am experienced Gloranthan Player might be playing a 16 year old PC and a Player new to Glorantha might be playing an experienced Gloranthan Adventurer.

What I normally do is assume a basic level of knowledge, covering certain areas. Anything else you have to make an applicable Lore roll to know.

So, a 16 year old Sartarite Adventurer would know that Boldhome is the capital of Sartar, that Jonstown and Wilmkirk are towns in Sartar, maybe even that Whitewall is a friendly city near Sartar and that Pavis has a lot of Sartarites in Prax, but wouldn't know about settlements along the Zola Fel. An experienced Adventurer may well have been to Pavis and know a lot about it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here