klecser

King of Dragon Pass and RQG

I've been playing King of Dragon Pass this morning (it dropped to 3.70 USD ish on Steam, so I grabbed it.)

It is really helping me to understand the basic culture of Glorantha and the varied nature of the decision-making.

If you are a new player I think it is a great resource for scenario building and questing ideas.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, klecser said:

If you are a new player I think it is a great resource for scenario building and questing ideas.

agreed, Have not played on 10 years now and I truly miss playing it and wished it would run on modern macs, alas.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

agreed, Have not played on 10 years now and I truly miss playing it and wished it would run on modern macs, alas.

If you buy the updated version on Steam it will work with modern Macs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I am not sure that I want to buy it again. My disk is in perfect shape. 

They did remove the ability to choose the number of craftsmen BUT there are a few extra scenes and new art plus it is optimized to work with modern OS's without an issue including a slightly updated interface (mostly scaling, could be better). There are also community patches to try and improve running the original game on modern machines but those tend to be Windows focused so I dont know your luck there. I'd keep the disk because it's awesome but for the price I'd say pick the game up again as you'll certainly get your money's worth,

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DerKrieger said:

They did remove the ability to choose the number of craftsmen BUT there are a few extra scenes and new art plus it is optimized to work with modern OS's without an issue including a slightly updated interface (mostly scaling, could be better). There are also community patches to try and improve running the original game on modern machines but those tend to be Windows focused so I dont know your luck there. I'd keep the disk because it's awesome but for the price I'd say pick the game up again as you'll certainly get your money's worth,

Now, that does make a difference, warrior (if I have guessed the correct translation of your name). When I think of the tens of  tousands of dollars sitting in a shelf of programs that won't run or I would need to buy an expensive collectors Item computer to run...

Edited by Bill the barbarian

One of the nice things about KoDP is that the heroquests are broken down into nice 'chunks' that easily translate into RQ Heroquest stages and can be used in your games.

• Like 4

I love playing the KoDP soundtrack while I'm brainstorming ideas for adventures and writing down scenarios (and other happenings) for my Glorantha campaign. The game is very good, I love it to bits, but the music is fantastic and deserves a separate mention!

(EDIT: I have the GOG version which comes with the soundtrack, don't know if the Steam version does.)

Edited by Lurking Grue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurking Grue said:

(EDIT: I have the GOG version which comes with the soundtrack, don't know if the Steam version does.)

Steam version does have the soundtrack.

14 hours ago, ingot said:

I notice that King of Dragon Pass was mentioned in the New York Times a couple of days ago (or at least their website):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/arts/gaming-introduction-basics-quarantine-coronavirus.html

Dang it, looks like I've had my five free articles of the month already. Anyone care to summarize the mention for me? 😅

9 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Dang it, looks like I've had my five free articles of the month already. Anyone care to summarize the mention for me? 😅

"If you’re looking for a great microtransaction-free iPad game for adults that provides a rare mix of storytelling and strategy, try King of Dragon Pass."

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, klecser said:

I've been playing King of Dragon Pass this morning (it dropped to 3.70 USD ish on Steam, so I grabbed it.)

It is really helping me to understand the basic culture of Glorantha and the varied nature of the decision-making.

The Orlanthi culture, you mean, yes. It is a great videogame. When you play it through, you'll want to play Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind😉

• Like 1