Coming in Q1 2020: Gateways to Terror for Call of Cthulhu

MOB

On 7/30/2019 at 10:31 AM, midwinter said:

I haven't seen stuff like that enough to call it a cliché. Is it in books or movies?

I find it hard to believe someone posting in a subforum for Call of Cthulhu is claiming ignorance of the last 150 years of archaeological pseudoscience and occult narratives of prehistory. 

6 hours ago, midwinter said:

So, what ancient culture/civilization was created by a tribe of lost Scandinavians? I mean, Swedish vikings gave Russia it's name. So the story goes. They were men from Roslagen, Ruser. But they weren't lost and civilization existed before vikings got there. Are you talking hollow earth-stuff or Olaus Rudbeck and his crazy Atlantis ideas (I went to his father's gymnasium school)? Or Hyperborea and Gothicism?

Historically, there are stories of early explorers in Canada (and/or Iceland or Greenland) encountering blue-eyed, light-haired natives.  The theory was that survivors from the various failed Norse colonies were absorbed into local tribal populations, bolstered by the fact that some tribal languages seemed to have Norse words in their vocabularies.

Author Ian Cameron used this idea for his 1961 lost worlds adventure novel “The Lost Ones,” which Disney made into the 1974 movie “The Island At The Top of the World.”  Both are fun.  No Lovecraftian entities to illustrate but the yarn is as perilous as “At the Mountains of Madness.”

In summary, a discussion of eldritch horrors leads us inexplicably but inevitably to The House of Mouse.  Hmmmm.  Both Lovecraft and Disney were active in the 1920s and ‘30s.  Mickey Mouse launched the same year as Call of Cthulhu and Cool Air.  What are they not telling us!

Edited by seneschal

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2019 at 6:33 PM, klecser said:

You realize that most new Call of Cthulhu players are coming from DND, right? The future success of Call of Cthulhu is not going to be based off of what veterans do and do not purchase. It's going to be based off the strength of recruiting new players. The art makes complete sense, from a marketing standpoint, targeting the likely audience. "But I'M not that audience!" Well, then I guess you aren't that audience. That doesn't make the decision inappropriate.

Especially with the massive infusions we got from Crit Role and are now getting from Acq. Inc.. I wouldn't be suprised if that was half the point of this release. Anyway, the cover's fine and now I can NOT wait for the Dreamlands. I didn't even know that book was happening.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:01 AM, seneschal said:

In summary, a discussion of eldritch horrors leads us inexplicably but inevitably to The House of Mouse.  Hmmmm.  Both Lovecraft and Disney were active in the 1920s and ‘30s.  Mickey Mouse launched the same year as Call of Cthulhu and Cool Air.  What are they not telling us!

Enquiring minds want to know...

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2019 at 8:14 PM, Addison said:

I notice the cover has changed. Customer feedback is a good thing.

https://www.chaosium.com/gateways-to-terror-pdf/

Much as I like Huth’s work, as I’ve said, this new cover is in the right art direction, so to speak, for a basic-level CoC scenario collection.  It’s Indiana Jones-meets-Weird Tales, which is just fine, especially since “The Necropolis” is one of the three scenarios.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:18 PM, Addison said:

(although, not to start another tedious fight, the broader representation was a good thing)

This was the main aspect of Huth’s version I thought was a step in the right direction for drawing in new CoC players (and I didn’t want to derail the discussion with a history of African-American detective story heroes).  I hope Chaosium will keep this in mind for the future, even as they incorporate customer feedback about other art design elements.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, midwinter said:

I'm happy that the Slimer-green is gone. Now, whatabout the scenarios themselves? Are they dark, foreboding, creepy, weird? Isn't The Necropolis an old scenario? I seem to recall that they played that on the Into the Darkness-channel on Youtube quite some time ago.

If you read earlier in this thread you will see:  It is three introductory scenarios that have been used to demonstrate Call of Cthulhu at conventions, the key feature being that they are all designed to be played in a one to two hour time slot, and are ready to play with pre-made investigators with minimal set up time (other than reading them over first before running them). 

They are designed for introducing new players to the game, although can still be fun for everyone else too. If you are looking for new material, we just put out Lightless Beacon, and the forthcoming revised new edition of Dead Light includes a new scenario called Saturnine Chalice. Terror Australis had two new and large scenarios, and Berlin: The Wicked City had three new scenarios. We have plenty more new stuff coming out as well as revisions and updates to some classic material.

• Like 9

On 11/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, Mike M said:

If you read earlier in this thread you will see:  It is three introductory scenarios that have been used to demonstrate Call of Cthulhu at conventions, the key feature being that they are all designed to be played in a one to two hour time slot, and are ready to play with pre-made investigators with minimal set up time (other than reading them over first before running them). 

They are designed for introducing new players to the game, although can still be fun for everyone else too. If you are looking for new material, we just put out Lightless Beacon, and the forthcoming revised new edition of Dead Light includes a new scenario called Saturnine Chalice. Terror Australis had two new and large scenarios, and Berlin: The Wicked City had three new scenarios. We have plenty more new stuff coming out as well as revisions and updates to some classic material.

I'm glad that the cover was changed as well. The new cover is a big improvement over the more cartoonish earlier version. I hope a print copy of Gateways to Terror is available by early next year.

I've never run any of these one-shot scenarios, but I plan to do so at the upcoming KoboldCon 2020 in Colorado Springs in late April. Can each of the three scenarios be comfortably extended to three or four hours of play instead of just one to two hours? KoboldCon allocates four hour time slots for its events, and a somewhat longer one-shot would probably be more satisfying to the participants.

Thoughts?

59 minutes ago, Cloud64 said:

Hang on. So if I've already bought Dead Light I'm going to have to pay for it again to get the new scenario? 

Dead Light has been slightly revised to address a handful of issues in the original, it also has new art. But, you don't have to buy it unless you want to. We felt the the new edition would be more attractive if it came with another scenario. It will be a relatively low price point and still cheaper if you just purchase the PDF. 

• Like 5

I like the new direction for the cover, but I have to say: who holds a torch like that? It’s about to burn the guy’s hand off! Also, even in a strong wind (which I don’t believe would be happening in a recently opened tomb), no torch is going to curl over sideways. Maybe it is nitpicking, but I can believe a mummy come to life over the physics of that torch.

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, MiskatonicKnight said:

I like the new direction for the cover, but I have to say: who holds a torch like that? It’s about to burn the guy’s hand off! Also, even in a strong wind (which I don’t believe would be happening in a recently opened tomb), no torch is going to curl over sideways. Maybe it is nitpicking, but I can believe a mummy come to life over the physics of that torch.

The NBA wasn't founded until 1946 but we've seen Indiana Jones' adventures stray into the '40s and '50s.  Who we gotta sacrifice to sign Imhotep, Jr., there?  😉

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, MiskatonicKnight said:

I take the flame curling over sideways not as evidence of a strong wind, but as an indication of motion on the part of the adventurer. (Similar to when you move quickly while holding a sparkler.)

On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, Mike M said:

Dead Light has been slightly revised to address a handful of issues in the original, it also has new art. But, you don't have to buy it unless you want to. We felt the the new edition would be more attractive if it came with another scenario. It will be a relatively low price point and still cheaper if you just purchase the PDF. 

Hang on. So if I buy Saturnine Chalice, you'll throw in a copy of Dead Light, revised and with new art?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1