Strike Ranks Adding Up to Over 12

fhoyt

Hello,

I have two questions about strike rank in  Runequest Glorantha:

(1) What happens with combat strike ranks over twelve? This much I understand: There are 12 strike ranks per melee round and characters are able (for example) to attack on the strike rank that corresponds what I'll call their effective strike rank (SIZ SR + DEX SR + weapon SR).

So, for example, Hadrast the Hirsute  has a 16 for SIZ and 18 for DEX, giving him a attribute SR 2. Hadrast uses a Broadsword, listed on p.208 as having a SR 9, so Hadrast can attack with his sword on SR 11. However, if Sweortbrok the Sweaty as a 14 for both SIZ and DEX, his personal SR is 4. If Sweortbrok uses a broadsword, he would have an effective SR of 13. If there are only 12 SRs in a melee round, on which SR does Sweortbrok get to go? Round down to 12? On SR 1 of the next melee round?

I note that in the Classic RQ ("RQ2") rule book, weapons are listed with much lower strike ranks. For example, a pike (p.25 of the RQ2 book) has a strike rank of 0, while in the RQG book it has a strike rank of 11 (p.209), while in RQ2 a broadsword has a SR of 2 compared with 9 in RQG. Furthermore, some weapons on the table on pp.208-209 of RQG have strike ranks higher than 12: A two-handed hammer is listed with a SR of 17. Would a character wielding one of these be limited to one attack every two melee rounds? This is very confusing.

(2) What happens with SR ties? If two characters are fighting each other and each has an effective SR of (say) 5, do they hit each other simultaneously? Or would their players resort to a dice roll to break the tie?

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, fhoyt said:

So, for example, Hadrast the Hirsute  has a 16 for SIZ and 18 for DEX, giving him a attribute SR 2. Hadrast uses a Broadsword, listed on p.208 as having a SR 9,

I guess you confused the minimum STRength of 9 with the Strike Rank column (last but one). Weapon strike ranks range between zero and four.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

21 minutes ago, fhoyt said:

(2) What happens with SR ties? If two characters are fighting each other and each has an effective SR of (say) 5, do they hit each other simultaneously? Or would their players resort to a dice roll to break the tie?

They are resolved simultaneously. And don't worry about simultaneous parries, just roll as usual. A parry isn't always a literal blade-clash at that exact moment, it can just as much be maoeuvering and threatening leading up to the potential attack.

Joerg has already covered the STR vs SR confusion! You aren't the first to fall into that trap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

They are resolved simultaneously...

I thought you checked for highest DEX before simultaneous resolution.  Within a given SR, higher DEX goes before lower DEX.

Only when (on the same SR) the DEX'es are identical do you resolve simultaneously (which can result iba double-kill / etc).

Edited by g33k
Mobile editor SUX BROO BALLS.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just now, g33k said:

I thought you checked for highest DEX before simultaneous resolution.  Within a given SR, higher DEX goes before lower DEX.

Without checking I would call that suspect for the very same reason I would have to check/

Is this rules bleed from former games (BRP or otherwise) remembered or is it current RAW? I catch myself on this on a regular basis. And I know that rule has existed before RQ G.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Without checking I would call that suspect for the very same reason I would have to check/

Is this rules bleed from former games (BRP or otherwise) remembered or is it current RAW? I catch myself on this on a regular basis. And I know that rule has existed before RQ G.

It's very possible.  I cannot check my recollection at the moment, however.

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Only when (on the same SR) the DEX'es are identical do you resolve simultaneously (which can result iba double-kill / etc).

You're right, attacks on the same SR are supposed to be in DEX order, or simultaneous if both have the same DEX. Since it's quite ok to resolve them simultaneously, though, I just skip the DEX thing and go straight to simultaneous on the SR. It's quicker and easier, and leads to more frequent interesting outcomes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

You're right, attacks on the same SR are supposed to be in DEX order, or simultaneous if both have the same DEX. Since it's quite ok to resolve them simultaneously, though, I just skip the DEX thing and go straight to simultaneous on the SR. It's quicker and easier, and leads to more frequent interesting outcomes.

Thanks Phil, glasses aint worth a damn these days. 

And needless to say, but allow me to say it anyway, you are correct g33k.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!