Spirits and Powered crystals

Shiningbrow

1 hour ago, Crel said:

So what about a sentient elemental?

They have physical form, so I don't see why not. As long as they can maintain the physical form for the period required to attune the crystal. There may be a question as to whether the crystal remains attuned if the body dissolves though.  That would be my argument against a fetch attuning a crystal as well - they may be able to materialize long enough for the ritual (a week IIRC), but when they dematerialize, the connection with the crystal may break (just as with a person dying). [Or perhaps the attunement remains - maybe that's why reattuning is required as it breaks any prior attunements by others.]

I'd allow it (and have done so with NPC's) only if the spirit has a myth/history of dealing with other spirits, such as the ghost of a shaman or priest. Of course the crystals are fixed to the middle world, so a Genius Loci would be ideal. 

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'm sure there are crystals in the spirit world as well. Why wouldn't there be?

Because it's formless?

Since the crystal represents dried, solidified god's blood, I don't see that such a form can exist in the Spirit World (the Godtime, yes). Could there be some equivalent? Perhaps, but would be something like a memory or dream, not physical.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:03 AM, jajagappa said:

Since the crystal represents dried, solidified god's blood, I don't see that such a form can exist in the Spirit World (the Godtime, yes). Could there be some equivalent? Perhaps, but would be something like a memory or dream, not physical.

I was thinking similar, the gods were hurt in the spirit world so there should be blood from the wounds but why would it appear as we see blood...

What does mytha-physical blood look like?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
That to what

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

the gods were hurt in the spirit world

I'd probably play it as this: the gods were hurt in the Godtime and bled out there. When Time came, the dried blood remained as crystals in the Mundane World. If you want the fresh blood, or more powerful crystals, you need to HeroQuest into the Godtime to get that. The wound the gods suffered caused pain, grief, and nightmare memories that passed into the Spirit World. This may be one of the origins of Pain and Grief Spirits, which can certainly be captured and bound. The memories must linger as well - can you find and attune such a memory? Probably. Not quite sure what one might do with it if attuned, but maybe can serve some similar purpose as certain types of crystals. And not quite sure how you'd "bind" it, but … Why not!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Is there any (good) reason why an allied spirit or ancestor, or even Fetch couldn't attune a powered crystal?

No, in RQ2 having an Allied Spirit meant that you could attune two Crystals. There are examples in the RuneMasters supplement, I believe.

We played that a Fetch could also attune a Powered Crystal, as it is a separate part of a Shaman's soul.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 7/4/2019 at 6:59 PM, HreshtIronBorne said:

We have always played that a shaman can attune a crystal and his fetch can attune one too, since RQ3. It was one of the cooler side benefits of shamanhood. I have no idea if that is supported by the RAW or anything. 

For what it's worth, I was rummaging through RQ3 Elder Secrets recently and yes, fetches attuning to a second crystal is supported in that text. P.36 of the "Secrets Book".

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website