MOB

Coming in Q1 2020: Gateways to Terror for Call of Cthulhu

2 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Lots of people like being divisive. You’re not the first.

It turns out that there is an "ignore" feature that I'm making use of for some posters. ;) 

• Like 1

Putting on my moderator hat:

Let's get back to talking about the cover art and take the rest of the chat to somewhere else.

• Like 1

There's always the Alastor's Skull subforum for "everything else", but what is really the point of this "critical topic" about inclusion? It's not like you're convincing each other...

On 7/30/2019 at 10:31 AM, midwinter said:

I haven't seen stuff like that enough to call it a cliché. Is it in books or movies?

I find it hard to believe someone posting in a subforum for Call of Cthulhu is claiming ignorance of the last 150 years of archaeological pseudoscience and occult narratives of prehistory. 

19 hours ago, umlauthuth said:

I find it hard to believe someone posting in a subforum for Call of Cthulhu is claiming ignorance of the last 150 years of archaeological pseudoscience and occult narratives of prehistory. 

So, what ancient culture/civilization was created by a tribe of lost Scandinavians? I mean, Swedish vikings gave Russia it's name. So the story goes. They were men from Roslagen, Ruser. But they weren't lost and civilization existed before vikings got there. Are you talking hollow earth-stuff or Olaus Rudbeck and his crazy Atlantis ideas (I went to his father's gymnasium school)? Or Hyperborea and Gothicism?

6 hours ago, midwinter said:

So, what ancient culture/civilization was created by a tribe of lost Scandinavians? I mean, Swedish vikings gave Russia it's name. So the story goes. They were men from Roslagen, Ruser. But they weren't lost and civilization existed before vikings got there. Are you talking hollow earth-stuff or Olaus Rudbeck and his crazy Atlantis ideas (I went to his father's gymnasium school)? Or Hyperborea and Gothicism?

Historically, there are stories of early explorers in Canada (and/or Iceland or Greenland) encountering blue-eyed, light-haired natives.  The theory was that survivors from the various failed Norse colonies were absorbed into local tribal populations, bolstered by the fact that some tribal languages seemed to have Norse words in their vocabularies.

Author Ian Cameron used this idea for his 1961 lost worlds adventure novel “The Lost Ones,” which Disney made into the 1974 movie “The Island At The Top of the World.”  Both are fun.  No Lovecraftian entities to illustrate but the yarn is as perilous as “At the Mountains of Madness.”

In summary, a discussion of eldritch horrors leads us inexplicably but inevitably to The House of Mouse.  Hmmmm.  Both Lovecraft and Disney were active in the 1920s and ‘30s.  Mickey Mouse launched the same year as Call of Cthulhu and Cool Air.  What are they not telling us!

Edited by seneschal

This thread is no longer about the original post and has moved into other territories, which may be explored elsewhere than this thread.