Jump to content

King of Dragon Pass and RQG


Recommended Posts

I've been playing King of Dragon Pass this morning (it dropped to 3.70 USD ish on Steam, so I grabbed it.)

It is really helping me to understand the basic culture of Glorantha and the varied nature of the decision-making.

If you are a new player I think it is a great resource for scenario building and questing ideas.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I am not sure that I want to buy it again. My disk is in perfect shape. 

They did remove the ability to choose the number of craftsmen BUT there are a few extra scenes and new art plus it is optimized to work with modern OS's without an issue including a slightly updated interface (mostly scaling, could be better). There are also community patches to try and improve running the original game on modern machines but those tend to be Windows focused so I dont know your luck there. I'd keep the disk because it's awesome but for the price I'd say pick the game up again as you'll certainly get your money's worth,

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DerKrieger said:

They did remove the ability to choose the number of craftsmen BUT there are a few extra scenes and new art plus it is optimized to work with modern OS's without an issue including a slightly updated interface (mostly scaling, could be better). There are also community patches to try and improve running the original game on modern machines but those tend to be Windows focused so I dont know your luck there. I'd keep the disk because it's awesome but for the price I'd say pick the game up again as you'll certainly get your money's worth,

Now, that does make a difference, warrior (if I have guessed the correct translation of your name). When I think of the tens of  tousands of dollars sitting in a shelf of programs that won't run or I would need to buy an expensive collectors Item computer to run...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love playing the KoDP soundtrack while I'm brainstorming ideas for adventures and writing down scenarios (and other happenings) for my Glorantha campaign. The game is very good, I love it to bits, but the music is fantastic and deserves a separate mention!

(EDIT: I have the GOG version which comes with the soundtrack, don't know if the Steam version does.)

Edited by Lurking Grue
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...
14 hours ago, ingot said:

I notice that King of Dragon Pass was mentioned in the New York Times a couple of days ago (or at least their website):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/arts/gaming-introduction-basics-quarantine-coronavirus.html

Dang it, looks like I've had my five free articles of the month already. Anyone care to summarize the mention for me? 😅

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 5:58 PM, klecser said:

I've been playing King of Dragon Pass this morning (it dropped to 3.70 USD ish on Steam, so I grabbed it.)

It is really helping me to understand the basic culture of Glorantha and the varied nature of the decision-making.

If you are a new player I think it is a great resource for scenario building and questing ideas.

The Orlanthi culture, you mean, yes. It is a great videogame. When you play it through, you'll want to play Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:46 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

agreed, Have not played on 10 years now and I truly miss playing it and wished it would run on modern macs, alas.

If you have one of the latest Macs, I believe you can play the version from the iOS App Store. (I launched it on my M1 MacBook Air but didn’t do any extensive testing.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alakoring said:

If you have one of the latest Macs, I believe you can play the version from the iOS App Store. (I launched it on my M1 MacBook Air but didn’t do any extensive testing.)

It is a different game though. The mechanics are different, the iOS version doesn't allow you to allocate the three different grain productions for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alakoring said:

If you have one of the latest Macs, I believe you can play the version from the iOS App Store. (I launched it on my M1 MacBook Air but didn’t do any extensive testing.)

Unfortunately after having only played 1 game at the turn of the millennium, the game did not make the jump to Intel Macs so for 2 decades i looked at my pretty pristine disk in sorrow. Finally bought it again this year to find it will not run on 64 bit so I have now bought this game twice an done played it once. No use getting used to it now as I plan my migration to 64 bit only. That you say it will work on a M! chip is news I will try to find out if there is a 64 bit version I can get (not from the app store it seems wish s confusing by what you say)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whereas I've bought it 4 times. Once for my nephew's iPhone when it was released for iOS, and 3 times for myself on iPad, Android phone, and Steam in 2015. I haven't even installed Steam. 😉

King of Dragon Pass prompted my purchase of an iPad.

Edited by AndrewTBP
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 1:08 AM, Lurking Grue said:

The game is very good, I love it to bits, but the music is fantastic and deserves a separate mention!

    Duh-doo doo-de-doo doo-de-doode-doo-dedoo
Doo-de-doo doo-de-doo doo-de-doode-doode-doo
    Duh-doo doo-de-doo doo-de-doode-doode-doo
Doo-de-doo doo-de-doo doo-de doo-doo-doode-oo

    Dadoo-doo-dedoooo
    Daddo-doo-dedoooo
    Dadoo-doo-dedoooo
Doo-de-doode-doode-dooo

    Duh-doo doo-de-doo doo-de doode-doo-dedoo
Doo-de-doo doo-de-doo doo-de doode-doo-dedoo

(Enjoy the earworm!)

Edited by Whizbang
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/19/2021 at 11:48 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

Unfortunately after having only played 1 game at the turn of the millennium, the game did not make the jump to Intel Macs so for 2 decades i looked at my pretty pristine disk in sorrow. Finally bought it again this year to find it will not run on 64 bit so I have now bought this game twice an done played it once. No use getting used to it now as I plan my migration to 64 bit only. That you say it will work on a M! chip is news I will try to find out if there is a 64 bit version I can get (not from the app store it seems wish s confusing by what you say)

If you have an M1 Mac, you can get King of Dragon Pass from the Mac App Store.

Screen Shot 1.png

KoDP on MacBook Air.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, alakoring said:

If you have an M1 Mac, you can get King of Dragon Pass from the Mac App Store.

 

Late ’13 iMac, with Mojave, so while not cutting edge reasonably modern. Paying 1500 canadian bucks for a chance to play this sounds silly, even for me.  I see in the upper right hand corner it says six ages... is this a 6 ages or KoDP game you are referring to? Judging by the screen shots it looks like old skool KoDP.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

You noticed the button that gives you more info about Six Ages, but not the window title or menu title? 🙂 You should also be able to play the App Store build of Six Ages on an M1 Mac, but the Steam version would probably be more computer friendly.

The App Store build of King of Dragon Pass is not old school, and you can play it on an M1 Mac. (To play the old school version, you need an old school Mac that can run an app built for PowerPC architecture.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...