Coming in Q1 2020: Gateways to Terror for Call of Cthulhu

MOB

17 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

Hang on. So if I buy Saturnine Chalice, you'll throw in a copy of Dead Light, revised and with new art?

Thanks for pointing out the "glass-half-full" that seems to be so frequently lost on some. No, folks, Chaosium is not destroying your life with their decisions. ;)

Edited by klecser
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, klecser said:

No, folks, Chaosium is not destroying your life with their decisions. ;)

C’mon @klecser, that is ridiculous hyperbole. All I did was state that I’d be paying for something I already have. Mike’s reply made some good points about why I might want to do that. It’s still a disincentive for me though, as I own and have run Deadlight and have made my own tweaks to it. Chaosium is a company I am fond of and want to do well, and they’re doing a good job of that right now.  That doesn’t mean I have to like, support or buy into everything they do, and that’s fine because we all have different tastes. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

C’mon @klecser, that is ridiculous hyperbole. All I did was state that I’d be paying for something I already have. 

Except that you really aren't. There are updates (yet to be disclosed), new art, and an added scenario. You don't even know how much it's going to cost. I don't see this as any different than purchasing Masks 7E or Terror Australis. People technically bought something they already had. With new art, an update on text, and some new material. Deadlight was one of the first (the first?) scenarios released for 7E and it is a great scenario that was lacking in the art department.

Are you buying Gateways to Terror in PDF or hard copy? We've had the text of those for a long time.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

No, folks, Chaosium is not destroying your life with their decisions.

Yes, this is hyperbole as stated and people will react poorly to it when they feel they were simply commenting or providing feedback. This seems to be your MO, both on YSDC and here. Just because people have opinions and desires which differ from yours or those of Chaosium, does not mean their opinion is wrong or they lack support for the game or Chaosium. You are always banging away about inclusiveness, but that respect doesn't seem to apply to those who have a different opinion than you. You might want to check that.

M

10 hours ago, klecser said:

updates (yet to be disclosed)

Exactly. When I asked the cheeky question I was not aware of what was going to be in it. I repeat, Mike offered reasons why I might want to purchase it that revealed more about it's content.

10 hours ago, klecser said:

Are you buying Gateways to Terror in PDF or hard copy? We've had the text of those for a long time.

Really? I've not got the scenarios, weren't they for Keepers running demo con games? I'm likely to buy the hard volume when it gets into my FLGS. I have in the past bought books that contain scenarios I already have: the  Sandy Petersen collection for example. In that case getting three new scenarios made it still good value. Purchases are value judgements – "Is it worth it for me?" – one new scenario when I have plenty of others yet to run, I'm not sure it holds enough value for me. Me not buying it will hardly ruin my life, nor will it send Chaosium into receivership.

I find it ironic I'm getting bashed here in a thread where (it would seem) people's complaints have got a book cover changed. For the worse IMHO – I think we now have something tropey and derivative instead of something vibrant and modern – but I don't judge books by their cover, so ultimately I'm not that bothered. 

Edited by Cloud64
  • Like 1

You're right Cloud, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That doesn't mean they are above criticism. You made a jest, and I jested back. You feel my jest was more harsh. That's fair. My humor trends to hyperbole, and that isn't always well-received on the internet where tone and facial expression aren't available.

To answer your question, you can join Cult of Chaos regardless of whether you intend to run those scenarios outside of your kitchen table. There is a LOT of content there. Drinking from a firehose level.

mdomino, there are other parts of my MO that you may have missed: like helping new players. Feel free to Ignore. You're not forced to read what I write. Heck, I've been ignoring YSDC for months now.

Edited by klecser

• 1 month later...

I bought the three one-shot scenario PDF supplement, "Gateways to Terror," and noticed a misspelling in the "What's in the Cellar?" synopsis on the back cover:

"Did a respected businessman really commit the bloody murder of his beloved wife in the cellar of the family's ancestral holiday cabin? While the body has never been found, it seems like the criminal has been caught. Is a terrible injustice abut to be served? Just what happened in that cellar?"

The spell-checker did not catch "abut," which should be "about." I wasn't sure where to post this suggestion for Chaosium, so I posted it here. Let's hope this minor typo gets fixed before the print edition is finalized (spelling and grammar errors seem to be an ongoing issue with 7th edition material). The typo is also in the product listing found on Chaosium's website.

https://www.chaosium.com/gateways-to-terror-pdf/

If I find any other errors while reading Gateways to Terror, I will post them here.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 1:42 PM, Mike M said:

Gateways to Terror is 3 short-play introductory scenarios. The cover is designed with introduction in mind to a more general audience. For core books, we aiming for more like the Berlin cover moving forwards. Art is subjective and some folk like what some others do not. Here's a sneak peak at one small element of the forthcoming Dreamlands cover.

Dream Crop copy.jpg

I didn’t catch this at the time but that a beautiful cover (and pardon my saying, but what a beautiful woman!). I just caught this at the edge of vision and had to weigh in sooo... It should sell one or two copies...

Thanks

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 12:58 AM, ColoradoCthulhu said:

I bought the three one-shot scenario PDF supplement, "Gateways to Terror," and noticed a misspelling in the "What's in the Cellar?" synopsis on the back cover:

"Did a respected businessman really commit the bloody murder of his beloved wife in the cellar of the family's ancestral holiday cabin? While the body has never been found, it seems like the criminal has been caught. Is a terrible injustice abut to be served? Just what happened in that cellar?"

The spell-checker did not catch "abut," which should be "about." I wasn't sure where to post this suggestion for Chaosium, so I posted it here. Let's hope this minor typo gets fixed before the print edition is finalized (spelling and grammar errors seem to be an ongoing issue with 7th edition material). The typo is also in the product listing found on Chaosium's website.

https://www.chaosium.com/gateways-to-terror-pdf/

If I find any other errors while reading Gateways to Terror, I will post them here.

<facepalmed>

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, Mike M said:

Gateways to Terror is 3 short-play introductory scenarios. The cover is designed with introduction in mind to a more general audience. For core books, we aiming for more like the Berlin cover moving forwards. Art is subjective and some folk like what some others do not. Here's a sneak peak at one small element of the forthcoming Dreamlands cover.

Dream Crop copy.jpg

I came looking to see if Chaosium had any plans to make a new Dreamlands sourcebook. It’s probably my single greatest request to see a new one made because the original two are so long out of print and hard to find. The Dreamlands are my favorite part of the mythos so I was just hoping for an update on this.

Also, just finished reading through my hard copy of Gateways this morning. I’m hoping I can convince some friends to play a game over Zoom some time soon.

• Like 5