Spending Luck in Pulp Cthulhu, no need for pushed rolls?

frood42

Recently picked up Down Darker Trails and Shadows Over Stillwater, decided to run it using Pulp Cthulhu.
After a couple of sessions in I realised that no one had been pushing their rolls but they had been spending Luck to correct failed rolls (where allowed).

We haven't been playing Pulp for long so don't have the experience, but in your experience does the Luck mechanic minimise the use of pushed rolls in Pulp Cthulhu?

As a keeper it's delightful when players spend their luck points willy nilly, I'm constantly calling for luck rolls and group luck rolls for all kinds of random things, and everything gets fun when that gets low.

Also for Pulp your players (and you) should be closely tracking that 30 point minimum to spend all your luck for avoiding certain death - and certain death should be coming up.

It should even out.

• Thanks 1

I would say that it reduces the use of Pushed rolls if there's Luck available, especially when Luck is at a high point; that's certainly been my experience of running MoN  with the Pulp Luck rules albeit not in a pulp style. I suspect that when Luck begins to get low then we'll see the emergence of more Pushed rolls, which may mean that when things get desperate it will do so in a more pronounced way.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for the feedback. We had a second session with no pushed rolls. 

But I have to say I completely forgot myself, I'm going to bring it up at the beginning of the next session and see what the players think. 

Once again, appreciate the comments.