Hitpoints for Doors?

Merudo

It would depend upon the material that the door is made of and how thick it is.

It also depends upon how crunchy you want to get. 

Crunchy:

You could add increasing damage reduction to a door based upon its material. Steel and iron doors have greater DR than wooden doors. Oak better than pine.

You could have hit points be based upon the thickness of the doors.

Page 138, Chase rules:

"Sample barriers hit points:
Internal door or thin wooden fence: 5 hit points.
Standard back door: 10 hit points.
Strong domestic external door: 15 hit points.
9” brick wall: 25 hit points.
Mature tree: 50 hit points.
Concrete bridge support: 100 hit points."

Streamlined:

From page 83 of the rulebook: 

"Harvey failed to persuade the librarian to open
up, so he has decided to force the backdoor of the
library. Harvey has a STR of 20. The library door
is made of thick oak, with a stout iron lock, and the
Keeper judges it to be particularly strong. The difficulty
level is thus set to Hard, requiring Harvey to roll 10
or below (half Harvey’s STR)."

Note that, in that case, the Keeper just set a difficulty for Strength.

Edited by klecser

0. Why? It's very little fun to play battledoors. No one wants to go three rounds with a door because of bad rolls. Make one skill check, make it funny of they roll bad, and get them through the door and into the game. If there's a reason a door is extra strong, make that part of the narrative in a fun way.

26 minutes ago, tpkthulhu said:

0. Why? It's very little fun to play battledoors. No one wants to go three rounds with a door because of bad rolls. Make one skill check, make it funny of they roll bad, and get them through the door and into the game. If there's a reason a door is extra strong, make that part of the narrative in a fun way.

Everybody has different play styles. In an investigative game, having a tough obstacle can be a real tension builder. This could be both as an obstacle that the Keeper is keeping a monster behind, or as a chase/investigation obstacle for investigators. When exactly will the monster break through? Will the cultist get away in the time it took them to knock down the door?

So, your perspective is one of a myriad of options for Keepers to consider. I do not think that advising any Keeper that there is only one right way to do something keeps people playing the game. This Board needs to be all about options if we are to continue to attract new players.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

For me, if the door itself is a puzzle, or the lock is an obstacle, and the investigators can't just blow through it that does pique their interests as they zoom-in to more closely examine the door. The door could be magically warded, or the lock could be trapped. Puzzling through a mysterious door can be an entertaining encounter. 

As for the hit points... 

Soft wood -- 6 HP

Hard wood -- 10 HP

Metal -- 18 HP 

Thick / Hardy / Reinforced -- 25 HP

These are just numbers that feel right to me. I haven't based them on anything that may already be documented in the core rulebook. This just feels like something I'd adjudicate on the fly at the table. 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:02 PM, tpkthulhu said:

In the next one-off I'll run, my investigators will most likely barricade some doors to stop a rampaging zombie horde (plus a demon). 

If it makes sense I might give the door HPs, to determine how long the door lasts.

Edited by Merudo
  • Like 2