Combat clarifications for a new player

Belisar

I just started to dive into Call of Cthulhu 7e and I really like, what I see now. Combat and skill rolls are easy and intuitive. Still I would like to ask for clarifications on the two following topics:

Diving for cover, when shot at with a firearm:

- Is the dodge roll made before the attack with the firearm? Or is the penalty die applied after a potential hit by the attacker?

- Does the dive for cover count for every attacker with a firearm  in the round? And if not can the defender dive for cover more than once per round, because every dive for cover is technically a dodge skill roll? Or does the target just count as being partially covered for further attacks after one successful dive for cover?

Thanks in advance.

I read it as making the Dodge skill roll before the attack, since the Dodge result determines whether the attacker suffers a penalty die on their Firearms roll or not.

I'd apply the penalty die (if achieved) to all attackers with firearms for the round, but that's purely a personal judgement and not anything supported by the rules.

• Like 2

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason