Learning spirit magic

Manu

I try to have a clear view on how to learn new spirit magic spells

A shaman can teach a spell (one week to do so)

On a temple, you can learn spirit magic (How log does it take???)

When you beat a spirit in spirit combat, you can learn one of his spell (every one? Or just a shaman?)

Any other ways?

Edited by Manu

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

The problem with the "beat up a spirit, get a spell" mechanism is that it doesn't explain where the focus comes from. You need a focus. You know the spell. You don't have a focus. Can you cast the spell? Technically, I guess not.

Good catch!

I think you also learn how to create the focus.

THEN you can cast the spell.  😁

(in my Glorantha, you don't NEED the focus, but casting without a focus is a  s-l-o-w  and rather risky process -- you need a 10-min meditation, + 1 min per point of spell effect, as you laboriously construct the spell; doing this shows up in the Spirit World as interesting, so you're likely to be interrupted by investigating spirits.)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

The problem with the "beat up a spirit, get a spell" mechanism is that it doesn't explain where the focus comes from. You need a focus. You know the spell. You don't have a focus. Can you cast the spell? Technically, I guess not.

Not sure if you meant it this way, but you can cast any spirit magic spell without a focus (p254 ).

However, that doesn't mean a focus wasn't required to learn the spell originally.

13 minutes ago, g33k said:

Good catch!

I think you also learn how to create the focus.

THEN you can cast the spell.  😁

(in my Glorantha, you don't NEED the focus, but casting without a focus is a  s-l-o-w  and rather risky process -- you need a 10-min meditation, + 1 min per point of spell effect, as you laboriously construct the spell; doing this shows up in the Spirit World as interesting, so you're likely to be interrupted by investigating spirits.)

Your Glorantha is nasty... RAW, unfocused casting only adds 1 melee!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Your Glorantha is nasty... RAW, unfocused casting only adds 1 melee!

???

I need to read the RAW closer, then!

When I'm back home with my books, and/or with device that have my e-copies.

C'es ne pas un .sig

5 minutes ago, g33k said:

???

I need to read the RAW closer, then!

When I'm back home with my books, and/or with device that have my e-copies.

"It is possible to cast any spirit magic spell without a focus, but it takes two melee rounds to do so, the first round being spent in carefully visualizing the focal symbol necessary for the spell and the target it must affect."

P254

14 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

"It is possible to cast any spirit magic spell without a focus, but it takes two melee rounds to do so, the first round being spent in carefully visualizing the focal symbol necessary for the spell and the target it must affect."

P254

TYVM !

(bonus points for explicitly citing the page# with the quote)

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

P254

Ok, thanks for that!

On 7/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Not sure if you meant it this way, but you can cast any spirit magic spell without a focus (p254 ).

Seems to me that @Jason Durall mentioned that there are spells that do require focus. Finding spells specifically that need something to indicate a way... A marble, a drowsing rod, a plumb bob.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, Shiningbrow said:

Lack of page numbers on quotes is really annoying!

Mostly agree but there are several circumstances that make it Impractical. The preceding quote in this post for example. Also, if just expressing an opinion instead of a fact well... I will grant you a page number would strengthen an opinion but might just as well make it a fact, and remember opinions have feelings too.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Seems to me that @Jason Durall mentioned that there are spells that do require focus. Finding spells specifically that need something to indicate a way... A marble, a drowsing rod, a plumb bob.

Is that as the focus? Or merely a material component?

Also, seems weird to me..  the vast majority of spells don't require, so making Detect spells have them seems out of Gloranthan place.

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

not sure that there really is a difference.

Bladesharp requires a blade, as well as a focus.

Coordination requires some person or animal, as well as the focus.

I can see that the marble etc could be used as a focus, or part of the focus... But remember that a focus is supposed to be something that helps the mind to..  focus. And, should be unique for each person (even if copied).

Which does lead to an interesting question... Can you use someone else's spell focus?

We pretty much do away with having to have a focus. It adds nothing to the game and can be a real pain. Most PCs will have a focus on a ring, armband, pair of shoes and so on, just in case they lose one or more of them. Brave ones will have them incorporated in different tattoos, hoping that they aren't all ripped off.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Manu said:

Will shaman charge the same price as temples?

It depends on what you want in your game.  If you want simplicity and quick access to a spell - then yes. If you want your players to work at something, then the shaman is likely to charge them a task rather than coin - e.g. "bring me a shrubbery!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It depends on what you want in your game.  If you want simplicity and quick access to a spell - then yes. If you want your players to work at something, then the shaman is likely to charge them a task rather than coin - e.g. "bring me a shrubbery!"

Yes but at least I have a 'value' of each relative spell : which one is a big or a small shrubbery